• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I attended a speed dating event today

FeatherBird

Long story short, the event went well...until it didn't.

We had a 5 minute mini date with various attendees (the event lasted 2 hours; that means lots of 5 minute mini-dates). The mini-date part was the part that went well.

Then for the final 10 minutes of the event, the event became an open floor event (meaning anyone could mingle with anyone, we were encouraged to exchange contact information if we wanted, etc)

At the very beginning of the final 10 minutes, I asked about exchanging contact information with a woman I thought our 5 minute mini date went well with. I got turned down. I then went to talk to the woman I had my very first mini date with (as she was the only other woman who was by herself at that point). I never asked her for contact information (but I thought she might offer). No such luck.

There are a few other female attendees I wanted to ask (and my inkling tells me they might have said yeah). But they were already being swarmed by other men.

2 main problems that come with these type of events:

1. The gender ratio isn't in our favor (there were more male attendees than female attendees)
2. When the event becomes an open floor environment for the final 10 minutes, all that serves to do is humiliate those of us with ASD

New Threads

Top Bottom