• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

ASD and Pseudobulbar Affect

FayetheAspie

V.I.P Member
Pseudobulbar affect is known to occur as a comorbidity of another neurological condition. Autism does not seem to be on the list of comorbid conditions but I wonder if there can be a correlation between them. Does anyone relate to the symptoms. Online tests say that I probably have this. I laugh when embarrassed, uncomfortable scared, ect. including a couple of times when I was in potential danger (once when mean customers were in the store and once when my dad was in a rage.) I am not genuinely amused in these situations though it can be hard to convince some people. Personally I don't think this type of laughter even sounds the same as humour based laughter, but many neurotypical people do not seem to tell the difference. Ironically, people with profound autism (who supposedly would have empathy deficits) and similar conditions that I know seem to automatically know that I am scared and/or hurting at those times. I feel the emotions that I should but sometimes it expresses externally as laughter. When I genuinely find something funny it is extremely hard to stop laughing. Sometimes I just start laughing at random and don't know exactly why. At those times ,I do feel humor but do not associate the feeling to anything in particular. I have had random tears too but rarely. Also there have been times when tears would stream out of my eyes with the laughter.

I don't actually laugh but when people upset me I smile. It has a disturbing affect on most people, many assume it's because I'm looking for a fight and that can go either way. In truth it's just a nervous response.

I remember laughing when Dad was launching into one of his lectures/ reprimands. I'd be telling myself don't laugh, don't laugh, he'll get more mad. I'd be trying to stop the corners of my face from turning upwards but it was all in vain. Once you have the bug it's game over. That's why corpsing outakes are so funny!

I had the same thing cracking up outside the headmasters office, it was worse then because you had other kids setting you off! In my teens I was able to control the involuntary giggles, having had plenty of practice, but was still getting into as much trouble..

Last edited:
Pseudobulbar affect (PBA) is a condition that's characterized by episodes of sudden uncontrollable and inappropriate laughing or crying... The primary sign of PBA is frequent, involuntary and uncontrollable outbursts of crying or laughing that are exaggerated or not connected to your emotional state. Laughter often turns to tears. Your mood will appear normal between episodes, which can occur at any time. Crying appears to be a more common sign of PBA than laughing. - Mayo Clinic

New Threads

Top Bottom