• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Comparing myself To Characters From Undertale

UberScout

Please Don't Be Mad At Me 02/09/1996
V.I.P Member
Undertale is a very popular indie game which was made by Toby Fox and released in 2015 for PC, and eventually for PS4. It got a sequel, called Deltarune. The game's story is that you are a child who has fallen into the underground portion of a mountainside where a strange world underneath it has been inhabited by different types of monsters. You then learn that everyone has a "SOUL" which is represented by a little heart. Asgore, the king of the underground, needs seven SOULS in order to destroy the barrier keeping the monsters underground and free them so that they may co-exist with humanity again.

There are characters who don't want you to do that in this game.

One of the most recognizable features of the game is that battles have two main gimmicks to them; for one, when it's the enemy's turn to attack, they don't execute a spell or a weapon to attack you, but the game puts your SOUL (a little heart) onto a "bullet board" where the enemies' attacks fly at you in the form of icons representing them. The other gimmick is that you don't even have to kill the enemies to progress; you can spare them and let them go!

So, the whole game has a theme to it; during your adventure, you must consistently make the decision whether to be a GOOD person, and preserve the lives of everything that tries to kill you, or be an EVIL person, and kill everything that stands between you and freedom.

Many of the main characters who play the roles of the game's bosses will stand in your way, and it's ultimately up to you to decide what to do with them.

But there is one character who I've seen that appears to capture my current persona very well.

Flowey

His name is Flowey, and he is the persona of a seemingly-harmless looking sunflower. Don't let his cutesy appearance fool you though, because Flowey possesses a cynical, almost devilish attitude towards everything; humans and monsters alike. It just so happens that he has the same philosophy as I do in real life; In this world, it's KILL or BE KILLED. (And I quote.)

I don't know his whole story except that he was part of a science experiment at MIT Laboratory, where they were trying to see if literally anything could be given a SOUL. So they chose a random flower, and it worked...for the most part. The flower was made sentient and had his own kindly personality, but when someone tried to express love and compassion to him...he couldn't return the emotion. He tried the typical "I love you too!" approach but instead felt nothing. He sat with this discovery for years as people came and left the Ruins of the underground, where he stayed for as long as he could remember, and the lack of the feeling got worse and worse, festering and becoming darker in taste. Until one day he decided that there was no point in trying to fight it. He decided to believe that you must kill to survive, or they will kill you instead.

I sometimes feel like I am this little, deceptive flower; I feel like I don't have a soul anymore, I feel too corrupted. The universe has forcibly taught me that kindness is just simply an illusion, generosity is simply an Aesop's Fable in disguise, and no matter how much things move, they will never become something different.

Do you think I've learned anything from this? I can't understand...

[FLOWEY ran off.]

Hmm.. I encourage you to watch the (many) videos exploring Flowey - who he really is and his actual story. His character and his whole reason for being are quite tragic and is linked to other important characters in the game. Toby Fox did a phenomenal job making that world. He isn't just a science experiment - there was a reason for this experiment to take place. It is to do with how a human soul is worth all the souls of the monsters in the underground and what is needed to pass through the barrier. It is to do with the FIRST human who fell into the underworld.

Though, I am sure you do know a lot of it. Identifying with Flowey is an interesting thing, because in some sense we all feel like him. But, don't focus on it too much, because that sort of thinking does eventually lead only to resentment and bitterness. Even Flowey was redeemed in the end (at least in the pacifist ending).

DeltaRune by the way isn't actually a sequel, or, rather it's not classed as an official one, as stated by Toby.

What an interesting character Flowey is. What made him so cynical?

Essentially, the character is designed to break the 4th wall of the game. He is *aware* that he is in the game and for a long time (until the human fell into the underworld) he had control of save points. The experiment made on him made him more powerful than the other monster souls, but less powerful than a human soul. So, essentially, when he became "alive" with the soul put into him, he could no longer feel emotions. He yearned to feel love for his family that he knew before, but could not. He didn't feel a thing, he was just scared all the time. Until he could no longer bear it. He just started "playing the game" with the other characters, making different endings, resetting, over and over. I guess he went crazy over time, seeing everyone die, over and over. He realised kindness doesn't mean anything. Death doesn't mean anything. It was all just pointless.

At least that is what I remember of the theories I researched on him quite a while back.

I'm glad I was able to open up everyone's eyes through a being that doesn't exist.

Or does he?

I'm glad I was able to open up everyone's eyes through a being that doesn't exist.

Or does he?

I think there's a bit of Flowey in all of us, so in a sense, he does exist. :)
Also, I always hear Jacksepticeye's voice whenever I think of Flowey, his voice acting was spot on! :D

New Threads

Top Bottom