• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

After-feeling?

• Thread starter Thread starter Chris
  • Start date Start date
C

Chris

Thought I'd create a seperate thread to get a more specific discussion going on this... what did you feel after you were diagnosed? Obviously the answers will largely be dependant on whether or not you suspected you had AS, or if you were completely blind to it.

I was diagnosed recently and I already sort of knew, so it was no real shock. I'm kind of glad I have it though. I find it somewhat comforting that there is a tangible explanation for my issues.

My Mum told me like a month later after the diagnosis and I didn't really think any thing of it. This was when I was 11.
Then when I was 13 I did some research into it, for a random reason, and yeeer. I joined WP, met some cool peoples, joined some other support sites, quit all support sites after this big thing happened, then joined PsychForums for another reason, and then joined Aspergic for teh lulz.
:D.
EMZ=]

The same question was asked at WP just recently except it was in different wording. I replied there so I'll post my same answer here:

I was a kid when diagnosed so I didn't really think anything after that. I didn't even know what it was then. But I felt like a freak and stupid and abnormal. I thought it was no wonder I was stupid. I thought struggling in school meant I was stupid because kids had always told me I was. I couldn't understand how can smart people struggle in school? Wouldn't they be able to do their school work and not have a hard time with it? But lot of the times I didn't think about AS. I didn't put much thought into it until I was 14. Then I started reading about it and that explained everything.

I was never surprised or felt relieved or celebrated the label when diagnosed. It was never a big deal for me. Now today I don't have to worry about wondering if I could have it or not or worry about getting tested and having to write down a list of things I do and listing down what I remember in my childhood and worry about involving my parents. It's all been done in my childhood.

EDIT: Just looked at that user's sig and it is the same person who posted this thread. :)

Well mine is kinda a long story so I won't bore you with the details. Basically I missed a lot of school due to a car accident. After a lot of absence from school I was reffered to different people like social workers and such, then finally a doctor. I knew the doctor was a psychologist but was unaware that he was testing me for possible diagnoses. Then one day I received a letter posted to my house which basically said that I was being diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome. I had no idea what AS was other than the letter said (I think) that it was some social thing. I was shocked and rejected the diagnoses. I thought that the reason I didn't have any friends was due to my complete lack of attendance at school from the car crash. I then started to do some research on the internet and realised how much AS explained who I am. I could completely relate to it. So I finally accepted it. I suppose the most important thing to remember is that after diagnoses, you are still the same person as you were before it. You just now have a "label" that explains why you are the way that you are. 

I have already posted more details in the School thread if anyone wants to read more.

I didn't think about it until it became a problem, with a so-called professional telling my enemies at school that I was autistic, so they thought I was retarded or even more socially clueless than I was. Then I was outraged, angry, indignant, depressed, anxious, more.

I was just diagnosed on Monday. I am very confused and a little bit scared and depressed. Though I know I am not any different than I was before, I FEEL different and I don't know what has changed. It's all just very weird.

I can relate to that. It's definitely weird. Sometimes I feel like it's hanging over my head, then I remind myself I consider it a good thing... and I carry on. :)

I have been very vocal about my learning disabilities and putting myself at major risk for discrimination, particularly given that I want to go into law and politics, and now adding AS to the heap it's just like... really? I have to wonder who is going to elect an autistic state representative. :( It's hard to have society basically tell you, "you may be really good at this, but we're not going to let you do it anyway."

Plus the doctor told me that everything I have accomplished in life so far is extraordinary "for someone with autism." What a WEIRD perspective to have your life put in for you. I didn't expect to be diagnosed at all, so this has totally blindsided me.

ETA:

"That's the best way, just think of it as a label to describe who you are."

That is something I am struggling with. It seems like EVERYTHING about my personality can be attributed to this. So then I think.. if this is HFA, where does Ruby come into play? Where am I in all this? Maybe I just have to try harder to see it as a label rather than a disorder. I don't see it as a bad thing, but I do see it as a disorder, at least at the moment. Hmm.

I think for one to accept they have a disorder they have to remove most of the stigmas they have, esp. around mental illness, which can be hard.
EMZ=]

That is something I am struggling with.  It seems like EVERYTHING about my personality can be attributed to this.  So then I think.. if this is HFA, where does Ruby come into play?  Where am I in all this?  Maybe I just have to try harder to see it as a label rather than a disorder.  I don't see it as a bad thing, but I do see it as a disorder, at least at the moment.  Hmm.

Well, you're still you, right? That's all that matters. Having a diagnoses isn't a bad thing, if anything it helps you to understand why you're "unique". Ruby is still there and always has been.  :)

Ruby is the things you are interested in and the friends that you make, the things you've achieved and the goals you have set, she is your personality and the things that you own, the choices you make and the words that you speak. Your diagnosis is a term that explains the way you act sometimes when people call you weird. Ruby is who you are, Autism is the way you work.

New Threads

Top Bottom