• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Chess

Cher_Ami

I am essentially self-taught, which led to an amusing situation where a family member had to tell me I could not checkmate with a single bishop and king after trying to do it for 30 minutes. Between digital and physical versions, I own over 600 chess books and have taught chess in 3 different religious buildings (despite being an atheist) and 2 libraries. Tournament-wise I won a few club championships in my area won although focus issues, anxiety, and needing to have a job stunted my rating around a low-expert rating. I later became a tournament director and ran a 2-day, 75+ player event alone (and slept 10-12 hours each day after that), as well as become an assistant manager for a team in the first year of the PRO Chess League.

The combination I am most proud of came from this position (White to Move):

dafwg0i5ph8y.png

SOLUTION:
My opponent just played Bg7?, but I played

1. Nxe5! , because the Queen has to defend d8 (they had to play Rxd3 first)

My opponent then played Be8? (The key is that if 1...Rxd3, then 2. Nxd3 leaves White a pawn up and with a huge advantage) to guard f7, but 2. Nxf7!! is overwhelming, since my Rook can move to f3 and win the Queen if the King ever takes on f7. It's not often a single Knight makes the Bishop pair and Queen foolish!

Chess has hidden many symptoms of what people would look for in Asperger's / HFA, except for the occasional and embarrassing meltdown due to stress - but unlike other social functions, they actually still want me to come back due to my ability. Has anyone else has had similar adventures or had it as their special interest?

That's pretty cool that you've taught and won tournaments! Good job!

I enjoy chess (but don't play as much as I use to). When I was pretty young- perhaps 10 or so? There was a chess club in school! It was pretty cool because it was a non-sport club that I wanted to do. I use to do chess online for a while too- and even felt obsessed with it. This was many years before I was diagnosed. I still own a few nice and interesting chess sets. Maybe one day I'll post pictures of them on my media page.

As for current hobbies- I think I've connected well with people online through video games, trivia and a few other interests. Unfortunately none of it transfers to real life much due to me being too shy, anxious and more in person. Maybe one day. If not- I think that's fine too I guess.

I was never expert-tier, but I beat pretty much everyone in my family back when I was into it. Honestly, if I had to choose I'd prefer a game of chess over any other board game...or Pictionary, that was fun as well :)

New Threads

Top Bottom