• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Being tested for possibility of M.S

Dillon

For those who have been following I’ve been having health problems lately dealing with vision problem and headaches as well as some mild speech problems that seem to flare at times. Also as of earlier in the summer I’ve been having problems with bladder retention and control and having stiff muscles that spasm sometimes in my biceps and legs.

I saw a neurologist earlier in the week for the first time ever and while providing my background/history and going through a physical examination I learned I may have optic neuritis and not glaucoma after going through a brief eye examination and based on clinical symptoms. I also noticed a slight loss of color vision in my right eye as well. I was told the key difference between glaucoma and optic neuritis is that pain behind the eyes does not occur with glaucoma but maybe rarely.

So this whole time since 2021 I may have been misdiagnosed by an ophthalmologist and now I am being tested for the possibility of having early onset of multiple sclerosis. I am having to go in for an angiogram to measure the blood flow of my spinal cord and brain and more than likely will have to undergo a spinal tap/lumbar puncture which I hear hurts a lot. My brain MRI was clear no tumors or anything but I have a tiny lesion in the front of my brain that’s not causing symptoms it seems. I have to go in for another MRI soon as well to look inside my optic nerves and eyes as the other one only showed my brain so that will be “fun”.
It seems like I am finally getting some answers to what is going on by a doctor who doesn’t believe in throwing pills at you to “cure” symptoms but decides find the root of the problem .
So yeah not only do I have to deal with everyday life as an ASD individual but I may also possibly deal with having M.S.

Despite this situation though my life has been going good such as for example it is more than likely I may end up getting a job positioned as a 5th grade math and science teacher and I should know something with that by next week so fingers crossed!

I am glad that it was not cancer. MS is not good either but hopefully it can be managed in a way to reduce the symptoms that you have been having. You are in my prayers.

Congrats on that. You are getting concise answers finally. Some people walk around mmisdiagnosed for a lifetime, not you!! Good luck on that job, that would be great.

For those who have been following I’ve been having health problems lately dealing with vision problem and headaches as well as some mild speech problems that seem to flare at times. Also as of earlier in the summer I’ve been having problems with bladder retention and control and having stiff muscles that spasm sometimes in my biceps and legs.

I saw a neurologist earlier in the week for the first time ever and while providing my background/history and going through a physical examination I learned I may have optic neuritis and not glaucoma after going through a brief eye examination and based on clinical symptoms. I also noticed a slight loss of color vision in my right eye as well. I was told the key difference between glaucoma and optic neuritis is that pain behind the eyes does not occur with glaucoma but maybe rarely.

So this whole time since 2021 I may have been misdiagnosed by an ophthalmologist and now I am being tested for the possibility of having early onset of multiple sclerosis. I am having to go in for an angiogram to measure the blood flow of my spinal cord and brain and more than likely will have to undergo a spinal tap/lumbar puncture which I hear hurts a lot. My brain MRI was clear no tumors or anything but I have a tiny lesion in the front of my brain that’s not causing symptoms it seems. I have to go in for another MRI soon as well to look inside my optic nerves and eyes as the other one only showed my brain so that will be “fun”.
It seems like I am finally getting some answers to what is going on by a doctor who doesn’t believe in throwing pills at you to “cure” symptoms but decides find the root of the problem .
So yeah not only do I have to deal with everyday life as an ASD individual but I may also possibly deal with having M.S.

Despite this situation though my life has been going good such as for example it is more than likely I may end up getting a job positioned as a 5th grade math and science teacher and I should know something with that by next week so fingers crossed!

Praying for you

I hope you overcome this. I’m rooting for you

That's a big thing to be dealing with. I hope you can find a way to cope with these news, and I hope that you get good treatment, whatever the results are.

And I really hope that you get that teaching position!

I have to go in for another MRI soon as well to look inside my optic nerves and eyes as the other one only showed my brain so that will be “fun”.
I have (familial) experience of MS. If it is confirmed, get used to the MRIs, they will be a regular part of life going forward. Let’s not sugar-coat it, MS is not fun. Existing deficits will not recover. But, the good news is that (very) new drug treatments can stop its progress. The prognoses now are way better than in the past. I hope things progress well for you.

I'm sorry to hear this, Dillon, but it sounds like you are finally on the way to a correct diagnosis. From the little I know, MS is often overlooked by diagnosticians. A friend of mine who kept having symptoms very much like you describe was told by several doctors that it was all in her head - i.e., that she was crazy and need to see a shrink - before she finally got the correct diagnosis.

There are good drugs to help. I think MS can stabilize for a long time and then flare up at some point so it kind of waxes and wanes throughout your life.

Prayers for you.

Glad you're on to a good lead now. MRIs are amazing, expensive but worth it, I got to repeat mine to my knees.

May the bright morning star guide your path to better sighting through the advancements of medicine. The hardest part is done, now for a proper treatment plan this time. Sending strength and hugs!

Good luck on the sciency job prospects!

New Threads

Top Bottom