• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Complex PTSD with ADHD and/or ASD (Hi?)

YogaAbba

Hi,

I am a 56 year-old male and have been working for decades in psychotherapy on my complex PTSD symptoms. (Really bad things happened to me from a very young age). So far so "good" (in the sense of well-understood by me).

Things changed for me a few months ago when I went to a psychiatrist to have my medications reviewed. I thought I might have some mild form of bi-polar, but he ruled that out. But he did think I might have ADHD (which has a suprising amount of overlap with bi-polar) because of my paradoxical reaction to a trial of adderal, and then ritalin, that a previous prescriber had tried on me as an anti-depressant (a lot of other things didn't work well). The psychostimulants made me surprising relaxed, which is typical of people who have ADHD. Assuming I do have ADHD, I adapted through young adulthood to the point where it was not an issue for functioning in my adult life life, other than the fact that I suffer from severe social exhaustion (see below). It also makes sense because both of my daughters have rather significant ADHD (I think I have working memory issues similar to one of my daugthers but not as extreme).

The psychiatrist also identified in me alexythymia, which I thought was really strange because I only saw him briefly for a bit more than an hour. This trait, which I had never heard of, just sounded really weird and not at all like me. At the time, my therapist didn't seem too familiar or impressed with the term either.

Then, a few months later, in an email exchange, my new, regular prescriber remarked that my tendency to hyper focus is indeed consistent with ADHD (I already knew that) and/or (her conjunctions) "being on the autistic spectrum." That is not something I had ever thought of.

Fast forwarding a bit on the alexythymia trait, my therapist recently told me I was doing a much better job of naming my feelings. I was completely shocked. I mean, haven't I been doing that for decades with various therapists? Now I come to find out that whenever she asks how I feel about something, I describe bodily sensations. I was completely unaware of this. I said, "Oh, is that the alexythymia thing that psychiatrist was on about?" She did some research and concluded that, yes, this is alexythymia.

I completely found Yo Samdy Sam's discussion of alexythymia hugely enlighting. Like, yeah, it's totally me. I mean, I can read people's facial expressions (though I'm not always sure I'm reading them correctly; they often seem more menacing than I think they are intended to be). But I am, as my wife describes me, a "total poker face": I can be in a stake of extreme anxiety or upset in some other way and she wouldn't know until I tell her. My emotional vocabulary is limited (though good enough to have a good marriage and to be a good enough parent), and my imagination is limited to the concrete.

Ok, so, being a deep diver and having a busy mind (did you guess that by now?), I've been binging on Yo Samdy Sam's YouTube channel, and I've latched on to the autism thing obsessively. While I don't put a huge amount of stock in do-it-yourself diagnosis, I did take the Autism Quotient Test (recently discussed by Yo Samdy Sam ) and scored 33 out of 50, which is a bit high. I also found a lot in Sam's discussion of what it's like to have autism that sounds like me.

One reason I'm not sure about autism is that I don't have meltdowns. I definitely have shutdowns (like at the end of a workday I cannot stand talking to anyone and need to sit in silence hyperfocusing on something I'm studying for a few hours); but I don't pull my hair or do anything like that. The constant foot shaking and squirming in my chair to get out of the meeting I'm in seems more ADHDish, as does the getting up from the dinner table shortly after the meal is finished to do the dishes while everyone else is still chatting around the table (I drop back in when a fun topic comes up :-).

On the other hand, to the extent that genetics is an indicator for me, both of my daugthers have ADHD, and there is my atypical reaction to psychostimulants.

And yes, I know, it's possible to have both ADHD and autism.

The biggest problem I want to solve is the extreme exhaustion that I suffer from being in social situations. I really want to be more engaged with my religious community, but every time I get into it much, it just becomes overwhelmingly exhausting. I come home from work completely wiped out. Unless I do something to keep myself mentally stimulated on Saturday, I get a crashing depression that lasts through Sunday until I get hyped up again.

Is this exhuastion because I have been "masking" all these years but was not aware of what I was doing and how much energy it takes? Could I have gotten so good at masking that social interaction has come to feel natural to me but still exhausting? Or is it just because for someone with ADHD, staying on task (i.e, paying attention) to what people are saying, and coping the stimuli of an office environment, are also inherently exhausting? The sensitivity to light and noise stimuli (which led to persistent low grain migraines a few years ago) could go with either ADHD or autism. Either way, the energy it takes to filter these things out is exhausting.

My therapist is an old-school psychologist who is not having any of this neurodiversity stuff: she insists that it's all about the PTSD. In other words, she would say (not in these words of course) that I am a broken neurotypical rather than neurodivergent. But after all these years of psychotherapy, as helpful as they've been, I am really doubting whether this modality is going to solve this particular problem.

Assuming I haven't lost you yet, I just wanted to share one more thing. As Sam touches on in her discussion of whether it's worth it to get an official diagnosis, going through my childhood experiences through the lens of both ASD and ADHD feels painful. I've always assumed that my complete inability to relate to my social surroundings and the lengthy process (lasting into adulthood) of teaching myself how it all works (like, when people are being serious versus when they are joking, developing a thicker skin around my high emotional sensitivity, and learning to force myself to pay attention when someone is talking, especially in a group situation) were related to my PTSD. It's somehow very different to think I might actually be neurodivergent in some way.

Anyway, that's me in a nutshell :-)

Thanks for listening.
--YA

Hi YogaAbba

welcome to af.png

Welcome to Autismforums.com, YogaAbba.

I hope that this forum can be a piece of your process to understand you better.

May peace, understanding, and patience be active as you step thru this process.

Hi YogaAbba! Welcome to the Forum. I am going through a similar discovery process, so look forward to more discussions.

Hi, YogaAbba! That was an intelligent, thoughtfully written introductory post. I think it's reasonable to assume that both your complex PTSD and your neurodivergent brain may contribute to social exhaustion. People talk about how masking is exhausting, and that's true; but if your brain has to work harder to process social stuff, even if you aren't actually trying to mask, that has got to be exhausting too, hasn't it?

Hi and welcome. Wow your psychologist is certainly Old school if she's not aware of neurodiversity information. She needs to go on a refresher. Well I would suggest that whoever thinks whatever, factoring ASD in as a possibility can't do any harm, and may lead to you finding some useful strategies for you and possibly your daughters. I hope that you enjoy it here, and get useful discussions and ideas.

:bicyclist::rowboat::runner::surfer::walking::snowboarder::swimmer::rocket:

I would direct your old school psychologist to the dsm-5 which includes the diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder ,if she doesn't want that one she can go for icd-11 which also has autism spectrum disorder or with the French who say Asperger's syndrome or autism or every other country on the planet I've had the the inference you're a hypochondriac it's bizarre that autistic people know more than a psychologist any other disease you would have to go and look it up but when my mother started to have the symptoms of Lou Gehrig's disease she did exactly what we did went and looked it up and diagnosed herself then had to go and spend £200 so she could get treatment and other places

People talk about how masking is exhausting, and that's true; but if your brain has to work harder to process social stuff, even if you aren't actually trying to mask, that has got to be exhausting too, hasn't it?

Yes, that is very true. Having PTSD makes you fundamentally hypervigilent, which means you are indeed working harder to process what's going on in your social environment. And as is the case with adaptation to the neurodivergent brain, it's easy not to be aware of it.

The truth is that PTSD in itself is a form of neurodivergence because it does change the way the brain operates. And there are even epigenetic changes that pass some of these changes on to one's children. That said, there are people in the therapy biz who argue that it is possible to reverse or mitigate these effects. I've just been at therapy so long that I am sort of beginning to loose hope for that particular issue (though therapy certainly is generally helpful).

Thanks.
--YA

You might find it interesting that most autistics have some type of PTSD. Not sure if it's due to our being gullible and naïve and easily taken advantage of or that we tend to process events so deeply.

I think most of us can also relate to the social exhaustion, too.

Anyhow, hello and welcome. I hope you find being here helpful - it's a great place to find understanding and other's who relate.

I saw a therapist for several years for support dealing with a physical disability. Her specialty was rehabilitation psychology (where rehabilitation meant physical disability - not drug/alcohol rehab).

When I decided to go for an autism diagnosis, I didn't even consult her for advice. It wasn't until I had my result in hand that I mentioned it to her. She was astonished that such a thing was possible! (and maybe surprised or hurt that I did it all without consulting her).

She retired and I am now seeing a clinical psychologist for support dealing with a family member's dementia. She's probably around 60 or maybe older, but was very explicit that she has no experience working with autism. I told her not to worry - because I wasn't seeking help with that issue. From time to time, I let her know that I think autism is playing a part in some problem I'm having, and I explain why. So I am educating her a little and she doesn't mind that. But again, I am okay not having autism be a primary focus.

My point is that a therapist can be very helpful with one area, and no use at all with another - and that's okay. There are extremely few mental health providers working with autistic adults - it's mostly children, because that's what insurance pays for. (If at all.) But no worries! Because almost every one of us has co-morbids, especially anxiety and depression, that insurance does pay for.

I sought a diagnosis through my primary care doctor, and contrary to what everyone says, I got the assessment paid for through my health insurance. (This is in the USA.)

Good luck to everyone with adult autism, and keep searching for the right kind of help.

My point is that a therapist can be very helpful with one area, and no use at all with another - and that's okay.

Yeah, I am learning that that is the case in this and in a few other areas that are significant.

What kind of professional did your GP refer you to for the diagnosis? I gather it's some subspecialty of psychology or psychiatry?

I live in a fairly remote place so the likelihood of finding someone who is up-to-date on adult diagnosis is slim-to-none. But it's worth looking.

Thanks!
--YA

What kind of professional did your GP refer you to for the diagnosis? I gather it's some subspecialty of psychology or psychiatry?

I live in a fairly remote place so the likelihood of finding someone who is up-to-date on adult diagnosis is slim-to-none. But it's worth looking.
I live in a university town, with a top notch university medical center. I was first referred to a clinical psychologist, but she couldn't work with me because she worked with a family member and that was her (personal) rule. She then found me a child psychiatrist in an autism center, who agreed to see me.

I won't claim it was a quick process - maybe 9 months from first contact to last. For me, it was worth doing.

You might find it interesting that most autistics have some type of PTSD. Not sure if it's due to our being gullible and naïve and easily taken advantage of or that we tend to process events so deeply.

Yes, I do find this very interesting. It's interesting to me that some people I know (my wife for example) went through trauma's similar to mine in childhood but don't have PTSD, which is rather amazing to me (though she does have other issues).

But what's even more interesting than that is your observation that people on the spectrum tend to be gullible and naive and easily taken advantage of. As I've been identifying certain autistic traits in myself, it has occurred to me that they might be related to my having been very gullible and naive and consequently taken advantage of, but I wasn't sure if that was a common autistic issue. Well into adulthood I remember situations where I just took what someone said seriously, at face value, just not getting that they were joking, and they were astonished that I didn't get that they were joking. That kind of face-value understanding of others certainly made me vulnerable to all sorts of manipulation by others. It's taken me years to learn this part of the social map, and it was a painful process.

Thanks for your comments.
--YA

Yes, I do find this very interesting. It's interesting to me that some people I know (my wife for example) went through trauma's similar to mine in childhood but don't have PTSD, which is rather amazing to me (though she does have other issues).

But what's even more interesting than that is your observation that people on the spectrum tend to be gullible and naive and easily taken advantage of. As I've been identifying certain autistic traits in myself, it has occurred to me that they might be related to my having been very gullible and naive and consequently taken advantage of, but I wasn't sure if that was a common autistic issue. Well into adulthood I remember situations where I just took what someone said seriously, at face value, just not getting that they were joking, and they were astonished that I didn't get that they were joking. That kind of face-value understanding of others certainly made me vulnerable to all sorts of manipulation by others. It's taken me years to learn this part of the social map, and it was a painful process.

Thanks for your comments.
--YA
Hi Ya. :) Growing up with 3 other siblings, often something was said by a parent and I am the only one affected by it - guess I took it more seriously than the others.

New Threads

Top Bottom