• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Community

thejuice

V.I.P Member
So it seems understood that humans are communal creatures and to be our best selves we ought to have a higher purpose through being altruistic and interested in our fellow person.

I'm not saying autistics can't be communal because they definitely can, it's seen in the mutual support network here and some have jobs that greatly benefit society. However why are we lacking interest in community and in people in general compared to the mean?

Isn't full participation in the community the pathway to a good, meaningful life?

Last edited:
However why are we lacking interest in community and in people in general compared to the mean?

Isn't full participation in the community the pathway to a good, meaningful life?

Regardless of neurological considerations, many people default to ideological principles and beliefs first and foremost. Sentiments which often taint any sense of community that do not involve the same ideology.

Social dynamics that can and do divide us even with a common struggle of autism. The irony being that our NT counterparts are no more different than we are in this respect.

In essence, some "common denominators" can unite people while others don't. A weird quirk of humanity, put to the test on occasion only under the most dire of circumstances.

Because our brains are more attuned to things than people. Very sensory sensitive, often visual, logical mind.

I'm not an expert, but part of the answer to your question could be that he have less "mirror neurons"(I'm not sure about this name) than neurotipicals, so we hardly recognise some needs of people who are part of the community

I have always wanted to belong to a community, so i can't relate to disinterest in communities. Although i understand people getting disinterested after they have been treated badly by others in communities and such.

i think it is a necessity too, for example in old age and times of illness support for people is necessary. Not only emotional, and social but physical too. Not everyone has the money and means to hire a caretaker.

I'm not saying autistics can't be communal because they definitely can, it's seen in the mutual support network here and some have jobs that greatly benefit society. However why are we lacking interest in community and in people in general compared to the mean?
I disagree with your surmise. Some of us are very idealistic and community minded, why do you think I'm still on this forum after I already learned what I wanted to know? Why am I involved in politics? Why am I involved in study projects and humanitarian lobby groups?

There is however a huge gap between being community minded and being that desperately needy and emotionally dependent that if three people you meet don't like you then you're going to get suicidal. Seems to be a lot of people suffering that type of mental illness and conflating it with autism.

So it seems understood that humans are communal creatures and to be our best selves we ought to have a higher purpose through being altruistic and interested in our fellow person.

I don't know if altruism exists.

For me, it's always social energy. I have enough reserves for a small circle of low-maintenance loved ones and for work. It's not that I don't want to be more involved with communities, but there are days when I have to use that social energy for work and not for a friend.

It's not that I don't want to be more involved with communities, but there are days when I have to use that social energy for work and not for a friend.
That's exactly how it is for me too, except I headed in the opposite direction and ditched family and friends in favour of spending energy on what I see as necessary social reform.

New Threads

Top Bottom