• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Advice On Bipolar Disorder?

total-recoil

Something kind of strange been happening my end and would be interested to get some imput. I have a friend who has been behaving very strange of late. He appears fairly normal, late fifties, been divorced and working at the same place I work. However, I strongly suspect he either lives in some kind of fantasy world or just tells outright lies. For example, I will get these weird texts. In one text he told me he had had an accident at work and had had a load of boxes fall on him and been taken to the local hospital. I was then bombarded with other texts that described the food in hospital, doctors and nurses there and these would sometimes come at three in the morning. Well, it was all just nonsense and never happened. The same guy then just laughs about the whole thing and finally admits it was "a joke". At this point, to be honest, I was getting a bit irritated.
Now the latest story is he's supposedly taken 3 weeks off work and has indeed not been there for at least a week. This happened after he had an argument with a boss at work. He told me he had gone to the main office and requested holiday leave but the bosses seem to know nothing about this. He told us all he was going to travel around Europe and, sure enough, I was getting more texts describing what he was doing in France and so on. However, he slipped up as he told me he was in France on Friday and would be in Germany the next day Saturday and yet two days later he tells me he is sipping baguette de tradition francais by day. So, I texted back to ask how come he is one day in France, goes to Germany and then back in France again? Hardly makes sense does it?
He's also told me some account of an affair he had with a girl at work which I now have come to believe is also part fiction. True they appear to be friends but she never indicated by her behaviour it was ever anything more than that. If this is also a fabrication it's kind of very dodgy territory as who wants people spreading gossip about them and does she know? I never asked her as you don't like to be intrusive.
Anyway, I began to suspect this guy has bipolar disorder and have discovered that lying is a part of bipolar depression. Sometimes the lying takes place as a means of attention seeking or due to manic episodes of depression where the individual sort of loses a grip on reality.
However, this is basically conjecture and I don't really know any more to what degree these stories are fiction.
Funny thing is I always seem to attract friends who are somehow not quite right.
And by the way I'm kind of angry over the whole situation as like most people I don't like being told a whole pack of lies although I understand he may not be in control.
Thoughts?

New Threads

Top Bottom