• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Work

What do you do for work?

• Something I like

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something I dont like

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I dont have work!

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • I got a social payment and no work!

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Looking for work

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters

hmkey:)

What do you guys do for work?
Me myself I got a social payment for now but in the near future I would like to get a job.
It would be something like administration or IT, anyway one where I can use my "ability to think" :)

Added a poll, I cant exactly put all the kinds of work in there but it will work for now.
Just feel free to post here and tell us the thing you do :)

I'm thinking of getting myself a job when the summer holidays, I need something to do, without that, I probably be deadly bored (less likely).

I'm in college and I get paid £30 per week to attend to my lessons, but I have to get there early, that's the thing, otherwise I won't get paid.

My dream job would have to do with being creative like animations, graphic designs, IT etc.
I would love to work with the camera's and I have a very good chance of getting into a creative job since I won a couple of awards at school for animations.

I don't have a job at the moment but would want to work somewhere within ICT. Yes I know that's a huge field to explore. Computers are taking over so you could get a job nearly anywhere working with ICT. I like web design, graphics design and photography. I would love to learn video editing but Premiere Pro/After Effects looks complicated.

In the meantime I'm at college and on DLA.

I'm at high school (Y).
I plan to go to Runshaw college if I get the grades and accepted but idk if I will get accepted. If not I'll have to go to Preston college 'cause it's either that or Newman and 75% of my year is going to Newman and I hate my year.
Then idk. I want a job in either biology(I know that's not very specific but meh) or programming(simply because I figure it wouldn't involve a lot of talking).
EMZ=]

I am also at high school, but I will be graduated after summer. I have tried to get a job for the upcoming summer.

But what I want to do in the future? No idea. I should figure it out soon but I just don`t know, and that has started to frustrate me. Maybe a job which has something to do with history or philosophy. I have also been considered something like massage therapist, since it would fit perfectly with my Buddhism practice.

Massage therapist sounds like an easy/stress-free job. How would you cope with female customers though? Might not be stress-free after all.  

Massage therapist sounds like an easy/stress-free job. How would you cope with female customers though? Might not be stress-free after all.  

Yes, I have been thinking about that. But I have heard that during massage therapist classes you are been taught how to cope with naked people. And I think that if I want to cope with naked people, I`m have to change my way of thinking about nudity and humans in basics. I`m sure that Buddhism can help me in this as well.

programming(simply because I figure it wouldn't involve a lot of talking).
:thumbsup:
Do you "know" any programming language or are you learning one?
I used to do a lot with vb.net, and am now trying to switch to VC++, as that`s the future... :shifty:
(little hint: Students can get the Pro version of the MS IDEs for free!)

f. :)

Yes, I have been thinking about that. But I have heard that during massage therapist classes you are been taught how to cope with naked people. And I think that if I want to cope with naked people, I`m have to change my way of thinking about nudity and humans in basics. I`m sure that Buddhism can help me in this as well.

Or I can imagine that the female is actually a guy, disguised as a woman. Or maybe not...

Hard question to answer. I like my part time job, but it pays badly and physically I can't do it for long (bad knees), but am looking (not) because I have to, and at the same time I try to write and do stuff... I'm not on social though I have a partner who makes a decent living.

I am doing work i don't like but i need to get paid! But i am looking further for another job.
dry.gif

:thumbsup:
Do you "know" any programming language or are you learning one?
I used to do a lot with vb.net, and am now trying to switch to VC++, as that`s the future... :shifty:
(little hint: Students can get the Pro version of the MS IDEs for free!)

f. :)
I'm learning PHP very slowly. Web development and desktop development, same thing xD.
I've not bothered learning VB tbh. I learned QBASIC years ago but after that haven't bothered with anything.
Apparently PHP's syntax and C++'s syntax are very similar.
I'm taking ICT for A-Level(probably) because my Mum said it'd be an easy A and apparently you get to do some sort of software development in that but I'm terrible learning through speech so idk... I seriously can't remember anything like that from speech. When my ICT teacher talks about hardware I only understand what she's on about because I've already read about it.
I have semantic pragmatic learning impairment or something so that's why verbal instructions are basically impossible for me to absorb. If I were to learn a language it'd have to be at home and then I'd have no qualifications so idk if it's feasible I get a job in programming.
This post is all over the place, sorry.
EMZ=]

When I started out in programming, in 1984 at the age of 19, it was considered to be "the" most secure job to go into.

Even coming up to Y2K many were saying that there would be plenty of work for the next 20 or 30 years for COBOL programmers like myself. There was a perception that, with universities not even teaching the language any more and with so many legacy systems using it, there would be a growing shortage.

Meh, then all the jobs got outsourced due to a perception that it would save money. And in the business world, of course, perceptions count for a lot more than reality. It can happen now to any programming language, anything you do in IT that can be done more cheaply in the 3rd world will likely get outsourced eventually.

In Australia now, at least, IT degrees were once highly sought after and it was quite difficult to get a place at university. Nowadays universities are downsizing their IT faculties, and it is very difficult to get students. I certainly wouldn't recommend programming to anyone. After 20+ years as a programmer I was making a serious effort to get more into the systems analysis/business analysis side of things. That was before the worldwide recession went and f***ed everything up. I was perfecty happy to be a programmer for the next 20 years and then retire, but I really didn't see any secure future in it.

It is a hard job, a stressful job, and the pay used to be good. At 25 I was making about double the average adult wage. These days, if I had a job, it would be more like 30% above the average adult wage. In some Western countries business lobbies have driven a false perception that there is a shortage of IT workers across the board (for obvious self-serving reasons) and governments have adjusted their immigration quotas accordingly.

At the rate things are going, I probably would have no other choice but to get myself a part time job, will see what happens at the end of his week? :rolleyes2:

It sucks that happened #s.
I plan on living on my own anyway, or with just one other person so I don't think it'd matter so much in terms of having to support a family and need a lot of money.
I don't want a stressful job though. The few coding I do know I enjoy doing.
I'm not overly bothered what career I get 'cause I'm not overly bothered tbh what society thinks of me. I have other priorities in life. P:.
That doesn't mean I won't waste loads of time in College and University to help me get a high status job though (Y). LOL.
EMZ=]

I want to be an attorney and serve people with disabilities, and I want to work in politics. This summer I am hoping to get a cashiers job to save some money, so when I am working in politics next winter I'll have some money. Unfortunately to get started in politics you have to work for free.

When I started out in programming, in 1984 at the age of 19, it was considered to be "the" most secure job to go into.

Even coming up to Y2K many were saying that there would be plenty of work for the next 20 or 30 years for COBOL programmers like myself. There was a perception that, with universities not even teaching the language any more and with so many legacy systems using it, there would be a growing shortage.

Meh, then all the jobs got outsourced due to a perception that it would save money. And in the business world, of course, perceptions count for a lot more than reality. It can happen now to any programming language, anything you do in IT that can be done more cheaply in the 3rd world will likely get outsourced eventually.

In Australia now, at least, IT degrees were once highly sought after and it was quite difficult to get a place at university. Nowadays universities are downsizing their IT faculties, and it is very difficult to get students. I certainly wouldn't recommend programming to anyone. After 20+ years as a programmer I was making a serious effort to get more into the systems analysis/business analysis side of things. That was before the worldwide recession went and f***ed everything up. I was perfecty happy to be a programmer for the next 20 years and then retire, but I really didn't see any secure future in it.

It is a hard job, a stressful job, and the pay used to be good. At 25 I was making about double the average adult wage. These days, if I had a job, it would be more like 30% above the average adult wage. In some Western countries business lobbies have driven a false perception that there is a shortage of IT workers across the board (for obvious self-serving reasons) and governments have adjusted their immigration quotas accordingly.

the stuff my dad does is high level support for software used in local government and mod logistics and stuff, all the programing and coding and whatnot is outsourced to india, dirt cheap and extremely fast but the quality is ****, they are always having problems with the software which means that the team my dad works with has to work harder even though they laid off 3 of the fairly small team over christmas

the stuff my dad does is high level support for software used in local government and mod logistics and stuff, all the programing and coding and whatnot is outsourced to india, dirt cheap and extremely fast but the quality is ****, they are always having problems with the software which means that the team my dad works with has to work harder even though they laid off 3 of the fairly small team over christmas
Sounds about right. The reason that the development is extremely fast is the sheer number of developers that are thrown at any work.

I could rant for hours about this stuff, I've seen and experienced too much of it first hand and it is a bit scary (not to mention stupid) the way things are going. Too many decisions being made by bean counters. It is easy to say that you saved X$M by doing so many thousand man days of work in a 3rd world country. But once you add up the costs of rewriting, fixing, analysis, QA and sheer inconvenience.... you are often saving nothing at all.

One good sign I saw yesterday came from a project that the consultancy I am with now (even though I'm not working or getting paid yet) has been working on with one of the very big multinational IT companies, bidding for a corebanking project. The multinational pulled out of the bid because the software provider was insisting on outsourcing their development work, and the customer's risk analysts wanted much of the critical work done on site. So the worm has turned to some extent. My consultancy is trying to rescue the bid by providing on-site developers.

you're right, overseas they can spew out code like nobodys business because they can just throw people at it, costs ****all but they can never get it right, hence my dad still having a job

good luck with getting the corebanking thing

New Threads

Top Bottom