• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Cancelled T.V. shows that screwed the fans over the worse ?

GoofKing

All your bases are belong to us
I've always hated seeing shows get cancelled due to something as stupid as ratings (boohoo T.V. network executives) and this lead me to believe that the fans are the ones who get screwed over the worse when this happens :(

Is there a specific short-lived television show that you liked watching and was pissed to see get cancelled ? Is there any that you liked which wasn't popular but you though didn't need to be cancelled ? :(

For me, Futurama although it fought to stay alive and Invader Zim. I started thinking about this after watching a YT video on the top ten cartoons that were creative but short-lived. I guess the audience didn't really like Invader Zim although they didn't really complain about it being cancelled until after it was cancelled :/

I actually tend not to get too upset over cancellations. If the show is good enough, it'll stand well as it is, even if they didn't manage to finish a storyline. And there are also shows that have been canceled that I'm sure many on here were upset about, but that I thought kind of deserved it, that I shouldn't mention. ;)

On the flip side of the coin, I think every television season should be allotted a maximum two-season run, unless they have something VERY specific in mind. Too many fantastic shows just fizzle out after two or three seasons and yet get dragged on for years and years.

There are quite some that come to mind, especially if the ending of the season actually ends in a cliffhanger. Some shows finish up properly and I don't mind it. I've had a topic about this and the need for closure on tv shows a while go. Must've been buried somewhere on the forum.

I always seem to get the short end of the stick since a lot of show I like end up getting cancelled. Perhaps this reflects my poor taste in television shows, lol.

Firefly did get a movie and comics. I did enjoy Firefly, if only because it was a new sci-fi setting/universe. And I'm usually interested in any new fictional universes to see how world building holds up from the writers and such.

Shows that got cancelled and didn't get a good ending that kinda bothered me when I was watching them only to find out "well, you'll never get to know what happens next". And then there are a few I overall enjoyed for the general concept, though perhaps cancellation was coming because of poor writing overall
- Alphas
- Revolution
- Batman Beyond
- Carnivale
- Pushing Daisies
- Reaper
- Almost Human
- That 80s show
Those are ones that come to mind...

Not sure if and how much they screwed people over...a few listed were pretty episodic in general and didn't rely on a big story arc.

And then there are a few which I enjoyed a lot, but they probably ran it's course over multiple seasons. They had their ending eventually, but that doesn't mean that I'm happy they're over. X-files ran it's course, Breaking bad ran it's course... and to some extent Futurama ran it's course eventually.

Also, as a kid I was kinda upset when Seaquest got cancelled. I rewatched that show last year... now I understand why.

Speaking about shows that make no sense to me at some point; The simpsons. It's been over 400 episodes, but no one ever has a birthday. They're stuck in a certain age and wont get a day older. Perhaps it's time to progress a bit, lol. And no I'm not criticing the Simpsons... I've enjoyed that show for quite a while, though after 20 seasons or so you gotta start wondering.

King_Oni -- Agreed on Revolution, and I seem to have the same bad luck with shows getting cancelled. I've never known a single other person who watched That 80s Show -- I loved it! It may have been a little ahead of it's time, but I'm a child of the 80s and thought it was a riot. Might go over a little better now, though. Almost Human ... UK or US? I've only seen the UK, and only a few eps, but I plan on watching more.

Could take me some time to put that list together. Pretty much anything sci-fi or paranormal seems to get the boot sooner or later. Yeah, of so many of them losing "Firefly" really hurt. (I've always boycotted "Castle".) I loved the two-season "Terminator" series...sorry to see Summer Glau no longer as a cyborg.

I also loved "Almost Human" too. Watched "Believe", but sensed it would be cancelled and it was. "Falling Skies" is into it's fourth season...amazing. Resurrection at least will go for another season I think. Revolution seemed to go downhill in the second season, so I wasn't too bummed when they shut that one down. Wondering about "Extant" just assuming it will have a short life too. Ugh....I'd have a better time if I loved cops, docs and lawyers. I do enjoy "Black Book", (a practicing neurologist with BPD) but I'm guessing that won't last either with MY track record. :eek:

King_Oni -- Agreed on Revolution, and I seem to have the same bad luck with shows getting cancelled. I've never known a single other person who watched That 80s Show -- I loved it! It may have been a little ahead of it's time, but I'm a child of the 80s and thought it was a riot. Might go over a little better now, though. Almost Human ... UK or US? I've only seen the UK, and only a few eps, but I plan on watching more.

Oh, I was born in the 80's as well, though I guess US popculture and the references in that show didn't go over that well I guess. Back then Europe was a few years behind, lol.

But considering, I just finished watching the That's 80s show last week. I kinda missed out on a lot of tv shows in my teens and such, since I rarely watched tv in my teens up to my adult life (and I don't even watch regular tv now).

Is there a difference between Almost human US and UK? I'm talking about that show with Karl Urban and Michael Ealy.

Don't confuse "Almost Human" (cops) with "Being Human" (werewolves/vampires/ghosts).

I'm still miffed about the US version of "Being Human" getting cancelled after four seasons. I loved that one as well.

Oh, I was born in the 80's as well, though I guess US popculture and the references in that show didn't go over that well I guess. Back then Europe was a few years behind, lol.

But considering, I just finished watching the That's 80s show last week. I kinda missed out on a lot of tv shows in my teens and such, since I rarely watched tv in my teens up to my adult life (and I don't even watch regular tv now).

Is there a difference between Almost human US and UK? I'm talking about that show with Karl Urban and Michael Ealy.

Actually I was born in 68, by 'child of' I mean that's the decade that shaped me the most. I was in my early teens & thought those things were so modern & cool (like the huge brick of a cell phone) so it was fun to see my teen years spoofed.

Never mind, I was thinking of Being Human, a UK series that the US copied. Oops!

Don't confuse "Almost Human" (cops) with "Being Human" (werewolves/vampires/ghosts).

I'm still miffed about the US version of "Being Human" getting cancelled after four seasons. I loved that one as well.

Hah.. I never even considered that. I did hear about the show, but nope.. no vampires for me (despite me avoiding daylight like the plague)

I'm still surprised that "The Americans" is doing so-so. Figured the average viewer wouldn't appreciate the stars of the show being ruthless KGB operatives in Northern Virginia. I'll be very unhappy when they axe that one as well...but it appears they got a third season so we'll see.

I actually tend not to get too upset over cancellations. If the show is good enough, it'll stand well as it is, even if they didn't manage to finish a storyline. And there are also shows that have been canceled that I'm sure many on here were upset about, but that I thought kind of deserved it, that I shouldn't mention. ;)

On the flip side of the coin, I think every television season should be allotted a maximum two-season run, unless they have something VERY specific in mind. Too many fantastic shows just fizzle out after two or three seasons and yet get dragged on for years and years.
Most TV shows that don't get cancelled do decline after a certain point. For Lost, it happened after the fourth season. In other words, after they'd killed off some of the best characters, and changed the set up, lost the powerful character drive and degenerated into weirdness.

The last season of West Wing wasn't so great. The show got really preachy. It was a show that was always good except for when it got preachy.

I was happy to see "Battlestar Gallactica" get a final season, but I would have been happy to see it never end.

That really happened to JAG. To me, some of the episodes in the last season got downright bizarre.

Yeah. I thought the way the ended that series was pretty cheesy. Clearly the writing just ran out of steam. Much as Ste11a mentioned in an earlier post.

I seem to have pretty good luck with shows I like not getting cancelled, but one recent cancellation that I was disappointed by was the BBC America show Copper, which was cancelled after two seasons and ended on kind of a cliffhanger. :( I would have been super-pissed if Sherlock had been cancelled (especially after the way that the last season ended), but thankfully, it's confirmed now that it will have a fourth season.

I think most of the current ones I like are pretty safe, the only one that I'm currently a bit worried about is Halt and Catch Fire (but AMC typically only seems to cancel a show if it's a real dud), but I think even in that case, it would probably still turn out to be a pretty decent one-season show (I would like for it to have at least two though).

I have no idea if this show, which Fox cancelled before it ever aired, would have been any good, but I would have at least checked out the pilot:

Fox Cancels Ancient Egyptian Fantasy Show Hieroglyph Before It Airs

My favorite sitcom ever -
THE KING OF QUEENS

it came to an end because Kevin James wanted to star in movies instead. To me, they rushed season 9 and ended the show. Kevin James has been in a few movies, but nothing I'd write home about. Leah Remini has been on a talk show and another show coming up. They always think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. I think it was a big mistake canceling that show.

Definitely somewhat miffed about "Carnivale" being binned. I really wonder what criteria these tv network executives use to decide whether a series is successful. Maybe I was naive to think that the thoughts and wishes of those who watched it actually counted for anything :)

I think most of the current ones I like are pretty safe, the only one that I'm currently a bit worried about is Halt and Catch Fire (but AMC typically only seems to cancel a show if it's a real dud), but I think even in that case, it would probably still turn out to be a pretty decent one-season show (I would like for it to have at least two though).

I'll watch it until it's cancelled. I already wrote it off on a simple premise. Passionately talk to someone- anyone about building a PC. I rest my case.

Almost as effective as Ambien. I love the subject matter and all the business that goes with it because I'm a geek and a finance geek. But everyone else....not so much. Not a surprise ratings appear marginal for this one.

Last edited:
Dr Who is interesting because if its about to run out of steam they can just replace the current Doctor and re-invent the show.

The FOX company pretty much attempted to cancel Futurama over three times, and each of those cancellations disappointed me. Why are they so desperate to cancel it? :(

New Threads

Top Bottom