• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

jack_attack

Jack Attack
Hi,

My name is Jack and I'm new here. I was just diagnosed with autism yesterday after eight years of my parents and I trying to figure out what's up with my mind. It's been a long and emotional journey, and I definitely have mixed feelings about my diagnosis.

(Disclaimer: I write a lot, but I'll put a TL;DR at the end if you don't want to read everything).

Several years ago, my parents realized I was a bit different from other kids and took me to get evaluated for a mental disorder. I showed signs of autism as well as generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), but my symptoms overlapped and the psychologist couldn't isolate the cause to one particular diagnosis. Eventually, I was diagnosed with GAD, but my parents and teachers have wondered if I'm also autistic ever since.

Since then, I've had four therapists, two evaluations, one medication, and a partridge in a pear tree. Until recently, I was doing everything I could to avoid an autism diagnosis out of fear of the stigma. But in these past few months, I've gotten to know so many great people who are openly autistic, and I realized maybe having autism isn't that bad. I think finding out that my favorite teacher was on the spectrum sold it for me. So just a couple of weeks ago, I asked my parents if I could be reevaluated. Since I'd already been evaluated, the psychologists had almost all the information they needed to give me the diagnosis. My parents pulled me out of school before third period, and I came back for sixth hour with an autism diagnosis.

Now that I have that label, my thoughts and emotions have been all over the place. On the one hand, I'm happy that I finally understand why I am the way I am, and that I have paperwork to prove it. I'm thrilled to have access to a diverse community of people who think and act like I do and won't judge me for being who I am. But at the same time, I still have that desire to just be a "normal" kid, who can relate to others easily without anxiety, awkwardness, & "weird" quirks. When I got the diagnosis, I was like, "This is great! Now I can be who I am without shame!" But when I got back to school half an hour later, I felt more ashamed of my "weirdness" than ever before. It's been back and forth between those two extremes for the past 32 hours with little in between.

I guess I should talk about other stuff besides my diagnosis, so, yeah... I'm a music and theater nerd. I play the upright and electric bass, sing in my school's choir, and act in the school plays. I'm also the president of the Interact Club (community service) and vice president of the Tri-M (music) and Thespian Society (theater) chapters at my school. I just got into the highest band and jazz band at school and got my first lead acting role as Colonel Mustard in Clue. When I finish high school, I want to become a teacher or do some other career that involves working with kids and making a positive impact in their lives. For now, I'm just trying to survive high school and prepare for the future, hopefully helping others and having fun along the way.

TL;DR: I'm a high school music/theater nerd with autism and generalized anxiety disorder. Figuring my brain out has been and still is an emotional roller coaster, but at least my "weirdness" kinda makes sense now.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I hope you have a great day!

~Jack Attack

Glad to have you with us, @jack_attack

The diagnosis is the first big part, of a longer journey. The feeling of not belonging in the NT world will not ever truly go away. But it hurts less, as you find what makes your flavor of autism great. Having others who know definitely helps and even being on places, like here, can help you understand perspectives of other autistics better.

I am undiagnosed myself. But I know I have what I have.

Hopefully you will stick around. You'll learn alot from folks here. And we get to learn from you as well. As all of our autistic experiences are different, in alot of ways. But similar in others.

@jack_attack, first of all, welcome. :)

Like many of us that are new to what an autism condition is, most will think that it is some sort of psychological and/or psychiatric condition. After all, it's the symptoms that lead to a diagnosis in many cases.

Now, here is the news you might not be aware of. The symptoms of the condition are secondary. The primary reason autistics have these symptoms is because autism is a prenatal, genetic and epigenetic, neurodevelopmental condition. There is an associated neuroanatomy, mostly seen at the micro anatomical level and cellular level. The migrational patterns of neurons are different. The functional conductivity (voltages) and connectivity (wiring pathways) are different. It creates areas where the excitatory and inhibitory neurotransmitters are out of balance. It creates areas of excessive oxidative products and inflammation. Even the brain cells that are responsible for immune responses are different in number and distribution. It can effect your overall immune system leading to a more pronounced inflammatory response from infection and injury. It can effect your fine motor skills. This is just some of it. It effects our entire being in one way or another.

As @Xinyta eluded to, you are just beginning your journey. Part of it will be learning about the condition, itself. Part of it will be learning to accept it into your life. No one can change who they are, per se. They have to play the game with cards dealt to them. This often means you may fail at doing things the neurotypical way but will find a way from point A to point B your way, often by trial and error. You are definitely a human being, but as you probably have found out, you can't play by neurotypical rules and be successful. You may have found out things you struggle with, but also things that you can do easily that others struggle with. Play to your strengths, even if it means being a bit isolated and not following others.

Last edited:
TL;DR: I'm a high school music/theater nerd with autism and generalized anxiety disorder. Figuring my brain out has been and still is an emotional roller coaster, but at least my "weirdness" kinda makes sense now.

yellowshirt.jpg

Hi,

My name is Jack and I'm new here. I was just diagnosed with autism yesterday after eight years of my parents and I trying to figure out what's up with my mind. It's been a long and emotional journey, and I definitely have mixed feelings about my diagnosis.

(Disclaimer: I write a lot, but I'll put a TL;DR at the end if you don't want to read everything).

Several years ago, my parents realized I was a bit different from other kids and took me to get evaluated for a mental disorder. I showed signs of autism as well as generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), but my symptoms overlapped and the psychologist couldn't isolate the cause to one particular diagnosis. Eventually, I was diagnosed with GAD, but my parents and teachers have wondered if I'm also autistic ever since.

Since then, I've had four therapists, two evaluations, one medication, and a partridge in a pear tree. Until recently, I was doing everything I could to avoid an autism diagnosis out of fear of the stigma. But in these past few months, I've gotten to know so many great people who are openly autistic, and I realized maybe having autism isn't that bad. I think finding out that my favorite teacher was on the spectrum sold it for me. So just a couple of weeks ago, I asked my parents if I could be reevaluated. Since I'd already been evaluated, the psychologists had almost all the information they needed to give me the diagnosis. My parents pulled me out of school before third period, and I came back for sixth hour with an autism diagnosis.

Now that I have that label, my thoughts and emotions have been all over the place. On the one hand, I'm happy that I finally understand why I am the way I am, and that I have paperwork to prove it. I'm thrilled to have access to a diverse community of people who think and act like I do and won't judge me for being who I am. But at the same time, I still have that desire to just be a "normal" kid, who can relate to others easily without anxiety, awkwardness, & "weird" quirks. When I got the diagnosis, I was like, "This is great! Now I can be who I am without shame!" But when I got back to school half an hour later, I felt more ashamed of my "weirdness" than ever before. It's been back and forth between those two extremes for the past 32 hours with little in between.

I guess I should talk about other stuff besides my diagnosis, so, yeah... I'm a music and theater nerd. I play the upright and electric bass, sing in my school's choir, and act in the school plays. I'm also the president of the Interact Club (community service) and vice president of the Tri-M (music) and Thespian Society (theater) chapters at my school. I just got into the highest band and jazz band at school and got my first lead acting role as Colonel Mustard in Clue. When I finish high school, I want to become a teacher or do some other career that involves working with kids and making a positive impact in their lives. For now, I'm just trying to survive high school and prepare for the future, hopefully helping others and having fun along the way.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I hope you have a great day!

~Jack Attack
Hey I can't imagine what it's like getting the diagnosis in High School. That period is already tough enough, from what I recall, I'm 42. What I will say though is that at least now you know. And that's huge as it'll explain so much. I didn't get diagnosed until a few months ago so I spent 41 years of my life not knowing. Things would have been so much better if I'd found out at your age. Mind you I've still had a fairly successful work/school life up to now. Now I personally am in the camp that doesn't view autism as a disability but rather just a different way of thinking that a subset of humanity has developed. We innovate, create, see and do things our neurotypical peers just don't. Conversely they see and do things in a way we don't process. Neither is more valid than the other, they are just different styles of thinking. And in knowing you are Autistic you can start building those bridges to communicate with the NT's. And most importantly you can start living with the knowledge of how your mind works and you can start to really thrive. Though with all you are involved in you seem to be doing pretty well.

Welcome aboard, and I'm glad you have your diagnosis.

Also just a random side note, I'm also a bass player, who was the IT guy in High School, and the Audio Visual club president back then. If you want some great bass look up Victor Wooten and Classical Thump. I had the pleasure of seeing him play live, twice, just last Thursday.

It's only a label do not let a label define who you are you have not changed nothing has changed you are still the same person only difference now you know why you are the way you are what you do with it is up to you, be yourself or hide. I self diagnosed in my mid fifties easy to second guess decisions I made years ago retired now,

Thank you all for your kind words and informative posts! If any of you wouldn't mind answering, I have a couple of questions based on what I've seen so far on this site.

1. What is an "aspie score?" I've seen this in a few people's signatures, and I'm curious what it is and how to calculate it.

2. How do you "react" to other people's messages? I've seen a few "winner" and "friendly" reactions to my posts and others, but I only see a like button for some reason.

Welcome to the forum, @jack_attack. Hope you enjoy it here.

If you are on a PC, you can hover your cursor over the thumbs up emoji and get the range of options. On mobile, you give that thumb one press and it should give you the same options.

1726349636460.png

With the scores, I think what you are referring to are people sharing the results of their Autism Spectrum Quotient scores.

One way to check that out is here:
Autism Spectrum Quotient

It's a self test to get an idea of what kind of autistic traits you identify with.

1. What is an "aspie score?" I've seen this in a few people's signatures, and I'm curious what it is and how to calculate it.

Since @Rodafina has already answered question #2, I'll answer #1.

The aspie score comes from a online quiz that gives you a overall score based on your answers. There is also one for Monotropisum too. These are by no means diagnosing tools. Just something that can help you get a read on yourself.

New Threads

Top Bottom