• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Boeing, Boeing, Gone?

The saga of the two astronauts who flew up there in that thing reminds me of the theme song for Gilligan's Island. It was supposed to be a three-hour tour! ;)

Despite the unmanned Boeing capsule successfully making it back to Earth, things continue to look grim for Boeing over their Starliner space capsule.

My Dad worked at boeing for 30 years as a functional test technician in renton washington :) my dad has been retired since 2015 and is enjoying life :)

My Dad worked at boeing for 30 years as a functional test technician in renton washington :) my dad has been retired since 2015 and is enjoying life :)

Sounds like a good time to be retired rather than working for Boeing at the moment. From what I understand, Boeing no longer offers pensions to newer employees.

Last edited:

Send your dad back to work there - Boeing needs some good people to pull it out of its current slump. I'm kidding, of course, but I can't help but wonder what happened to one of America's best and brightest companies in the last few years.

I have two cousins who work for McDonald Douglas (or whoever owns them now) and they live in Long Beach, CA. They're both engineers, soon to retire themselves.

Send your dad back to work there - Boeing needs some good people to pull it out of its current slump. I'm kidding, of course, but I can't help but wonder what happened to one of America's best and brightest companies in the last few years.
It's tragic as they once enjoyed a first-rate reputation in the industry. My best friend's father when I was a youngster in the early 60s was a lifetime employee at Boeing in their Everett WA factory.

Ironic as I'm listening to a YouTube presentation in the background talking about the rise and fall of Kodak. I guess not all of these entities are "too big to fail". Nothing is sacred any more...as it was when we were children.

Last edited:
I can't imagine what happened. Did they have a big management turnover, and a bunch of idiots and grifters took over?

Sadly, l doubt my daughter receives a pension, though she works for a think tank. l am talking about having a savings with her, and helping with her first house purchase.

Despite the unmanned Boeing capsule successfully making it back to Earth, things continue to look grim for Boeing over their Starliner space capsule.

https://www.npr.org/2024/03/20/1239132703/boeing-timeline-737-max-9-controversy-door-plug
Then theres the chinook helicopter the list! of 'accidents' is :(
  • On 4 May 1966, a CH-47A crashed near Di Linh, Lâm Đồng Province killing all 20 on board.<a href="Boeing CH-47 Chinook - Wikipedia"><span>[</span>164<span>]</span></a>
  • On 26 December 1967, a CH-47A carrying 33 military passengers and crew crashed in a landing descent at Phu Cat AFB, Binh Dinh Province, South Vietnam killing 8 of those on board.<a href="Boeing CH-47 Chinook - Wikipedia"><span>[</span>165<span>]</span></a>
  • On 6 May 1969 a CH-47 carrying 83 people crashed 3 miles (4.8 km) southwest of Phước Vĩnh Base Camp, South Vietnam, killing 40 of those on board.<a href="Boeing CH-47 Chinook - Wikipedia"><span>[</span>166<span>]</span></a>
  • On 18 August 1971, CH-47A, airframe 66-19023, was operated by the 4th Aviation Company, 15th Aviation Group. The helicopter was transporting 33 soldiers of the Heavy Mortar Platoon, 2nd Battalion, 4th Infantry Regiment, 56th Field Artillery Brigade from battalion headquarters in Ludwigsburg to Grafenwöhr for live fire training exercises. Fatigue failure of the rear rotor blade led to its separation causing structural damage resulting in the crash and explosion that killed all 37 on board, including four crew members. A memorial plaque that was placed near the crash site in the forest outside Pegnitz was stolen in 2009.<a href="Boeing CH-47 Chinook - Wikipedia"><span>[</span>167<span>]</span></a><a href="Boeing CH-47 Chinook - Wikipedia"><span>[</span>168<span>]</span></a>
  • On 28 November 1971, a CH-47C carrying five crew and 28 soldiers from the 101st Airborne Division on a flight from Da Nang to Phu Bai Combat Base, South Vietnam crashed into high ground killing all on board.<a href="Boeing CH-47 Chinook - Wikipedia"><span>[</span>169<span>]</span></a>
  • On 18 October 1974, a CH-47C, US serial 74-22058 assigned 147001 but was never marked with Canadian Forces. The aircraft was lost on its delivery flight to Canada following gear failure in main combining gear box, caused by undetected metal infraction in gear blank before machining. This failure led to drive shaft failure and loss of synchronization and resulted in five fatalities. After a lengthy litigation, it was replaced by 147009.[<em><a href="Wikipedia:Citation needed - Wikipedia" title="Wikipedia:Citation needed"><span title="This claim needs references to reliable sources. (November 2019)">citation needed</span></a></em>]
  • On 11 September 1982 at an airshow in Mannheim, Germany, a U.S. Army Chinook (serial number 74-22292) carrying parachutists crashed, killing 46 people. The crash was later found to have been caused by an accumulation of ground walnut shell grit used for cleaning machinery, which blocked lubrication from reaching transmission bearings.<a href="Boeing CH-47 Chinook - Wikipedia"><span>[</span>170<span>]</span></a><a href="Boeing CH-47 Chinook - Wikipedia"><span>[</span>171<span>]</span></a> The accident resulted in the eventual discontinuation of the use of walnut grit as a cleaning agent.
  • On 4 February 1985, a Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) CH-47C (A15-001) crashed into Perseverance Dam, Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia. The Royal Air Force (RAF) exchange pilot was rescued from the submerged cockpit but later died in hospital.<a href="Boeing CH-47 Chinook - Wikipedia"><span>[</span>172<span>]</span></a>
  • On 6 November 1986, a British International Helicopters Chinook crashed on approach to Sumburgh Airport, Shetland Islands resulting in the loss of 45 lives and the withdrawal of the Chinook from crew-servicing flights in the North Sea.<a href="Boeing CH-47 Chinook - Wikipedia"><span>[</span>173<span>]</span></a>
  • On 1 March 1991, Major Marie Therese Rossi Cayton was killed when her U.S. Army Chinook helicopter crashed into an unlit microwave tower during a dust storm. She was the first American woman to fly in combat, during Desert Storm in 1991.<a href="Boeing CH-47 Chinook - Wikipedia"><span>[</span>174<span>]</span></a>
  • On 2 June 1994, an RAF CH-47 carrying 25 British MI5, police, and military intelligence experts and 4 crew, flew from Northern Ireland to Scotland for a conference crashed on the Mull of Kintyre
  • On 30 October 1997, a civilian BV234UT operated by Columbia Helicopters (registration C-FHFH) engaged in logging operations crashed on Vancouver Island, Canada, killing both of the pilots. The investigation determined that the helicopter lost yaw control due to failure of flight control computer.
  • On 29 May 2001, a Republic of Korea Army (ROK Army) CH-47D installing a sculpture onto Olympic Bridge in Seoul, South Korea failed to unlatch the sculpture. The helicopter's rotors struck the monument; then the fuselage hit and broke into two. One section crashed onto the bridge in flames and the other fell into the river. All three crew members on board died.<a href="Boeing CH-47 Chinook - Wikipedia"><span>[</span>175<span>]</span></a><a href="Boeing CH-47 Chinook - Wikipedia"><span>[</span>176<span>]</span></a>
  • On 22 February 2002, a U.S. Army special forces MH-47E crashed at sea in the Philippines, killing all ten U.S. soldiers on board.<a href="Boeing CH-47 Chinook - Wikipedia"><span>[</span>177<span>]</span></a>
  • On 11 September 2004, a Hellenic Army Aviation CH-47SD crashed into the sea off Mount Athos. All 17 people on board were killed, including four senior figures in the Greek Orthodox Church of Alexandria.<a href="Boeing CH-47 Chinook - Wikipedia"><span>[</span>178<span>]</span></a>
  • On 6 April 2005, the U.S. Army CH-47D known as "Big Windy 25" crashed during a sandstorm near Ghazni, Afghanistan, killing all eighteen aboard (fifteen soldiers and three contractors).<a href="Boeing CH-47 Chinook - Wikipedia"><span>[</span>179<span>]</span></a> The pilots had been disoriented by the dust storm.<a href="Boeing CH-47 Chinook - Wikipedia"><span>[</span>180<span>]</span></a>

Then theres the chinook helicopter the list! of 'accidents' is :(
  • On 4 May 1966, a CH-47A crashed near Di Linh, Lâm Đồng Province killing all 20 on board.<a href="Boeing CH-47 Chinook - Wikipedia"><span>[</span>164<span>]</span></a>
  • On 26 December 1967, a CH-47A carrying 33 military passengers and crew crashed in a landing descent at Phu Cat AFB, Binh Dinh Province, South Vietnam killing 8 of those on board.<a href="Boeing CH-47 Chinook - Wikipedia"><span>[</span>165<span>]</span></a>
  • On 6 May 1969 a CH-47 carrying 83 people crashed 3 miles (4.8 km) southwest of Phước Vĩnh Base Camp, South Vietnam, killing 40 of those on board.<a href="Boeing CH-47 Chinook - Wikipedia"><span>[</span>166<span>]</span></a>
  • On 18 August 1971, CH-47A, airframe 66-19023, was operated by the 4th Aviation Company, 15th Aviation Group. The helicopter was transporting 33 soldiers of the Heavy Mortar Platoon, 2nd Battalion, 4th Infantry Regiment, 56th Field Artillery Brigade from battalion headquarters in Ludwigsburg to Grafenwöhr for live fire training exercises. Fatigue failure of the rear rotor blade led to its separation causing structural damage resulting in the crash and explosion that killed all 37 on board, including four crew members. A memorial plaque that was placed near the crash site in the forest outside Pegnitz was stolen in 2009.<a href="Boeing CH-47 Chinook - Wikipedia"><span>[</span>167<span>]</span></a><a href="Boeing CH-47 Chinook - Wikipedia"><span>[</span>168<span>]</span></a>
  • On 28 November 1971, a CH-47C carrying five crew and 28 soldiers from the 101st Airborne Division on a flight from Da Nang to Phu Bai Combat Base, South Vietnam crashed into high ground killing all on board.<a href="Boeing CH-47 Chinook - Wikipedia"><span>[</span>169<span>]</span></a>
  • On 18 October 1974, a CH-47C, US serial 74-22058 assigned 147001 but was never marked with Canadian Forces. The aircraft was lost on its delivery flight to Canada following gear failure in main combining gear box, caused by undetected metal infraction in gear blank before machining. This failure led to drive shaft failure and loss of synchronization and resulted in five fatalities. After a lengthy litigation, it was replaced by 147009.[<em><a href="Wikipedia:Citation needed - Wikipedia" title="Wikipedia:Citation needed"><span title="This claim needs references to reliable sources. (November 2019)">citation needed</span></a></em>]
  • On 11 September 1982 at an airshow in Mannheim, Germany, a U.S. Army Chinook (serial number 74-22292) carrying parachutists crashed, killing 46 people. The crash was later found to have been caused by an accumulation of ground walnut shell grit used for cleaning machinery, which blocked lubrication from reaching transmission bearings.<a href="Boeing CH-47 Chinook - Wikipedia"><span>[</span>170<span>]</span></a><a href="Boeing CH-47 Chinook - Wikipedia"><span>[</span>171<span>]</span></a> The accident resulted in the eventual discontinuation of the use of walnut grit as a cleaning agent.
  • On 4 February 1985, a Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) CH-47C (A15-001) crashed into Perseverance Dam, Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia. The Royal Air Force (RAF) exchange pilot was rescued from the submerged cockpit but later died in hospital.<a href="Boeing CH-47 Chinook - Wikipedia"><span>[</span>172<span>]</span></a>
  • On 6 November 1986, a British International Helicopters Chinook crashed on approach to Sumburgh Airport, Shetland Islands resulting in the loss of 45 lives and the withdrawal of the Chinook from crew-servicing flights in the North Sea.<a href="Boeing CH-47 Chinook - Wikipedia"><span>[</span>173<span>]</span></a>
  • On 1 March 1991, Major Marie Therese Rossi Cayton was killed when her U.S. Army Chinook helicopter crashed into an unlit microwave tower during a dust storm. She was the first American woman to fly in combat, during Desert Storm in 1991.<a href="Boeing CH-47 Chinook - Wikipedia"><span>[</span>174<span>]</span></a>
  • On 2 June 1994, an RAF CH-47 carrying 25 British MI5, police, and military intelligence experts and 4 crew, flew from Northern Ireland to Scotland for a conference crashed on the Mull of Kintyre
  • On 30 October 1997, a civilian BV234UT operated by Columbia Helicopters (registration C-FHFH) engaged in logging operations crashed on Vancouver Island, Canada, killing both of the pilots. The investigation determined that the helicopter lost yaw control due to failure of flight control computer.
  • On 29 May 2001, a Republic of Korea Army (ROK Army) CH-47D installing a sculpture onto Olympic Bridge in Seoul, South Korea failed to unlatch the sculpture. The helicopter's rotors struck the monument; then the fuselage hit and broke into two. One section crashed onto the bridge in flames and the other fell into the river. All three crew members on board died.<a href="Boeing CH-47 Chinook - Wikipedia"><span>[</span>175<span>]</span></a><a href="Boeing CH-47 Chinook - Wikipedia"><span>[</span>176<span>]</span></a>
  • On 22 February 2002, a U.S. Army special forces MH-47E crashed at sea in the Philippines, killing all ten U.S. soldiers on board.<a href="Boeing CH-47 Chinook - Wikipedia"><span>[</span>177<span>]</span></a>
  • On 11 September 2004, a Hellenic Army Aviation CH-47SD crashed into the sea off Mount Athos. All 17 people on board were killed, including four senior figures in the Greek Orthodox Church of Alexandria.<a href="Boeing CH-47 Chinook - Wikipedia"><span>[</span>178<span>]</span></a>
  • On 6 April 2005, the U.S. Army CH-47D known as "Big Windy 25" crashed during a sandstorm near Ghazni, Afghanistan, killing all eighteen aboard (fifteen soldiers and three contractors).<a href="Boeing CH-47 Chinook - Wikipedia"><span>[</span>179<span>]</span></a> The pilots had been disoriented by the dust storm.<a href="Boeing CH-47 Chinook - Wikipedia"><span>[</span>180<span>]</span></a>
Continued 1 :(

Continued 2 :(

I can't imagine what happened. Did they have a big management turnover, and a bunch of idiots and grifters took over?
They bought the failing McDonnell-Douglas and kept the greedy executives who had run it into the ground. Shareholders liked their results, but they were gambling to make those numbers. I used to shop at Boeing Surplus, and suddenly, there just wasn't much reject material there. Paperwork was being falsified. Talent was being ignored. And the rich got richer, and the workers poorer and less trained. It took two major crashes to expose the rot, and they may not be able to recover.

Perhaps the wisdom that became accepted was that accountants knew how to run businesses, not engineers.

Perhaps the wisdom that became accepted was that accountants knew how to run businesses, not engineers.
Both are needed, in the proper balance. What drives the instability is the shortsighted greed of investors, and their immunity from liability. Accountants have a concept called the "rational actor," where the correct thing to do is to always put capital gains first. Only accountants and psychopaths are actually able to do that, but corporations are legal entities designed to enforce that morality. I don't think there is any hope for a technological civilization that allows private wealth, which multiplies the power of the abnormally greedy.

New Threads

Top Bottom