• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Xinyta

~Closeted Goth | A rabbit/dragon in spirit~

This scene in the game has some emotional context attached to it. And a very pivotal moment in the game's storyline. Samus, during some elevator rides, adds exposition of the situation or her memories of Adam (which was horribly botched in Other M). Her memories of Adam are the result of naming the computer AI after him. This scene is the climax of that story thread and reveals things about what the Galactic Fedration's intentions are(another story thread in this).

Metroid Fusion is a uncomfortably linear game, compared to others of it's type. But it's one that creates a linearness that works for what was being told through it's environment and subtext. Beyond less obvious information, which Samus exposition dumps about, as far as her memories.

I love this game to death. And even appreciate more as a fan of Metroid, as a whole.

But there is also a underlined story of overcoming seemingly impossible odds. Which I appreciate more now, as a person leaving from thier worst self.

A mission to destroy that, which cannot be controlled. To prevent a blight from take over everything. In this case. The antagonist is the alien organism, the X parasite. One, in the form of a X Core, mimics Samus.

That's great that you found an even deeper appreciation and on a more personal level as well.

It's been a long time since I played Fusion, but it's on my list to give another play or 2, along with Zero Mission, on a modded original GBA I recently finished. I'd also like to check out the additional content in Metroid Prime using the GBA link cable to the Gamecube and also try out a few Fusion mods/romhacks using a flashcart.

The GBA mod was an all black, almost full mod with new shell, buttons, contacts and backlit LCD with adjustable brightness. The only original parts were the motherboard and speaker.

The only problem with the LCD is a lot of GBA games (Metroid Fusion included) were made with massive colour saturation to compensate for the non-backlit LCDs of the original model, so the colours look all wrong on games that would otherwise look beautiful on a newer LCD. Luckily I found a Fusion romhack that looks like it fixes the issue and I can use the flashcart to play romhacks on original hardware (although I could always emulate, I suppose.)

GBA.jpg

That's great that you found an even deeper appreciation and on a more personal level as well.

I think the one thing that hit me the most in the fan animation version, is Samus's response to AI Adam's "Any objections, Lady?". The thumbs down Samus does, holds alot more of an endearing and emotional meaning. Considering the context in the game and how she perceives him, which is well established in the game.

Something that Other M failed to convey correctly, when they did it.

It's been a long time since I played Fusion, but it's on my list to give another play or 2, along with Zero Mission, on a modded original GBA I recently finished.

I'm with you. I've not played either in a long time, myself.

When I did play. It was a tradition to play through once getting as many items as I could, then play a new game over the completed game save to do a 100% items run. The reason I did that is because the new save, over the completed game save, will have a item count for each area for both games, when you look at the pause screen map. It helps alot with keep track of what I do and do not got.

The GBA mod was an all black, almost full mod with new shell, buttons, contacts and backlit LCD with adjustable brightness. The only original parts were the motherboard and speaker.

The only problem with the LCD is a lot of GBA games (Metroid Fusion included) were made with massive colour saturation to compensate for the non-backlit LCDs of the original model, so the colours look all wrong on games that would otherwise look beautiful on a newer LCD. Luckily I found a Fusion romhack that looks like it fixes the issue and I can use the flashcart to play romhacks on original hardware (although I could always emulate, I suppose.)

That's really cool. Yeah the lack of back light is the reason I played on the Gameboy Player for Gamecube. I'm ironically not too bothered by the color saturation. It made things really stand out. Which did help for environmental exploration, mostly.

Last edited:

Honestly. Until the fan animation. I never closely paid attention to the full feel of the music that comes after the confronting adam scene.

There is the sense of triumph in it. Yet there is a sense of melancholy in it. A almost apprehensive hope that you will succeed against all odds. In truth, it's a song that could be taken alot of ways.

The music through the game has a tone to it that does fit the horror atmosphere of facing the X parasites. SA-X's encounter theme, particularly, is haunting. Especially with those cold, heavy, footsteps from the armor suit.

You can hear the encounter theme separately on Youtube. But it doesn't have the same feel as this does, with the SA-X's footsteps. It puts a indescribable chill down your spine. Despite how derpy the AI is for the SA-X in the game. The chases in the later half of the game can be down right stupid, if you know how to mess with the AI.

Just as an example. Though the last SA-X scene is just something that happens normally in the game. But yes. The SA-X IS stupid for attacking the predator of it's kind. The Metroids.

Last edited:
I loved the original SNES metroid. I didn't realize this got so much story development.

I loved the original SNES metroid. I didn't realize this got so much story development.

I believe you are talking about Super Metroid. That's Metroid 3 on the main line timeline. It's definitely a great game. A game that strongly encourages sequence breaking and exploration.

Metroid Fusion is Metroid 4 and the recent Metroid Dread is Metroid 5. As far as the main line timeline.

But yeah. It's a pretty rich tapestry of story. It's one of the few things I could talk about all day. It's a series that holds a close tie to me as something truly enjoyable.

I find this pretty dang impressive. Especially since Nightmare X is literally the hardest boss in Metroid Fusion. Ridley X is difficult and no joke in his own ways. But Nightmare X is a whole other ballpark of difficulty.

I've only no hit Nightmare X once. It's the hardest I ever concentrated in my life.

Never played Metroid Fusion, though I've played the first three games: Metroid (NES), Metroid 2: Return of Samus (Game Boy) and Super Metroid (SNES).

Ridley I've found to be high in difficulty starting with the first game, though (unlike Kraid) once I got to him I could almost cheese him with the missiles and energy found up to that point.

As for Ridley in Super Metroid, I found his second encounter something of a threat, even with missiles and a fully upgraded suit. I might be wrong on this, but if he uses his tail on you while you're doing a Screw Attack it'll cancel it out and you'll still take damage. In the Metroid games, for anyone who doesn't know, the Screw Attack upgrade lets you jump indefinitely and turns you into what looks like a hovering, indestructible sawblade. Well...except for this particular battle with Ridley.

In the Metroid games, for anyone who doesn't know, the Screw Attack upgrade lets you jump indefinitely and turns you into what looks like a hovering, indestructible sawblade.

You are only half right. You need the Space Jump in addition to the Screw Attack, to get the effect you are talking about. The Screw Attack is basically a weaponized spin jump. The space jump is the ability that gives you infinite jumps, as long as you keep tapping the jump button. The timing of the Space Jump is different in each game that has it.

Since Original Metroid didn't have the Space Jump, which Metroid Zero Mission retcons. You just have the Screw Attack.

Never played Metroid Fusion, though I've played the first three games: Metroid (NES), Metroid 2: Return of Samus (Game Boy) and Super Metroid (SNES).

Ridley I've found to be high in difficulty starting with the first game, though (unlike Kraid) once I got to him I could almost cheese him with the missiles and energy found up to that point.

As for Ridley in Super Metroid, I found his second encounter something of a threat, even with missiles and a fully upgraded suit. I might be wrong on this, but if he uses his tail on you while you're doing a Screw Attack it'll cancel it out and you'll still take damage.

Honestly. Ridely is only as hard as he is in Original Metroid, due to tech. The Super Metroid fight against him is an actual fight. Ridely in Zero Mission is a joke. Ridely X in Fusion is just Tanky and Obnoxious.

But yeah Ridley's Tail in Super is about the only thing the can successfully interrupt the Screw Attack/Space Jump in mid use.

You are only half right. You need the Space Jump in addition to the Screw Attack, to get the effect you are talking about. The Screw Attack is basically a weaponized spin jump. The space jump is the ability that gives you infinite jumps, as long as you keep tapping the jump button. The timing of the Space Jump is different in each game that has it.

Since Original Metroid didn't have the Space Jump, which Metroid Zero Mission retcons. You just have the Screw Attack.

To expand upon this. Metroid Prime 2 Echoes and Metroid Prime 3 Corruption both have a variation of the 'Screw Attack', which I hesitate to call a fusion of the Screw Attack and Space Jump. It's effectively it's own entity as a movement item. While it does allow you to cross large gaps, it mainly serves as a movement upgrade for wall jumping. Also it gives you a cap of five jumps for jumping over big gaps. But enemies in the way of this version of the Screw Attack do still die instantly from getting hit by it.

New Threads

Top Bottom