• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Been invited to do telephone interview with Halfords

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Topic,

Got an email from Halfords about 3 hours ago based on my online application to them yesterday, they want me to do a telephone interview with them to see if I'm suitable for the position and whether the position is suitable for me.

I realise that the job is possibly at the big Halfords branch at Wadsley Bridge, which is a bit of a pain to get to, but I'll cross that Bridge if I come to it.

I've sent them an email saying I'm free to be interviewed tomorrow morning anyway.

If it's awkward for you to get to and you still want the job then they will most probably want to be assured that you are going to be reliable if you get the position. If you suspect you will be asked to work at the Wadsley Bridge branch then if you are using public transport plan the trip there before the interview so you would arrive there well before 9am when it opens (10am on Sunday which can sometimes be more awkward with UK transport) and allow for delays (E.g. go for an earlier bus / train if possible), then if they ask you how you intend to get to work each day you will be-able to tell them exactly what bus or train you intend to get and make it sound like it's no issue for you what-so-ever (unless you don't want the job of course). This will go down much better than just answering, "public transport", but I suppose if they haven't even told you where you would be working yet you might not be-able to plan for every possible location. Even if you drive it can go down well if you say, "I will drive", followed by a backup plan in case your car happens to be off the road as this shows commitment.

Think of a good answer to the most obvious questions that will probably be asked like, "why do you want to work for Halfords?" and "where do you see yourself 10 years in the future?" (it might not be exactly 10 years obviously, but you get the drift). In both questions they will be testing you to see if you are serious about working for Halfords and whether you really want the position, or whether you are truly only looking for temporary job for the money until you get something better which is obviously what they don't want (unless it's a Christmas job only or another temp position of course, then they probably won't ask the 2nd question). The 1st answer will probably be something unique to yourself, but for the 2nd question you could say something like, "I would hope to see myself in a supervisor role or even perhaps training for management position".

Another common question is something on the lines of, "what do you feel you can offer to the company?", this is usually best answered with something like, "I'm an enthusiastic, reliable and hard worker" and add anything else you feel relevant and good about yourself, this is your opportunity to really sell yourself. You will probably be asked about your experience, if you have none it doesn't rule you out, especially since you've got an interview, but at least say that you are enthusiastic and quick to learn. If you've been out of work for a while they will most likely ask why or what you've been doing for the last so many years, I know it may not be easy, but it's probably best to be honest, the most important thing however is to show them that you're totally ready and fit for work now, and that you're not likely to cause them too many issues. They may also ask you about your last position and why you left which you might want to prepare a good answer for.

Finally if and when they ask you whether there's anything you'd like to ask them at the end, always have a good question, it shows you are interested and keen, but NEVER ask about money, asking about future career and training opportunities in the company is a good one (assuming it's not a temp position), if it is a temp position you could still ask about the possibility of permanent positions coming up in the future.

Well done for getting an interview and I wish you the very best of luck!

Last edited:
Been past Halfords today on the way back from my Digital Arts course, it is the one next door to Argos where I thought.

Need to look on Travelsouthyorkshire.com for a Bus that goes near it, I know where the Bus stop is, near the Funeral home, although there might be a stop further up the road.

If it's awkward for you to get to and you still want the job then they will most probably want to be assured that you are going to be reliable if you get the position. If you suspect you will be asked to work at the Wadsley Bridge branch then if you are using public transport plan the trip there before the interview so you would arrive there well before 9am when it opens (10am on Sunday which can sometimes be more awkward with UK transport) and allow for delays (E.g. go for an earlier bus / train if possible), then if they ask you how you intend to get to work each day you will be-able to tell them exactly what bus or train you intend to get and make it sound like it's no issue for you what-so-ever (unless you don't want the job of course). This will go down much better than just answering, "public transport", but I suppose if they haven't even told you where you would be working yet you might not be-able to plan for every possible location. Even if you drive it can go down well if you say, "I will drive", followed by a backup plan in case your car happens to be off the road as this shows commitment.

Think of a good answer to the most obvious questions that will probably be asked like, "why do you want to work for Halfords?" and "where do you see yourself 10 years in the future?" (it might not be exactly 10 years obviously, but you get the drift). In both questions they will be testing you to see if you are serious about working for Halfords and whether you really want the position, or whether you are truly only looking for temporary job for the money until you get something better which is obviously what they don't want (unless it's a Christmas job only or another temp position of course, then they probably won't ask the 2nd question). The 1st answer will probably be something unique to yourself, but for the 2nd question you could say something like, "I would hope to see myself in a supervisor role or even perhaps training for management position". Another common question is something on the lines of, "what do you feel you can offer to the company?", this is usually best answered with something like, "I'm an enthusiastic, reliable and hard worker" and add anything else you feel relevant and good about yourself, this is your opportunity to really sell yourself. You will probably be asked about your experience, if you have none it doesn't rule you out, especially since you've got an interview, but at least say that you are enthusiastic and quick to learn. If you've been out of work for a while they will most likely ask why or what you've been doing for the last so many years, I know it may not be easy, but it's probably best to be honest, the most important thing however is to show them that you're totally ready and fit for work now, and that you're not likely to cause them too many issues. They may also ask you about your last position and why you left which you might want to prepare a good answer for. Finally if and when they ask you whether there's anything you'd like to ask them at the end, always have a good question, it shows you are interested and keen, but NEVER ask about money, asking about future career and training opportunities in the company is a good one (assuming it's not a temp position), if it is a temp position you could still ask about the possibility of permanent positions coming up in the future.

Well done for getting an interview and I wish you the very best of luck!

Read the OP, it is a telephone interview, I don't have to physically go there, yet.

Read the OP, it is a telephone interview, I don't have to physically go there, yet.
And why doesn't all this apply to a telephone interview just the same as a face to face interview?

Sorry, but you may have misunderstood, perhaps I should have made it clearer. I recommended finding out how you would get there in case they ask you in the telephone interview how you would travel to work which is quite common, especially if it's awkward to get to as often they would want to be assured that you would be able to reliably get there if they did choose to employ you. If you know exactly how you would get there in order to arrive well before the store opens allowing lots of time in case a bus doesn't turn up for instance, it's better to detail this in your answer rather than just answering "public transport" and that was my point.

Even if you drive it's better to say that you will drive along with a backup plan if ever the car was off the road for any reason as this would really reassure them, some people will phone up work stating that they can't make it today because their car won't start for instance or they'll just lie about being sick if they think their employer wouldn't stand for that as a reason not to turn up, rather than using public transport instead, okay if the car let you down on the morning of travel you could be late, but even that's a lot better than not turning up at all and showing that you have a backup plan and would be willing to use it shows commitment.

Last edited:
And why doesn't all this apply to a telephone interview just the same as a face to face interview?

Sorry, but you may have misunderstood, perhaps I should have made it clearer. I recommended finding out how you would get there in case they ask you in the telephone interview how you would travel to work which is quite common, especially if it's awkward to get to as often they would want to be assured that you would be able to reliably get there if they did choose to employ you. If you know exactly how you would get there in order to arrive well before the store opens allowing lots of time in case a bus doesn't turn up for instance, it's better to detail this in your answer rather than just answering "public transport" and that was my point.

Even if you drive it's better to say that you will drive along with a backup plan if ever the car was off the road for any reason as this would really reassure them, some people will phone up work stating that they can't make it today because their car won't start for instance or they'll just lie about being sick if they think their employer wouldn't stand for that as a reason not to turn up, rather than using public transport instead, okay if the car let you down on the morning of travel you could be late, but even that's a lot better than not turning up at all and showing that you have a backup plan and would be willing to use it shows commitment.

Travelling from my Parents', it would take 45 minutes to get there according to travelsouthyorkshire.com, 2 Busses.

Might be quicker to get a Taxi, depending on the time of day, I know from old that during term time getting a Taxi between 8 and 9 AM is a nightmare because of the school runs.

I just had the interview, they rang me on the mobile, I don't think I'll get the job, because they want someone who can work weekends! I had to try and dodge an outright no by saying I could do a few hours on Sundays but I'll have to try and sort that with the carers if I get the job.

I just had the interview, they rang me on the mobile, I don't think I'll get the job, because they want someone who can work weekends! I had to try and dodge an outright no by saying I could do a few hours on Sundays but I'll have to try and sort that with the carers if I get the job.
That sounds a bit unlucky, but unfortunately most shops are usually at their busiest during the weekends when most other people are off work so you could be hard pushed to find a retail job that only wants you to work weekdays. Well done for having the courage to go through with the interview however, it's not an easy thing for anyone to do, especially for someone on the autistic spectrum. Anyway there's still a chance and even if you don't get the job you've gained telephone interview experience. I wish you the best of luck!

Last edited:
Just had an email from Halfords, we are not taking your application any further, there were other applicants that more closely match the skills and experience we're looking for.

In other words I'm disabled and can't work more than a few hours without severe benefit sanctions so they don't want me.

Equal opportunities my arse.

Just had an email from Halfords, we are not taking your application any further, there were other applicants that more closely match the skills and experience we're looking for.

In other words I'm disabled and can't work more than a few hours without severe benefit sanctions so they don't want me.

Equal opportunities my arse.
It's unlikely to be directly related to you being on the autistic spectrum and they're not allowed to directly discriminate **, but I agree that is probably indirectly caused. Unfortunately you have most likely hit the nail on the head regarding the hours you can work, but I thought you could have worked part time up to 16 hours a week without it effecting your benefits? I don't know what Halfords were specifically looking for, but there are some part time jobs around that would allow you to work up to 16 hours a week. The biggest issue however is working weekends because that's when most retail stores are at their busiest and need more staff, it's also a time when more people don't want to work or in your case can't work. Perhaps you could talk to your support service about making it easier for you to work weekends if it's required in future, surely they should be helping and supporting you if you wish to get a part time job in retail, not holding you back, if you can sort this issue out then perhaps you might get the next one.

Most importantly don't give up, most people are rejected for loads of jobs they apply for before they get one they want and it was very positive that you got as far as the interview stage so well done. Also well done for looking for work in the first place, I have a lot of respect for you for that and it's a lot more than many people are willing to do on disability benefits. I wish you the best of luck!

** Employers in the UK at least are not allowed to directly discriminate against disabilities as long as the person is willing and able to realistically perform the tasks required of the position (I don't like calling Asperger Syndrome or HFA a disability). You couldn't for instance employ someone in a wheelchair as a builders labourer that needs to carry, climb ladders and work on scaffolding on a building site as that would be totally unrealistic, but you could employ many people with Asperger Syndrome into such a position and they should be considered for the position equally based on their abilities, experience Etc. If the person in a wheelchair was applying for an office job however that involved sitting at a desk using a computer, then they should be considered for the position equally. If a person can't work the hours they require for the position however then whatever the reason they obviously have the right to use this against the applicant. That said it doesn't mean that some employers don't directly discriminate and it's often very difficult to prove, but thankfully many larger companies are genuinely equal opportunity employers these days and they are careful to follow the rules.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom