• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anxiety related insomnia

Yeshuasdaughter

You know, that one lady we met that one time.
V.I.P Member
Whenever I have a serious medical appointment coming up, I don't get much sleep at all. Also, if someone I love is sick or in trouble, I don't get much sleep.

Like tonight, I fell asleep at a reasonable hour, but then woke up wide awake in the early AM, feeling kind of timid about this afternoon's appointment.

I usually wake up for a little while around 2 or 3, and that's normal. I pray, I play solitaire, and maybe fool around online for a moment, and then fall back asleep. But when big things are happening, I wake up a couple hours after falling asleep, and then cannot physically get back to sleep. And it goes on for hours.

I don't take sleeping drugs. I don't use Benadryl off label, as it causes me to have strange side effects. Vivid dreams and sometimes very light hallucinations, and feeling sort of off, mentally during the day. Melatonin and also GABA has a similar effect. These are all on my medication allergy list at the doctor.

I guess, I'll get up and make myself some herbal tea. I have hops. But I don't know how much it will help. it's like an adrenaline thing. Also I'll probably do the emotional freedom technique (tapping) to try to soothe myself back to get a couple more hours sleep.

Does that happen to anyone else, where your nervous system is so worked up because of the unknown, and you cannot get more than an hour or two of sleep per night?

What are your coping strategies? What helps you sleep?

I had a leftover cold chicken strip, and made tea with chamomille, hops, passiflora, and slippery elm. Sitting in bed, getting ready to lie down. Hopefully I can settle my mind and get another couple hours of sleep.

Your solution to sleeplessness is as good as any. I find that eating something light and drinking a warm drink sometimes helps me to settle down and go back to sleep. I hope all is well at your appointment today.

I suffer from this as well and don't always cope with it either. Not an instant solution, but getting enough activity during the day, getting outside for some time, preferably with sunlight exposure - it helps stabilise sleep even during more stressful times. Also regular meal times throughout the days, breakfast, lunch, supper - not too large but not too small either, otherwise I'll go search for a midnight snack.

I don't seem to feel fatigue until I'm ready to pass out. My son is the same way. So we both end up getting 6 hours or less of sleep on average.

Some people are sensitive to caffeine when it is consumed in the late afternoon or evening and that can affect a persons sleep duration.

After years of struggles one thing I've learned is that if I just try to lay quietly and meditate, it can seem as if I've just been struggling with thoughts for hours, but the clock has jumped ahead. Apparently, when stressed and not feeling safe, people can sleep with one brain hemisphere at a time. It isn't the best sleep, but it is far better than nothing. I save caffeine for when I really need it, and it really works, requiring some recovery time and sleep later.

I am a extremely light sleeper normally. So l can sleep and wake up in an hour. So l just accept it.

"To sleep, perchance to dream!"

Currently getting along with about 4 (broken) hours or so, and thoroughly hating it. I always used to sleep long and hard when younger, 12 hours was nothing at all, easy, but the last 20 years it's gradually diminished.

Auntie Boogs Advice Column
Obviously depending on what country (legality and supply etc) but some people can benefit from CBD Hemp (not cannabis, this is <0.2% thc), especially the more relaxing strains (indica types), make tea, smoke or vape (better to vape), or in food, whatever. The high CBD levels can produce mental calming for some in some circumstances (i.e. gotta try it and see), but is not psychoactive, and CBD actually diminishes some of the more anxiety provoking effects of some full thc cannabis strains. If it's legal where you are, it's cheap to try a few grams, and unlikely to have seriously unpleasant effects (but avoid the sativa type strains for nightime use).

Contains many terpenoids, such as linalool found in lavender, and humulene from hops (depending on strain) which also have a relaxing effect for many people. Also, aromatherapy candles/incense etc containing specific terpenes such as linalool have become more popular and can be worth trying (fewer legal issues in those countries that may not allow CBD hemp). It acts on the body's endocannabinoid system which has a major part in body regulation and metabolism.

A general but unscientific rule with aromatherapy type stuff, if it smells nice to you, it may very well help. And if it doesn't, well, at least it smells nice! 😊

P.S.
Oh yeah! Another one worth a try (since it's so easy), is breathing control to promote relaxation. Lying still and preferably not foetal (harder to breath deeply), slow your breathing down, long slow intake, count to four (adjust that for yourself), hold a couple seconds, then slow out counting to four (or whatever's comfortable but similar), thinking on the breathing and the regularity and try to maintain that. This triggers a bunch of hormonal effects remarkably quickly that act to relax the muscles and slow the body down. This isn't yoga or meditation or anything like that (though those things certain use breathing control), it's exceptionally easy to do for most people without needing lessons or training, but has a definite physiological effect on the body (and the mind is the body, separation is non-existent, one effects the other).

Last edited:
After years of struggles one thing I've learned is that if I just try to lay quietly and meditate, it can seem as if I've just been struggling with thoughts for hours, but the clock has jumped ahead. Apparently, when stressed and not feeling safe, people can sleep with one brain hemisphere at a time. It isn't the best sleep, but it is far better than nothing. I save caffeine for when I really need it, and it really works, requiring some recovery time and sleep later.

Our bodies rest when we are lying down in a quiet environment even if we don't fall asleep.

I have the same problem. It’s way worse if my appointment is in the afternoon. I really prefer to have any Dr appointments first thing in the morning. The anticipation is murder.

No advice on sleep other than the usual suspects.

Heat can keep people awake, especially in the summer. It is even worse for people who are sensitive to noise, but who require a fan blowing to keep cool.

Heat can keep people awake, especially in the summer. It is even worse for people who are sensitive to noise, but who require a fan blowing to keep cool.
I'm the same. I love cold weather. Sleeping in the heat can be icky. It is absolutely a treat if you keep a stack of folded clean sheets in the freezer. Simply throw one on, and you'll be in paradise.

I didn't sleep hardly at all last night. After midnight, I was wide awake. I had a terrible day yesterday. I was up praying practically all night. Weaving also. Weaving helps me to process big scary thoughts.

So worried about a girl I don't know, but I saw something happened to her that disturbed me deep inside. I just couldn't sleep. We were both so sickened, neither of us ate last night. The night belonged to God.

Around dawn, I made my daughter's work lunch, baked a quiche for breakfast, and washed dishes and countertops. Keeping hands busy takes away the rushing worries.

The breakfast quiche was the bomb, by the way.

The basic recipe for a quiche is

Pie crust
4 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup cheese
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

(add to the basic quiche template whatever other ingredients you want- I added meat, garlic powder, and sauteed greens)

bake in a pie shell for 50 minutes at 350 degrees.

Whenever I have a serious medical appointment coming up, I don't get much sleep at all. Also, if someone I love is sick or in trouble, I don't get much sleep.

Like tonight, I fell asleep at a reasonable hour, but then woke up wide awake in the early AM, feeling kind of timid about this afternoon's appointment.

I usually wake up for a little while around 2 or 3, and that's normal. I pray, I play solitaire, and maybe fool around online for a moment, and then fall back asleep. But when big things are happening, I wake up a couple hours after falling asleep, and then cannot physically get back to sleep. And it goes on for hours.

I don't take sleeping drugs. I don't use Benadryl off label, as it causes me to have strange side effects. Vivid dreams and sometimes very light hallucinations, and feeling sort of off, mentally during the day. Melatonin and also GABA has a similar effect. These are all on my medication allergy list at the doctor.

I guess, I'll get up and make myself some herbal tea. I have hops. But I don't know how much it will help. it's like an adrenaline thing. Also I'll probably do the emotional freedom technique (tapping) to try to soothe myself back to get a couple more hours sleep.

Does that happen to anyone else, where your nervous system is so worked up because of the unknown, and you cannot get more than an hour or two of sleep per night?

What are your coping strategies? What helps you sleep?
My situation is different from yours, but maybe you should try mindfulness. Lot of people use that to fight against anxiety and some of them consider that a good skill

New Threads

Top Bottom