• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

best autism earphones

Ser

hi, I want earphones/earbuds, that are noise cancelling, yet let me listen to my surroundings when I want!, ive been trying to find some but im struggling! me and my mother have been trying but its just theres too many options, and a majority are expensive, I think im just gonna get flare ones again, instead of trying actual bluetooth earphones.

I can't answer your question but I love that you said "earphones", I say that too. The correct phrase (as far as the rest of the words is concerned is "headphones". But I think they are just wrong because they are for your ears! Silly people.

Last edited:
In general, it seems earbuds are inherently inferior to supra-aural headphones for a basic reason. They're simply too fragile and subject to no longer functioning over time in comparison. Particularly wired earbuds of any kind. Where the slightest tension on the wires themselves eventually weaken or break, making your two-channel earbuds into one- or no channels.

Beyond that, when it comes to expen$ive supra-aural (covering your entire ears) headphones, the best noise-cancelling headphones are pretty much regarded as either coming from Bose or Sony.

Of course in the most basic sense, ear defenders that simply cover your ears quite tightly and block out most but not all sound remain the cheapest solution. The same thing I use when I go to the shooting range. With noise reduction ratings (NRR) usually from 27db to maybe 34db. Though they are bulky and heavy, and cannot be worn all day long by many people given how tight they can be.

Whatever you choose to purchase handle them gingerly or be prepared to periodically replace them.

Last edited:
I always think it's funny that conversion rates should mean it's cheaper in £. But in this day and age, you might as well just swap the symbol when looking at prices on technology. The UK is really overpriced.

Right now, where I bought mine from is cheaper too - around £50 compared to when I got them. But that lower price still converts over to a cost of $414.

Seems I originally bought them for the equivalent of $484.

Ed

I always think it's funny that conversion rates should mean it's cheaper in £. But in this day and age, you might as well just swap the symbol when looking at prices on technology. The UK is really overpriced.

Right now, where I bought mine from is cheaper too - around £50 compared to when I got them. But that lower price still converts over to a cost of $414.

Seems I originally bought them for the equivalent of $484.

Ed

Ouch. Not cheap by any stretch though. But if they hold up with regular and careful use, they may prove to be a superior investment. I've always been impressed by the noise-cancelling technology for the last few years.

Though I just see such products a little under under $300 as being more reasonable. But considering inflation, taxes and tariffs apart from exchange rates that may prove to be a stretch as well. :eek:

Last edited:
The feature to pause music when you take them off broke very quickly. But I'm not really in the mood for gimmicks. The sound quality is ok, but nothing will best my old Sony's for bass response. You looked ridiculous in them, and each side was the diameter of a CD. But the comfort and bass was beyond belief:

1235560593_594855.jpg

Ed

Bose makes an outstanding set.

Bose Headphones | Wireless, Noise Cancelling Headphones

When I was subbing for classes with autistic kids in them they'd often be given a quality pair of shooter's muffs. No electronics but a 30+ db quieting effect and you could still hear a voice that was trying to get your attention. There are also electronic shooting muffs that attenuate loud noises and keep conversational sounds audible. I've never found them any more uncomfortable than noise-canceling headphones.

Last edited:
I have the Sony WH 1000xm4. They definitely cancel out a lot of the noise but won't totally cancel out all noise, which is what you want, I guess.
A bit pricey, though.

I notice they cancel more noise if you push them against your head. But, even on the tightest setting - it can't cancel out all the noise.

I'm not sure if in-ear noise cancelling headphones might do better, seeing as it'd create a better seal.

Ed

I notice they cancel more noise if you push them against your head. But, even on the tightest setting - it can't cancel out all the noise.

I'm not sure if in-ear noise cancelling headphones might do better, seeing as it'd create a better seal.

Ed
You wouldn't want to cancel everything. There are audio cues in the environment important to your well-being. as well as for interacting with the environment. Being deaf makes your life far more difficult.

New Threads

Top Bottom