• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

As a disabled Aspie, should I apply for Bar work in a local Public House?

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Maybe 2 nights a week for a few hours at minimum wage? I can't lift heavy Beer Kegs but I could serve customers, I'm not so weak as I can't pull a Pint.

One of my current carers has an interview next week in the Crown and Glove where we go for the Quiz on a Wednesday night, and the Landlord up there's a mate of mine so I might ask if I could apply.

However, would Bar work be suitable? I went for that interview yesterday and the job turned out to be unsuitable, I don't want to do same thing again, set up an interview and come away in a bad mood cos the job's not right for me.

I'd think during the off hours or when things are slow, that such a job would inevitably involved chores like lifting kegs, boxes of liquor bottles, drinking glasses in large amounts, etc.. I've seen that happen a lot over the years whenever I was in a bar. Seems unlikely to have someone only serving people without any other duties.

If I were in your position I'd be more prone to looking for something that clearly doesn't involve physical labor tasks of any kind. Again as someone mentioned in another thread, a job like sitting at a computer terminal.

I'm just thinking that it might be a stretch to assume prospective employers would accommodate your physical issues if the job itself routinely involves any sort of physical tasks. The key is to investigate...find out rather than assume if a job has physical tasks. One thing for sure, when business is slow or not open yet, there's always something to be done, whether it's part of your work routine or not. It's always worth asking what might be asked of you under those particular, but routine circumstances.

Last edited:
I think it is not such a good idea Rick, because, as Judge says: when things are slow, they will expect a bar worker to be an all rounder really and thus, it would be an hinderance to running of the establishment and you say you have good ethics with the chap, so perhaps it is wise to just leave well alone, otherwise you could find yourself not being able to go into that pub again.

Ah I see I have said something different to Judge. Well, I guess that is what communication is all about, is getting several different views and sorting through, which one fits yourself.

No. Bar work is heavy manual labor. Not something you'd want to get into when physically disabled. It'll be frustrating for you and for your coworkers, as you won't be able to pull your weight, so to speak.

Also bar work requires you to interact with customers a lot and to be able to ignore jibes when some people get a little drunk. I don't think this would be suitable for you.

wouldn't do it, do you really want to spend time in a confined, hot, noisy, drunken room, i'd be overwhelmed out of my mind - that and, like the others, i would expect that they would expect you to do manual labour too.

One of the worst situations that I have ever been, is being around a bunch of drunk people when you are sober. I would not like that job mostly for that reason. The actual work would not be so bad, but the social part I could not handle.

I think it would be ok so long as you don't have any sound sensory related issues. Bars can be a good place to work.

In this day and age in the states I'd be quite reticent to work behind a bar unless I knew absolutely that my employer extended their legal liquor liability to me. Geez, to think just tending a bar may require one going out and securing their own bartenders liability.

Ugh, dramshop liquor laws being what they are, depending on the jurisdiction. :eek:

New Threads

Top Bottom