• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Could Autism be diagnosed via Stool Samples Soon?

FoxLovinPat

So I recently read this article talking about how a recent study suggests that it might be possible to diagnose Autism via stool samples.
Autism could be diagnosed with stool sample, scientists say

Thought it could be an interesting topic for a thread.
Now I've not done this before so bear with me here if this brief synopsis isn't that great.

Firstly it mentioned something that I was unaware of, that being that apparently scientists have already been aware that Autistic individuals have less varied bacteria living in their digestive system, compared to Neurotypical Individuals but they're currently unsure why this is. So I guess it was only natural that someone would have the idea to try and use this fact as a diagnostic tool by examining stool to see what types of bacteria are and aren't present in the samples.

For this particular study they analysed stool samples from 1,627 children between the ages of 1-13, which included a mix ND and NT children, and they checked the samples to see which bacteria were present, and did the same for viruses, fungi and other microbes called archaea. They were able to properly identify 82% of the autistic children just by looking at the variations in which bacteria, viruses, etc were and weren't present.
This particular study also showed that 51 types of bacteria, 18 viruses, 14 archaea, seven fungi, and a dozen metabolic pathways, were altered in autistic children.

As science typically goes though, this doesn't mean that this is conclusive, and the article does note that more study is needed on this before this could potentially be put into practice.

Last edited:
I don't want to be in a group that has different poop from everyone else.
Could be worse. Waiting nervously each year for your results reflecting whether or not you have colon cancer. There's a group no one wants to be in.

But then that reminds me, what are the chances of a "false-positive" test result, whether over colon cancer or autism?

I don't believe in these things anyway. Autism is no more than a different brain wiring caused by mostly genetics. I don't believe anything physical comes into it, not immunity, not "gut" bacteria (whichever "gut" it is is never specified), not blood type, none of that. If all of those were factors then we'd surely have physical deformities or illnesses, like people with Downs syndrome do.

I read the article a couple of days ago and agree with your assessment that much more research is needed. I can see a lot of variables affecting the outcome of the sampling. Picky eater children won't have the same gut flora as children who eat a range of different foods, and many autistic kids are very picky about their diets. Many autistic children I've been around put things in their mouths like twigs, sticks, rocks, pieces of plastic, etc. that could easily introduce fungi, bacteria and viruses to their stomachs that other children aren't exposed to because they rarely, if ever, put those things in their mouths. It's unclear to me whether the mothers' gut flora is a contributing cause to autism in their offspring.

Thanks for posting.

It's unclear to me whether the mothers' gut flora is a contributing cause to autism in their offspring.

Thanks for posting.

Agreed. It's interesting, but it may all well reflect what I'd call a "medical long shot". Where conducting research alone is no guarantee of any "breakthrough" conclusions.

If this turns out to be feasible, it'll be an amazing screening tool. Hopefully implemented as were other early screening tests for different conditions.

In Portugal they do several required tests between birth and preschool age to determine conditions like cystic fibrosis, hypothyroidism, etc.

I think this would be wonderful, if actually exact and efficient.

I also read this - it looks interesting, but agree that more info/research is needed before reaching any conclusions.

I don't mind having special poop.

I don't know about testing for autism but here our health department constantly monitors and screens sewerage samples for diseases and puts out warnings whenever something nasty shows up.

Well I am already used to regularly collecting my dogs samples. I'm even happy about it sometimes because its an important part of troubleshooting illness's. 'Oh boy I got one! And I even know whose it is!' It was really hard when I had 4 dogs :D

Perhaps a saliva test could also show a difference in the future. It is after all, the other end of the alimentary canal.
BTW, I'm curious if other autistics here have poor dental health? Bad teeth definitely affects lifespan...

BTW, I'm curious if other autistics here have poor dental health? Bad teeth definitely affects lifespan...
I don't have any unbroken ones left. They were just rubbish teeth right from the start, looking after them properly didn't make any difference. My father was the same, and my brother. The old man told me to stop wasting money on dentists and I agreed with him. They still work well enough though, I've watched people trying to eat with false teeth and I think I'll stick with what I've got.

I don't have any unbroken ones left. They were just rubbish teeth right from the start, looking after them properly didn't make any difference. My father was the same, and my brother. The old man told me to stop wasting money on dentists and I agreed with him. They still work well enough though, I've watched people trying to eat with false teeth and I think I'll stick with what I've got.
Kind of the same here. I don't know how many root canals and fillings; working on third implant. My dentist might buy another yacht with the proceeds! In contrast my brother never had a cavity.

There's a place called Los Algodones on the Baja California/ California border, many people from USA and Canada go there for cheap dental work. Some call it Molar City. Can Australians do the same if they go to Indonesia or other country? Just curious.

Can Australians do the same if they go to Indonesia or other country? Just curious.
We quite often do, for a lot of different hospital treatments mostly. Not Indonesia though, they all go to the Philipines and Malaysia. Hospital treatments such as knee reconstructions are very cheap there and they have good reputations. All the necessary things are covered by our public health care but elective surgery isn't, and a holiday in Manillla including a few days in hospital is a lot cheaper than paying for full health insurance.

So I recently read this article talking about how a recent study suggests that it might be possible to diagnose Autism via stool samples.
Autism could be diagnosed with stool sample, scientists say

Thought it could be an interesting topic for a thread.
Now I've not done this before so bear with me here if this brief synopsis isn't that great.

Firstly it mentioned something that I was unaware of, that being that apparently scientists have already been aware that Autistic individuals have less varied bacteria living in their digestive system, compared to Neurotypical Individuals but they're currently unsure why this is. So I guess it was only natural that someone would have the idea to try and use this fact as a diagnostic tool by examining stool to see what types of bacteria are and aren't present in the samples.

For this particular study they analysed stool samples from 1,627 children between the ages of 1-13, which included a mix ND and NT children, and they checked the samples to see which bacteria were present, and did the same for viruses, fungi and other microbes called archaea. They were able to properly identify 82% of the autistic children just by looking at the variations in which bacteria, viruses, etc were and weren't present.
This particular study also showed that 51 types of bacteria, 18 viruses, 14 archaea, seven fungi, and a dozen metabolic pathways, were altered in autistic children.

As science typically goes though, this doesn't mean that this is conclusive, and the article does note that more study is needed on this before this could potentially be put into practice.
It is entirely possible that autism influenced the gut biome and not the other way around.

Also, you generally inherit your gut biome from your parents. Same folks you'd get your autism genes from.

Studies pop up all the time and turn out to be incorrect. It would have to be repeated elsewhere for me to pay much attention. The article stated that it takes years to get an autism diagnosis and not until a child is 6. We can get very high-reliability autism diagnoses as early as two. Sometimes one. It only takes a few visits.

I don't believe in these things anyway. Autism is no more than a different brain wiring caused by mostly genetics. I don't believe anything physical comes into it, not immunity, not "gut" bacteria (whichever "gut" it is is never specified), not blood type, none of that. If all of those were factors then we'd surely have physical deformities or illnesses, like people with Downs syndrome do.
Based on almost 30 year of casual research about autism, 80% is due to heredity.
Some is due to mutation.
And the rest is unclear.

Based on almost 30 year of casual research about autism, 80% is due to heredity.
Some is due to mutation.
And the rest is unclear.
Other disorders, such as learning disability, ADHD, dyspraxia, dyslexia, etc, don't seem to be connected to all these things so why should autism? My theory is you were born with it, end of.
I don't like the endless studies they do on autism all the time, like we're some sort of mystery that needs to be solved.

Other disorders, such as learning disability, ADHD, dyspraxia, dyslexia, etc, don't seem to be connected to all these things so why should autism? My theory is you were born with it, end of.
If it is heredity, absolutely you are born with ND.
I like to stay open-minded, but this hasn't reached my threshold of taking it seriously.
If I had an infinite number of spoons, maybe. 🥄🥄🥄🥄🥄🥄🥄🥄🥄🥄🥄🥄🥄

New Threads

Top Bottom