• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

anyone with grown kids?

My 2 boys are 28 and 30 years old. One mechanical engineer and married, no kids. The other, a university professor, biomedical engineering and CRISPR genetics, single, no kids.

My wife and I don't deal with them at all. ;) They are quite independent, very busy, and are several hundred miles away from us. We talk to each other every month or so, see each other a few times a year.

We have three grown kids. I guess we did something right, probably by accident and not by design, when they were growing up. All have good jobs, two have children of their own, and my main complaint (which I'd never say to them) is that their daddy and I do not want to babysit our grandchildren every week. Just because we're retired and at home all the time, doesn't mean that we are bored, unhappy, or lonely and therefore in need of having grandchildren here all the time.

I know grandparents are supposed to dote on their grandchildren and want to spend every minute with them, but we don't feel that way. I guess we're defective grandparents. Part of how I feel comes from the fact that we rarely had babysitters for our children so I think that if I did it alone, then you should be doing it alone, too, most of the time.

Yes, we managed to raise two units of humanity. :D Neither has reproduced yet and I think their both being ND has been a factor. Overall our relationships have been very good, though there are always going to be bumpy patches which I see as natural for most people. As parents you never really lose your concern and anxiety over their well being so in a way parenting evolves but never ends. I don't really miss being a grandparent but would not mind if it happened. Practically the day the kids started moving out on their own we replaced them with Chihuahuas and that has softened the empty nest syndrome.

I have two adult children. One of them has two little children.

Both my kids are doing great!

We talk a lot on the phone & visit at least once a month.

My only comp!ain't is that I go there; but the kids are working, and I'm not, so its easier, really, to drive 4 hours to visit them.

We have three grown kids. I guess we did something right, probably by accident and not by design, when they were growing up. All have good jobs, two have children of their own, and my main complaint (which I'd never say to them) is that their daddy and I do not want to babysit our grandchildren every week. Just because we're retired and at home all the time, doesn't mean that we are bored, unhappy, or lonely and therefore in need of having grandchildren here all the time.

I know grandparents are supposed to dote on their grandchildren and want to spend every minute with them, but we don't feel that way. I guess we're defective grandparents. Part of how I feel comes from the fact that we rarely had babysitters for our children so I think that if I did it alone, then you should be doing it alone, too, most of the time.
I won't either. Just occasionally. I dote over them when I'm at their house. lol But I have 13 grandkids now ages 25 to 3. I think. lol

Yes, we managed to raise two units of humanity. :D Neither has reproduced yet and I think their both being ND has been a factor. Overall our relationships have been very good, though there are always going to be bumpy patches which I see as natural for most people. As parents you never really lose your concern and anxiety over their well being so in a way parenting evolves but never ends. I don't really miss being a grandparent but would not mind if it happened. Practically the day the kids started moving out on their own we replaced them with Chihuahuas and that has softened the empty nest syndrome.
Actually, I find it harder as adults than when they were kids. 4 kids, 13 grandkids (and now 1 ggrand). And since my autism diagnosis about 6 or so years ago, they all realized they probably are and a few of the grandkids have a definite diagnosis because problems in school. Probably more are than not.

Anyway I get along as best friends with 2, and as long as I don't speak my thoughts do okay with the other 2. I get so tired of them shushing me. grrr

I have one adult son who refuses to have anything to do with me. But he is so sweet-nasty to me that this does not bother me. He is unpleasant to be around.

He has one son who lives in Sweden with his mother, who is a Swedish citizen. So is my grandchild. I have seen him twice. Neither time was much fun and both parents were sure I was going to drop him or do some other permanent damage.

Interestingly enough, it is my foster daughter who has grown into a wonderful caring loving adult. At 25, she is now in her first serious relationship. We just spent a glorious weekend together. I've never been particularly interested in grandchildren, but on the drive home, it suddenly occurred to me that I might have grandchildren because of her. I was thrilled. I can't wait. Total and complete reversal in my opinion of having grandchildren.

New Threads

Top Bottom