• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspie comedian Mike McCreary will perform in Woodstock on Nov. 30 from 7 to 9 p.m...

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me)

1298003294909_ORIGINAL.jpg

Michael McCreary

Diagnosed with Asperger’s Syndrome at five-years-old, by the age of 13 Mike McCreary had channeled his “inability to stop talking” into stand-up comedy.

After taking parting in a comedy workshop and performing at mental health functions his busy career “just snowballed.”

“I really lucked out — a lot of my gigs have been word of mouth,” he said in an interview Wednesday.

The Toronto-based 21-year-old, who recently returned from Whitehorse where he did presentation for Autism Yukon and Autism Canada, said it’s difficult to describe what it’s like to have Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).

“What I can say is people with ASD tend to fixate on one topic, which has its ups and downs,” he said. “The up is you can immerse yourself in a subject to a point you have mastered it and find work in that field.”

McCreary, who will perform in Woodstock on Nov. 30, said his desire as a comedian is to “show people we have a sense of humour.”

And McCreary, who said his fixation is on movies, uses the characters from one as an example.

“People assume (people with ASD) are kind of mechanical and that we are replicants from Blade Runner, but we do have the capacity to feel,” he said. “We may not pick up on the nuances and subtleties of sarcasm or irony but we have our own way of laughing at things and seeing the world.”

McCreary also wants to act as advocate for more flexible programs for others with ASD “to give them the assistance they need to explore what they are really interested in.”

“Everyone can find their purpose so long as they have someone to advocate for them or advocate for themselves,” he said.

The event, sponsored by Oxford-Elgin Child and Youth Centre and the Children’s Aid Society of Oxford, is designed to “to focus on the lighter side of high functioning Asperger’s.”

“In recognizing that there are obstacles for people diagnosed with high functioning Asperger’s – which for many is an invisible disorder — we want to focus upon creating awareness which then leads to understanding, hope and opportunity,” said Giselle Lutfallah of the Oxford Children’s Aid Society. “We’re seeking to raise awareness in considering the whole person, beyond the diagnosis of Asperger’s.”

--- --- ---

IF YOU GO

What: Michael McCreary, aspie comic

When: Thursday, Nov. 30, 7 to 9 p.m.

Where: CAS building, 712 Peel St, Woodstock

Admission: A canned donation for the food bank

Source: The lighter side of autism

Michael McCreary rocks!! :D Absolutely brilliant, very brave comedian. Positive, funny, I love Michael! His Facebook page is amazing. His Mom is exceptionally cool, too. He’s done some informative and hilarious videos about ASD. AspieComic is awesome! :)

New Threads

Top Bottom