• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are you unusually uptight?

Swansong

Despite growing up with the Internet, I despise memes and meme culture.

I generally dislike colloquialisms, I try to use language as properly as I can and I instinctively look down on those that don't.

I'm actively against the idea of doing much of anything simply to fit in socially.

I'm unreasonably annoyed by just about everything that's not to the point and efficient.

I've always chalked that up to my condition but perhaps I'm simply a bit of a humorless asshole.

That's interesting. I feel like I'm fairly relaxed most of the time. Even though I am not on social media (Facebook, Instagram, etc.), I do chuckle at some memes.

I'm also fairly relaxed about the use of language - I understand that language is fluid and ever changing. For example, I work in a medical office and I often hear patients express that they are nauseous.

The proper use of the word to describe an uneasy, sick feeling is nauseated. Nauseous, on the other hand, is the thing which causes nausea. However in around the early 1960s it became accepted to use the word nauseous as both the state of nausea and the thing causing nausea.

It drove me crazy for a while but I got over it. I still cringe a little to be honest.

For the most part, not really.

I usually describe myself as erratic. Even I dont know what I'm going to do next, so I'm about as efficient as a box of cat hair, and my use of language changes based on what I've been reading/watching. I have a tendency towards that type of mimicry.

I'll agree with you on point #3, though. I dont do anything specifically just to try to fit in or some nonsense like that. Cant be bothered.

As for memes, well... I'll refrain from showing any from my archive, then.

What on earth is this?

You could sum it up as basically "the internet likes memes so people use them a lot when online".

I don't like it when people use acronyms or abbreviations when writing because a lot of the time I don't understand them and then can't understand what they are saying.

I also don't like people writing, for example, u instead of you - it's YOU. That's Y-O-U. Grrrr.

As for memes, that's another thing I often don't get. Sometimes they are funny, but I don't understand a lot of them. I don't understand ones where a person is showed and we are supposed to infer from their facial expression what they want to say. Or I can't understand what the meme has got to do with the topic. Though I think some of them are GIFs which don't work for me because I use a GIF freezer. Some people prefer to use a meme rather than write what they want to say. I never use memes - if I want to say something, I write it.

I don't like it when people use acronyms or abbreviations when writing because a lot of the time I don't understand them and then can't understand what they are saying.
Agreed, and even if you look them up online, there’s often many different ones. You never actually know what the person who said it means.

It gives me that familiar feeling that I am out of the loop on something

Though I think some of them are GIFs which don't work for me because I use a GIF freezer.
@Progster, you are a star and my favorite person today! I never imagined I could disable GIFs, but after seeing your post, I learned it's pretty easy to do in my browser (Firefox).

I am forever grateful to you for freezing my GIFs! :blush:

@Progster, you are a star and my favorite person today! I never imagined I could disable GIFs, but after seeing your post, I learned it's pretty easy to do in my browser (Firefox).

I am forever grateful to you for freezing my GIFs! :blush:
Another good one for Firefox is "I don't care about cookies" - it stops cookie notifications from popping up when you access a website.

I generally dislike colloquialisms, I try to use language as properly as I can and I instinctively look down on those that don't.
This was actually a question during my diagnosis. They explored the issue further afterwards but the initial question they asked me was "How well do you cope with US spelling?". I admit my response wasn't very flattering to some of you. After growing up with The Queen's English there's a lot in the internet world that irks and annoys me, that hasn't changed even after being online for 27 years.

I laughed so hard I nearly cried when I saw a professional tutorial on using Linux. It said that there was a known fault in the kernel and that if you wanted to use the colour command you had to deliberately misspell it by putting a U before the R. The author went on to say that he didn't understand why his complaints about this fault kept falling on deaf ears.

So I'll give you two guesses for what I think about people that use SMS shorthand (u instead of you) and for little script kiddies that think it's cool to use numbers and symbols instead of letters.

I also hate it when people use fonts so fancy that they're near illegible.

LOL...I hope not.

I'm retired. For the most part I like to think I'm "coasting" for the rest of the ride...whether it be long or short.

It said that there was a known fault in the kernel and that if you wanted to use the colour command you had to deliberately misspell it by putting a U before the R.
Some people in the US forget that there's a whole world out there.

After growing up with The Queen's English there's a lot in the internet world that irks and annoys me, that hasn't changed even after being online for 27 years.

Given how diverse (and occasionally difficult to understand) English dialects are in England itself, I sometimes wonder just what percentage of Brits actually speak "the King's English".

I still crack up at the thought that the production of "Doc Martin" woefully admits to not having much of anyone in the cast who actually speaks with a Cornish accent.

But then I have to repeat myself on occasion if and when I fall back on my native accent as well. Not one likely to be found in the High Desert. Oops.

Some people in the US forget that there's a whole world out there.
Back in the 90s I had a friend who's son got a really good job in Japan as an English teacher in a private school. He was exceptionally highly paid too considering he was still only 20 years old. The reason he was paid so well was because of his British English and his accent. It was a class distinction thing in Japan, lower class people spoke US English, those from better families spoke British English with a British accent.

We didn't forget. It's quite deliberate. ;)
Sometimes I suspect this, a bit of cultural attitude. :)

Given how diverse (and occasionally difficult to understand) English dialects are in England itself, I sometimes wonder just what percentage of Brits actually speak the King's English.
I grew up in Adelaide which has Australia's highest population of British migrants, so I grew up with all the different accents and was quite proud of the fact that I can even understand a drunk scotsman.

I have actually had to act as interpreter on quite a few occasions. Everyone's speaking English and none of them could understand a word the others were saying.

I suppose language differences (with a few exceptions) don't tend to make me uptight.

Though I must admit, I do get amused by hearing non-British Europeans who somehow manage to speak English with an American accent. Even those whose nations are so close to Britain. Interesting.

Back in the 90s I had a friend who's son got a really good job in Japan as an English teacher in a private school. He was exceptionally highly paid too considering he was still only 20 years old. The reason he was paid so well was because of his British English and his accent. It was a class distinction thing in Japan, lower class people spoke US English, those from better families spoke British English with a British accent.

Sometimes I suspect this, a bit of cultural attitude. :)
Just a bit? ROTFL.... wot.

Class distinctions in my country tend to be predicated on only one thing. - Net Worth. Which can go as fast as it came to them. Making notions of "old money" versus "new money" a thing of the past.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom