• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

anyone else obessed with old sitcoms?

apolloidolsice

Like late 60s to early 90s. I find the way they're dressed, the way the camera/filter makes it look, the theme song, the aging themes and jokes showing how long we've come, the refrences etc.

Attachments

• c84sfbfxddcinxkvig3c.gif
    c84sfbfxddcinxkvig3c.gif
    3.9 MB · Views: 66
  • tumblr_odsf7nQqu31tti72eo2_400.gif
    tumblr_odsf7nQqu31tti72eo2_400.gif
    599.6 KB · Views: 57
  • tumblr_okiakbei2m1s9a9yjo1_400.gif
    tumblr_okiakbei2m1s9a9yjo1_400.gif
    1 MB · Views: 59
I very seldom watch sitcoms humour, set for ten year old's, lately I noticed it is getting better. this was due to American morality rules during the fifties and sixties.

I could never get into them. I could never understand why they portrayed a world that had no relationship to what I was living.

I wouldn't say obsessed but I do prefer old sitcoms to anything that's on TV now. Nothing that's on TV now do I find appealing.

My favourites would be the old Blackadder series' of the 80's. You can't beat that sarcastic wit.
dual-and-duality20.jpg

Others include:
Keeping up Appearances from the 90's.
Frasier from the the early 2000's.
I regard the Simpsons as a sitcom and used to love episodes from the 90's

Not obsessed per se. Though it fascinates me to think that at some point in my life I simply ceased watching such programming and have no explanation why I did so.

Though I do have a "track record" of abandoning watching most shows that seem to last forever. Where even though they're still very popular, that I seem to tire of them and give up watching them altogether.

I suppose "Frazier" was the last sitcom I watched regularly, giving it up not long before the series ended.

Not obsessed per se either, but am a fan of many of them. I think when my parents moved here it was one of the ways they learned English watching shows like The Jeffersons and Three's Company so I pretty much got on board watching with them.

My all time favorite will always be I Love Lucy. Also honorable shout out to Newhart, for imo the best sitcom ending ever.

Usually I never cared for the typical formula. The setup is always pretty tame and fits into the same box that the genre almost always does, with the same sorts of things happening, even in different time periods. Usually very... stale.

I do like a lot of old shows though (which were way before my time). I Love Lucy was always my favorite, and also other things from a bazillion years ago like Bewitched or The Munsters. They were always so much more "out there" with the things that happened in the shows... the magical wackiness of Bewitched, or Lucy's wild schemes that always went wrong in some chaotic way.

That, opposed to the usual "just portray a slightly odd but still mostly normal family but make jokes sometimes".

Or at least, that's how I've always seen it.

I go way back with sitcoms, as i have been a TV junky for seven decades. The fifties were full of situation comedies, mostly family oriented but with a few that were more oriented to the actual situation. Here is a list of those I remember:

The Honeymooners (to the moon Alice!)
Leave it to Beaver
My Little Margie
The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis
The Phil Silvers Show
Love That Bob
The Abbott and Costello Show
Amos 'n' Andy (very racist by today's standards)
I love Lucy
The Gale Storm Show
George Burns and Gracie Allen
Mister Peepers
Our Miss brooks
Make Room For Daddy
The Donna Reed Show
Father Knows Best
The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet
Dennis the Menace
The Real McCoys
I Married Joan

I would do the same for the 60s and 70s but I will let others fill those decades in.

As for today, there are a few that I watch which are as funny as anything ever put on television. "What We Do in the Shadows" and "Wellington Paranormal" for instance. Then there are the one-off long form action/comedies like Peacemaker which has to have one of the funniest opening credit sequences in the history of television, from my perspective.

Obviously this topic hits an area I could waffle on and on about, but I will spare you all the ordeal. *giggle*

Like late 60s to early 90s. I find the way they're dressed, the way the camera/filter makes it look, the theme song, the aging themes and jokes showing how long we've come, the refrences etc.
I miss so much of the humour. Even when I understand the joke and why it's funny to NTs I will still fail to connect to it myself. Sitcoms that are based on awkward social situations are practically painful for me. Can't watch them - flee the room. My primary mission when I go out and mix with people is to not cause awkward situations. I certainly don't want to watch them and they are not entertaining to me. Sitcoms are not my thing.

Now, The Expanse... Great show.

I enjoyed watching them growing up. Even when I didn't find them funny, I found them uplifting to watch the people and all the bright colors. I was absent from school an extraordinary amount and usually spent that time watching these kinds of shows.

I obviously have a sense of humor, and my friends tell me that I’m funny all the time, but I completely fail to see the humor in most sitcoms (or most comedy movies and adult cartoons.)

I don’t know why. I usually find some memes and videos hilarious but not really television or movies.

Not me, but a friend. He may have autism traits. He likes to sink into the old sitcoms for many hours. I'm thinking he finds it a comfortable non-threatening place for an easily stressed-out person?

Not for me though- the laugh tracks drive me nuts.

My favorite older sitcoms are Roseanne, Golden Girls, The Facts of Life, Soap, All in the Family, I Love Lucy, and Family Matters. Sabrina the Teenaged Witch is another favorite.

I used to like Full House as a kid but watching it now is cringed because of how badly a lot of the humor and material is and that every problem has a really happy ending somehow which is sort of nauseating. Even the episode about child abuse sort of had an attempt to make things all better with a hug at the end of the episode which sort of is wrong. Just because you called child services to report the abuse and all the kids are taken away from the abusers doesn’t necessarily mean that they are safer than before as some foster parents are even worse than the abusive biological parents and those kids might still have serious psychological issues as a result of any type of abuse that will still affect them for a very long time no matter where they go or if they end up in a home that treats them better. You can’t just sugarcoat every serious issue.
Sorry about the rant but I needed to get that out of me and felt it was related to what I think about some old sitcoms.

There were many that were shot using tape instead of film, and you can tell by the frames-per-second each shot is (example: compare "Home Improvement", a show that was taped, with "The Drew Carey Show", one that was shot on film). Of course, tape stopped being used as much by the 90s, and film would eventually go away when digital cameras got cheaper.

The thing about digital is that fps is not set in stone. Many shows could easily be shot in 60fps, but stick with 24fps.

New Threads

Top Bottom