• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

DIPLOMACY - THE GAME

Grumpy Cat

I just started a new international relations class and one of the main things we are being made to do is play the game of "DIPLOMACY". I'm in a group that represents ITALY. I would like to "give the boot" to the other groups by making great moves. I'm currently reading the rules and watching YouTube to understand how it's played. Can anyone give me some good "first moves" to start the game?

I just started a new international relations class and one of the main things we are being made to do is play the game of "DIPLOMACY". I'm in a group that represents ITALY. I would like to "give the boot" to the other groups by making great moves. I'm currently reading the rules and watching YouTube to understand how it's played. Can anyone give me some good "first moves" to start the game?

ROTFLMAO. My favorite board game of all time. It's also a game to NEVER play with friends or loved ones. :eek:

Italy? Basically you're screwed. Too many geographical approaches from potentially hostile neighbors. Your most important moves aren't moves at all. But in between moves to establish non-aggression pacts with France and Britain. Otherwise one can invade your borders by land and the other by sea relatively fast. The Central Powers of Germany and Austria-Hungary will likely have their hands full, so I wouldn't expect much trouble from them. (They may seek a non-aggression pact with YOU).

Your real problem is likely to be Turkey. The "Sick Man of Europe". They're likely to go only one direction- west. Directly towards Italy. Watch very carefully how they deal with Russia to their north. And if they choose to keep their fleet in check and advance into the Balkans, that will buy you time.

Your real worry will likely be Britain. Always keep an eye on how many fleets they are accruing, and where they are going. If they intrude into the Mediterranean, that's your worst nightmare if they start convoying armies.

For Italy, your first easy supply center to go after is Tunis with your fleet (presumably in Rome). Not likely to be any immediate challenges. It's yours for the taking. Whenever you capture a supply center (circle on the map) you can add an army or fleet in the next turn.

That's what I'm hearing on YouTube. BUT, don't forget amateurs are probably playing (including me). :confused:

In a class situation, there's always the possibility of players making classic moves that parallel history from 1901 to 1918. But as a game, for me in most instances it seldom reflected historical occurrences. Made for some bizarre moves!

If I were you I'd make open pacts with Britain and France, and a secret pact with Russia.

And don't be offensive towards your northern neighbors Germany and Austria-Hungary.

It says to build an alliance with Austria Hungary. Not going to work because that would require full trust and I don't trust anyone.
So this guy is saying to have an army in Venice, army in Tyrolia and Fleet in Ionian Sea to kill off Austria. What do you think, Judge?

It says to build an alliance with Austria Hungary. Not going to work because that would require full trust and I don't trust anyone.
So this guy is saying to have an army in Venice, army in Tyrolia and Fleet in Ionian Sea to kill off Austria. What do you think, Judge?

First and only rule of this game: X-Files. Trust No One.

That's someone telling you to follow history. You can do that, or play the game as a game. I wouldn't make any such moves until you find out what your opponents are actually doing. If they're going to follow history, then everyone's moves will be quite transparent. If Austria-Hungary overtly moves against you, you have no choice but to attack. That's why you move only your fleet, but move your two armies initially northward as insurance. Hedge your bets.

The key at the opening is to watch the direction of everyone...to see whether they are really intent on breaching your borders and whether or not it reflects historical opening moves.

BTW- Are you at all familiar with the history of wars on the European continent between 1901 and 1918? Not knowing may help or hinder you...depending on how others play the game or simply recreate history. (Italy didn't declare war on Austria-Hungary until 1915, and Germany in 1916.)

For now I'd just move your fleet towards Tunis, so you can get another army once you capture Tunis as a supply center. Then perhaps place that new army acquired in Piedmont...or somewhere on your northern border. On the next move, take that fleet away from Tunis and move it to the Ionian Sea. Or you can choose to go straight to the Ionian Sea, where you can permanently bottle up Austria-Hungary's only fleet. But of course you won't gain a supply center in doing so. A trade-off...depending on how aggressive Austria-Hungary chooses to be.

Hedge your bets...just in case either Turkey or Austria-Hungary is moving against you. And hope that whoever is playing Britain and France isn't going to attack you from your most western flank.

Last edited:
So keep an army in Venice, right? So Austria can't get in Italy right away and do an army and fleet going towards Tunis?

And when you get a new army or fleet can you pick what you want? Isn't fleet best?

First and only rule of this game: X-Files. Trust No One.

That's someone telling you to follow history. You can do that, or play the game as a game. I wouldn't make any such moves until you find out what your opponents are actually doing. If they're going to follow history, then everyone's moves will be quite transparent. If Austria-Hungary overtly moves against you, you have no choice but to attack. That's why you move only your fleet, but move your two armies initially northward as insurance. Hedge your bets.

The key at the opening is to watch the direction of everyone...to see whether they are really intent on breaching your borders and whether or not it reflects historical opening moves.

BTW- Are you at all familiar with the history of wars on the European continent between 1901 and 1918? Not knowing may help or hinder you...depending on how others play the game or simply recreate history. (Italy didn't declare war on Austria-Hungary until 1915, and Germany in 1916.)

For now I'd just move your fleet towards Tunis, so you can get another army once you capture Tunis as a supply center. Then perhaps place that new army acquired in Piedmont...or somewhere on your northern border. On the next move, take that fleet away from Tunis and move it to the Ionian Sea. Or you can choose to go straight to the Ionian Sea, where you can permanently bottle up Austria-Hungary's only fleet. But of course you won't gain a supply center in doing so. A trade-off...depending on how aggressive Austria-Hungary chooses to be.

Hedge your bets...just in case either Turkey or Austria-Hungary is moving against you. And hope that whoever is playing Britain and France isn't going to attack you from your most western flank.

I'll have to get back to you after Thursday to see what our next move should be.

Not familiar with the wars, but I don't think that matters.

The important thing is to be prepared to negotiate with both your friends and your enemies between each turn. You can make permanent or temporary alliances, or stab nations in the back if it serves you. You cannot remain distanced from everyone without consequences.

If everyone is emulating historical moves of the time, it will matter a great deal. You would know that France and Britain will always be on your side. And that Russia will be a "fair weather" ally at best.

The important thing is to be prepared to negotiate with both your friends and your enemies between each turn. You can make permanent or temporary alliances, or stab nations in the back if it serves you. You cannot remain distanced from everyone without consequences.

If everyone is emulating historical moves of the time, it will matter a great deal. You would know that France and Britain will always be on your side. And that Russia will be a "fair weather" ally at best.

Turkey and Russia could ally to and sweep west. And how do you ally with someone? (The other group without the other groups knowing)

Judge, I read the rules but can you give a small instructional about the rules cause I don't understand them completely.

This game is difficult and probably most haven't even played it.

Depends on the version I suppose. I make all references to the original game of the 1960s.(First released 1959) Fairly simple in terms of the mechanics of the game. That it's the strategy and diplomacy that make it very complex.

Turkey and Russia could ally to and sweep west. And how do you ally with someone? (The other group without the other groups knowing)

In between turns you simply approach the person (nation) you want to speak to and propose a "conference". Probably best to leave the room in doing so if they agree.

Turkey and Russia ? Well, the most important thing is to determine if those players are going by history or not. Did your instructor say anything about how the game is to begin? Is history to take precedent, or do all players get to start with a clean slate ?

Historically Turkey and Russia were at war with each other a number of times.

The teacher just gave us the instructions and we picked countries. Nothing else.

You'll just have to get a feel for the other players. Maybe even confer with them in between moves even if you have no agenda with them. Just be diplomatic. Find out if they know anything of history and if they plan to move accordingly. If not, it's just a game and anything can happen. Just be mindful of any nation moving fleets or troops towards your borders. If so, it's not likely to be a goodwill gesture!

For your opening moves put your Rome fleet into the Tyrrenian Sea headed towards Tunis. With the intent to gain a supply center on the next move.

Or

If you are worried about Austria-Hungary putting a fleet into the Adriatic Sea, move your fleet to go into the Ionian Sea and keep the Austria-Hungary fleet permanently bottled up.

At the same time move your Naples army northward unless you sense Turkey coming right at you. Keep your Venice army exactly where it is, unless you want to mess with Austria-Hungary right off. If Austria-Hungary begins moving armies into the Balkans, it may be a sign that they don't intend to fight Italy any time soon. Expect Turkey to take Greece without a fight. But if they go any further west, you'll be at war with Turkey pretty fast.

One critical understanding of the game is how you convoy an army with fleets. You can move an army a great distance by convoying them over fleets, as long as you have fleets inter-connected in adjoining bodies of water. If Britain doesn't head into the Mediterranean Sea, you can go for Spain and Portugal apart from Tunis to gain supply centers and add more fleets or armies. Provided of course the French don't object! Generally Italy is easier to play if you concentrate on fleets rather than armies.

Too bad you didn't pick Turkey. Much easier to play. Italy is a nightmare...unless you have solid alliances from the outset. But as a game, I can't imagine your outcome being critical to being graded or anything. Probably just an exercise to see what you do as a serious diplomat far more than as a tactician. We had no such exercise in my International Relations class, yet the most important thing taught was the value of Quid Pro Quo. Which is bound to come up in your game!

Last edited:
Does Austria have a benefit with an alliance with Italy?

Yes...it means Austria-Hungary's entire southern flank could be secure. Allows them to venture into the Balkans and collect multiple supply centers if unopposed by Russia or Turkey. But it also means giving up any naval ambitions. To deal with Austria-Hungary as Italy, you don't want the Austrian fleet moving into the Adriatic. That would be a security concern for you. So you sell both points to them...and defy history. Hammer Austria-Hungary about the benefits of avoiding a two-front war. That their real immediate security concerns should be with Turkey- and not Italy. :cool:

Again, hedge your bets and make a secret pact with Russia. So when the time comes, Austria gets "squeezed" from two sides if the opportunity arises. Turkey too perhaps. Something to sell to Russia as well.

Italy as a land power can generally only go west or east. To the west is France, presumably an ally. The east, Turkey which is presumably an enemy. Moving north against Austria, you not only get war with them, but possibly war with Germany as well. Italy simply doesn't have a lot of viable strategic options.

Keep this in mind. Nations on your border best deserve open negotiations. Nations far away will often serve you better if you negotiate with them in secrecy.

Last edited:
Ok, we start playing the game today. I have a plan. It will be interesting to see if the others did their homework and to see if the ones with Austria - Hungry make any moves to become an alliance. Of course, since Italy isn't going to have much time in the game probably, I'd like to play a little dirty by alliancing with Austria then as they go south start invading their country. We'll see. It's going to upset me if the others on the team don't have anything to offer since I spent hours on this thing.

If you make an alliance with Austria-Hungary it will motivate them to seek other supply centers closest to its borders. In essence, the Balkans. It's no accident that in the Balkans there are four contiguous supply centers for the taking. Serbia, Romania, Bulgaria and Greece. "Ground Zero" for trouble....just like the real thing that precipitated World War One.

Once Austria-Hungary moves in that direction, it immediately puts Turkey on the defensive. At that point while Turkey might move their fleet into Greece, it won't be in any position to convoy any armies (or fleets) in your direction if all the action is on land in the Balkans. Let the two countries go head-to-head, and watch to see whether Turkey and Russia function as enemies or allies. And especially is Russia immediately penetrates Austria-Hungary's northern borders.

One thing that seems to always happen is for Germany and Austria-Hungary to ally with each other, whether the game is played along historical lines or not. It's simply geographically in their best interest as both nations have an excellent chance of having to deal with multiple fronts.

Either way, if you remain out of that conflict and work to attain supply centers not under any other power's control, it may serve you well at the outset of the game. The real "wild card" will be France. If you have to fight over control of Spain and Portugal with them, it could bog you down. But usually France's immediate problem and focus is with their border with Germany (no surprise).

Geographically Italy is for all intents and purposes untenable in terms of winning the game, unless your opponents are tactically and diplomatically incompetent. But if Austria-Hungary and Turkey bleed each other, you may end up with some potential opportunities to grab supply centers to your east. I just see Italy as being a "waiting game" in such circumstances. Don't be in a hurry to be belligerent. Let the others do that, unless they attack you first. In the meantime
it doesn't hurt to have alliances or agreements whether you intend to abide by them or not.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom