• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Bojack Horseman Analysis

premiumsockets

person who thinks too much
Hi, i got really into bojack horseman over the last few months and wanted to pick people's brains on one topic: the neurodiversity of the main cast. I'm of the personal opinion that pretty much every main character is some flavor of ADHD and/or autistic: Bojack being adhd and autistic, Diane being autistic, todd being adhd, princess carolyn being autistic, and mr peanutbutter being adhd. i think they've all got pretty solid support: bojack's impulsivity, reliance on alcohol to function socially, and black-and-white thinking; diane's justice sensitivity, trouble with social situations, and overthinking; todd's impulsivity, lack of social awareness, and the perception that he is lazy juxtaposed with him putting in INCREDIBLE effort when properly motivated; mr peanutbutter's grand emotional gestures (whether they're wanted or not), lack of thinking through plans, and excitability; and finally, princess carolyn's hypercompetance and special interests (amelia earhart is a lifelong interest for her, and her job itself seems to be an incredibly strong interest even though it's written as more of an outlet for her compulsive need to put out fires).

It's really interesting to me because the cast's neurodiverse traits are often the source of comedy in the show, but not in a bad way. as we all know, sometimes, leaps of logic can sound funny and nonsensical, even when the logic is sound. therefore, one of the joys of the show is being able to watch all these wacky characters (especially todd) get themselves into the silly situations they come up with. the world of BH, by virtue of being a sitcom setting, is very flexible with what is or isn't possible. that flexibility is great because it makes the world be both about real people and the problems of real people, but dressed up in this exaggerated sense of whimsy and coincidence. it's what makes the show really hit, i think, because the coincidence and whimsy are real, too! there's something really joyful about watching all these dysfunctional and flawed people be free to make mistakes and take leaps that, for all we know, could work out in the end. plus, i just love watching autistic characters do their Autism Things!

anyway! lemme know if you think there's actually nothing there and im just projecting!

New Threads

Top Bottom