• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Classic cartoons vs modern cartoons

Adora

which one do you prefer do you like the older cartoons or the newer ones? Or do you like them both?,I'm more a fan of the older cartoons especially the Disney Renaissance period of the early 1990s .

Last edited:
Daffy Duck, Minnie and Micky, Road Runner, Porky Pig, Fog Horn Leghorn, Elmer Fudd, Bugs Bunny....They are the "real" cartoons, or Toons.....Th, Tha, That, Thats all folks

Suppose I'm more into the classics, but I guess some people will scoff at the fact that I call some 80's and 90's cartoons "classic".

But I grew up on mid 80's and early 90's cartoons so I guess there's a bit of nostalgia as well. It's funny though, since as a kid and even a young teen I didn't think much of the cartoons for most part, but the older I got the more I got to appreciate them.

And comparing them to current iterations; G1 Transformers all the way to the Transformers show we have now... I'll take the 80's toon over them any day.

I'm not sure if it has to do with the way it is animated; mostly it's all CG nowadays or just the way storytelling in those shows is. Looking at current shows, it's just too frantic. Most just feels so hyper and fast-paced... no wonder kids grow up to be these people that need to be entertained every waking second.

Suppose I'm more into the classics, but I guess some people will scoff at the fact that I call some 80's and 90's cartoons "classic".

But I grew up on mid 80's and early 90's cartoons so I guess there's a bit of nostalgia as well. It's funny though, since as a kid and even a young teen I didn't think much of the cartoons for most part, but the older I got the more I got to appreciate them.

And comparing them to current iterations; G1 Transformers all the way to the Transformers show we have now... I'll take the 80's toon over them any day.

I'm not sure if it has to do with the way it is animated; mostly it's all CG nowadays or just the way storytelling in those shows is. Looking at current shows, it's just too frantic. Most just feels so hyper and fast-paced... no wonder kids grow up to be these people that need to be entertained every waking second.
I feel the same with new cartoons I am on the fence on cgi animations but just feel like Disney isn't the same anymore I've seen tangled and yet to see Frozen and while I did enjoy tangled I still prefer the renaissance period like beauty and the beast,the little mermaid and Aladdin I miss those kind of cartoons.

I generally prefer the classics, though I like some more modern ones such as The Simpsons and South Park, or movies like Ice age and Wall-e. Really, it depends on the cartoon.

I'm not much into cartoons, but my grandkids are. My wife and I took the little grandkids to see "Despicable Me" and "Despicable Me 2". Now I want my own minions.

Quite honestly it's difficult for me to compare classic cartoons created on individual cells to 2D/3D computer animations. Classic cartoons remain a nostalgia thing to me. But I rarely watch them.

For me the content is far more important than the style or technology. The only animation I still watch on occasion would be "Futurama". Not something I'd likely have appreciated as a kid.

And the hysterical visuals help me with all the thick sarcasm not aimed at me. :D

Last edited:
I'd like to say classic cartoons, but that might be entirely based on the fact that I saw those first and can look back at them with a lot more fondness and attachment than anything that followed. Though, I enjoyed Princess and the Frog because Disney seemed to capture a little of the renaissance days.
I care more about the dialogues in modern cartoons than the art usually.

I don't know how I got ahold of a book of Krazy Kat when I was little, but I really liked it.
krazzee2.gif

I like both classic and modern, but I have to say the classic stuff (especially old Disney cartoons of Mickey and the gang) has a special place in my heart. They have this special charm to them that new cartoons just don't have. One of my biggest issues with newer cartoons is how dirty and gross they can be (e.g. toilet humor). It seems standards of what's acceptable have gotten a lot lower in recent years. Really, I find dirty humor to be less creative.
The creators of the new Mickey Mouse cartoons say they're more like the original Mickey cartoons from Walt's era, but (while I DO love them) I have to disagree on that because of what I described above. Let me just say that I never had a least favorite Mickey cartoon until Space Walkies came out. :emojiconfused: Disney is now making a new DuckTales series which will air in two years, and while everyone else is worried about the animation, I'm worried about whether or not they're going to treat the characters with as much respect as the original series did. Regarding the animation I'm merely curious to see what it will look like. I agree with Judge that content is more important than style. I wouldn't mind it being CGI. Actually, a CGI DuckTales would be very interesting. But actually there isn't a lot of CGI on Disney XD as far as I know. Shows like Phineas & Ferb and Gravity Falls are hand drawn.

Older cartoons, definitely older cartoons. Very rarely will I see something new that I like, like The Secret of Kells, but what few people haven't switched to CGI don't seem to be trying too hard. (Which I griped about plenty enough a few minutes before coming to this thread.) And most CGI I don't much care for anyway because they seem to enjoy camping out in Uncanny Valley. I was pleasantly surprised with The Gruffalo and The Gruffalo's Child.

I agree that content trumps style. Like the old Teletune's series Mr. Piper. It had some really awful artwork, despite being the 1960's. But it Mr. Piper had a beautiful voice and I love fairy tales and folk lore. And then you get garbage like Iggy and the Cockroaches. Ugly artwork, gross content. At least it matches itself.

New Threads

Top Bottom