• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Distinctive facial features

celestialregale

Rejoice always.
What do you guys think of this and it's credibility? Do you have any of these features?

Is it autism? Facial features that show disorder

Autism: Wider eyes and a broader mouth: Scientists identify subtle 'distinct facial characteristics' of children with developmental disorder | Daily Mail Online

I know I have the broad forehead at least, hence the bangs!XD

21761834_128253757903305_6419706925663679630_n.jpg

Last edited:
These don't really apply to me. The features that do apply (broad forehead) are no different from my sister, who is definitely not on the spectrum.

Oh wow. I posted this in a fb group as well and someone mentioned the book Neurotribes and I quote

"One of the first observations about Aspies, when they used to gather us together in workhouses for sterilisation etc, was that we're "handsome in face"."

Now I'm more hung up on the sterilization part..seems I need to find this book!

I hope you don't take this wrong, but in my mind, this is sick, like something the Nazi's did. They keep referring to it as a disorder which means they want to identify it now by looks? This is potentially horrifying. Imagine some stupid teacher thinking she knows who has autism. That poor little boy in the picture. This is like saying, "Jews have long noses." WHAT? No slam there on Jews as I am related to some who do not have long noses, thank you very much.

It is not a disorder first of all, so whatever the facial features are are just the way it is. It is like saying, "African Americans have darker skin". And that is beautiful skin, might I add!! So we have this or that........I don't get it......why point it out? Unless to identify us and target us.

This is total garbage. I was involved in research till I realized the goal is the kill us off. I am part of a Chrom research project and all the women who have kids with my duplication were offered abortion. Scientists don't want to help us. With overpopulation, they want to kill us off, the next generation at least.

But PS, you are so cute and I love those bangs!!!

No offense taken! I already had someone else say basically the same thing in a fb group.
I wouldn't have even considered that, I just found the science behind it fascinating. Sorry for any offense posting it may have caused!

I cannot believe that there are actual geometric differences in facial features. It just has no scientific basis. They claim the differences are "statistically significant" but the sample size is so ridiculously small. Collect together another 100 or so people, of which a reasonable fraction are on the spectrum, and I bet they'll get a statistically significant result in the opposite direction.

I cannot believe that there are actual geometric differences in facial features. It just has no scientific basis. They claim the differences are "statistically significant" but the sample size is so ridiculously small. Collect together another 100 or so people, of which a reasonable fraction are on the spectrum, and I bet they'll get a statistically significant result in the opposite direction.

I read this article and Down's Syndrome came to mind. From what I understand is Asperger's is literally structural differences in the brain. In Down Syndrome, total intracranial volume is suggested to be smaller..It seems reasonable to consider the possibility of correlation between neurotype and physical attributes to me.

I agree that it does seem reasonable to explore that possibility, but so far they haven't done a very good job of proving anything. Down's Syndrome is caused by a very specific and identifiable chromosomal issue which also causes differences in bone growth in the face, but so far no one specific gene for autism has been identified so it is doubtful that there is a characteristic face shape associated with it.

No offense taken! I already had someone else say basically the same thing in a fb group.
I wouldn't have even considered that, I just found the science behind it fascinating. Sorry for any offense posting it may have caused!
It was more scary than offensive! :-O

New Threads

Top Bottom