• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Digital camera review sites?

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Does anyone know any good cheap digital cameras? I'm looking for a good brand that does 1080P HD videos and up to 20 Megaplxel images.

I would like any brand except Sony. and the maximum price I want to pay would be £100 English.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure they review all cameras, just browse around a little, I could be wrong

Thanks, I might have a look if there's a review of the Sony Cybershot camera I've just seen on PC World's website for £79. Only thing is as an Xbox fan I'm opposed to Sony in general, but I don't think Microsoft makes digital cameras.

And I understand things like budget restrictions, where I will spend as much as $1K (CDN) for camera gear that I purchase

And I understand things like budget restrictions, where I will spend as much as $1K (CDN) for camera gear that I purchase

Even I had £1000 I wouldn't spend it on a digital camera I'd use about 3 times a year for Comic Con type events.

In that price range ($140) more often than not reviews are more likely to rate Sony at the top. That said I've been "married" to the Canon brand myself since 1986. (Used their digital SLRs since 2008.) But no, I'm not going to diss Nikon either. Companies where their primary product are cameras first and foremost.

You might consider looking at this model (Canon IXUS 185) and moving up within the Canon brand if you can find something better while remaining within your price considerations. This one only goes to 720P in HD with 20 MP but it's selling for only £99.99.

Impressive to see a camera in this price range with a form of "image stabilization". Allows you to take hand-held shots with slower shutter speeds without blurring. At least there's also a YouTube video displaying its video quality at 720p.

Buy Canon IXUS 185 20MP 8x Zoom Compact Digital Camera Bundle at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Compact digital cameras, Cameras, Cameras and camcorders, Technology.

Last edited:
In that price range ($140) more often than not reviews are more likely to rate Sony at the top. That said I've been "married" to the Canon brand myself since 1986. (Used their digital SLRs since 2008.) But no, I'm not going to diss Nikon either. Companies where their primary product are cameras first and foremost.

You might consider looking at this model (Canon IXUS 185) and moving up within the Canon brand if you can find something better while remaining within your price considerations. This one only goes to 720P in HD with 20 MP but it's selling for only £99.99.

Impressive to see a camera in this price range with a form of "image stabilization". Allows you to take hand-held shots with slower shutter speeds without blurring. At least there's also a YouTube video displaying its video quality at 720p.

Buy Canon IXUS 185 20MP 8x Zoom Compact Digital Camera Bundle at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Compact digital cameras, Cameras, Cameras and camcorders, Technology.

You know what? That's really really helpful, you are now worthy of being removed from my ignore list :D

You might continue to look around, but at least that model gives you a "benchmark" of where to start. You might find a model for just a little more money that gives you the 1080p resolution you're looking for.

Though personally while I can visually notice the difference between 720 and 1080, it's a relatively small one IMO.

My only concern for these cameras that are sized like a pack of cigarettes is that it's easy to drop them. Though I suppose most have retainers that allow you to add a strap. Yet it must be cool to be able to put something like this safely in a pocket as well. Having a regular-sized SLR can be inconvenient at times.

You might also investigate whatever additional software may come with such cameras, at least to see if your OS supports it. Though in general the .jpg file format itself remains universal in use with much of any OS.

Last edited:
Search Amazon for "20mp 1080p camera." There are lots of cameras with these specs that come in well under £100, but not sure they will meet your criteria for "good brand."

Even I had £1000 I wouldn't spend it on a digital camera I'd use about 3 times a year for Comic Con type events.

Duly noted... :) We all have our interests, I'm not that rich but have found ways to afford the better gear, it's important to me...

Just found this on Amazon UK, last one they've got in stock, are Polaroids a good brand? The price is bang on what I want to pay for a good spec camera, 20 MP, 1080P video recording.

Personally I'd be inclined to pass on the Polaroid IX828 compared to the Canon. Also it looks like Amazon offers Canon's camera for a little less than Argos.

While you have to take product reviews with a certain amount of skepticism, I don't like the breakdown of this product's 43% five star reviews and 36% one star reviews. Ouch. Possible lens quality concerns. Compare it to Amazon's reviews of the Canon IXUS 185 which look considerably more positive with 60% five star reviews and only 6% one star reviews.

Both cameras at this price range appear not to have any "connectivity technology". Presumably meaning that you have to physically transfer data using the camera's SD memory card.

If your laptop doesn't have an SD slot you can always buy an external adapter unit with an SD and other types of memory slots that can plug directly into your laptop's USB port. You just remove the SD card from the camera and insert it into the adapter's slot to transfer .jpg files to your laptop. I posted a page of Amazon UK SD slot adapters for you to look at. They seem cheap enough.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Polaroid-I...ords=20mp+digital+camera&tag=aspiescentral-20

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-IXUS-185-Digital-Camera/dp/B01MZ2MAWI/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1519509117&sr=1-2&keywords=Canon+IXUS+185&dpID=41p%2BjE3HiBL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=SD+slot+adapter

Last edited:
Don't forget that you don't have to buy new, if you find a model you want but is a bit out of your price range you could probably find a good condition second hand one on ebay.

Don't forget that you don't have to buy new, if you find a model you want but is a bit out of your price range you could probably find a good condition second hand one on ebay.

Problem with buying second hand kit is that you don't get a warranty with it, so if anything goes wrong in less than the first 6 to 12 months, you're stuck.

New Threads

Top Bottom