• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dixie Fire Collateral Damage

Judge

V.I.P Member
Now considered California's second largest fire ever, the smoke this fire is creating is at times horrendous. Today the air quality index for our area was raised to "hazardous".

Hazardous air to breathe. Luckily some hours later the winds came up and blew a lot of smoke to the northeast. But hey...people live there too.

Here's a portion of Microsoft's weather site showing real-time winds and air quality or the lack thereof. Creepy at one point as if the smoke was deliberately reaching out at Reno. This image does show just how big this fire is right now.

Wondering how people in Chester or Susanville California are handling so much smoke for so long. :eek:

Fire Map.jpg

I keep hoping that area could get a big rain event. In my mind, I can’t fathom how crews even coordinate to try and manage a fire that big. Dixie Fire Nears 570K Acres; Gusty Winds A Concern This Week – Good Day Sacramento

It's pretty scary to consider this massive fire is only 31% contained at this time. Then factor in the constant wind at higher elevations, and the possibility of dry lightning.

At least we're supposed to have a big reduction in temperature next week, but I'm not sure if it will extend to the west where the fire is. We've had so many triple-digit temps this summer...record-breaking heat.

We've been dealing with many smoke days here in Alberta from fires in British Columbia... We had a one week break (I actually saw some clouds!), then smoke blew in again on Saturday afternoon... We are also getting steady rain here, for the first time in many weeks...

This is what I had to deal with last week, luckily all the fires in my local area are now out. I just wish it would rain soon.

The air is finally breathable in Colorado. Last week Denver had several days of having yhe worst air quality in the world. The smoke was so bad it even made our eyes sting and breathing difficult in the mountains at 8,000 feet.

Being from Colorado where wildfires are common, I comiserate with anyone living near a burn. I've never been evacuated myself but I have seen the devestation first hand. It's shocking how fast wildfire can eat up communites and obliterate lives.

Susanville is now under an evacuation warning. That means that the town's 15,000 inhabitants need to be ready to flee at a moment's notice. Apparently the fire is heading for them. Crews simply can't seem to get anywhere with this fire, and for now the fire is winning. IMO it may burn until the first rains come, which may not be til November. :eek::eek: Only thing to do is pray.

I am in grief and moutning for the Sierra Nevada is no longer the Range of Light, as Muir found it, explored and so beautifully described. The wonderful towns that held on over the last 100 years should have been protected but the fires are going through fuel that’s been dry for a decade +.
{May all those forests and birds rest in peace.}
I hope the people get what they can and leave while there is still time to get out.

Last edited:
I can't even read the article. It makes me want to cry just thinking about it.

Every few days, I go on this website. It shows live radar for Oregon. You can zoom out on the map and see the radar for the entire globe. I watch to see if there are any monsoons or storms originating in Asia that will be coming across the Pacific towards The Pacific Northwest.

It seems that the Jet Stream has been disrupted, and everything is funneling up into Southern Alaska, and then into Canada. We've hardly had any rain since April, and that is very unheard of.

So if you like, you can join me and watch if any storms are coming to help cool the fires.

Please pray.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/oregon/weather-radar

Last edited:
Susanville is now under an evacuation warning. That means that the town's 15,000 inhabitants need to be ready to flee at a moment's notice. Apparently the fire is heading for them. Crews simply can't seem to get anywhere with this fire, and for now the fire is winning. IMO it may burn until the first rains come, which may not be til November. :eek::eek: Only thing to do is pray.

Yeah. Seems inevitable with the prevailing winds that the fire will destroy the entire town given how close the fire is getting to the outer city limits. Based on this map it may be only six miles from the town's center.

Dixie Fire.jpg

In the Metropolitan Reno/Tahoe area I can't even tell visibly what our weather actually is in this smoke-filled sky.

Not looking good for our friends across the border:

Dixie Fire - Update for August 16, 2021 | Welcome to CAL FIRE

Last edited:
Here in southern Idaho, our main problem is the smoke from the Dixie Fire. Most of the Idaho fires are in the north part of the state. I am getting used to seeing a orange sun with watery eyes. We try to stay inside as much as we can. Everything is tender dry and we keep getting thunder storms with no rain.

Here in southern Idaho, our main problem is the smoke from the Dixie Fire. Most of the Idaho fires are in the north part of the state. I am getting used to seeing a orange sun with watery eyes. We try to stay inside as much as we can. Everything is tender dry and we keep getting thunder storms with no rain.

If anyone is wondering what the real scope of this all is, just take a look at the most recent air quality map for the entire western half of the nation even beyond its borders:

Smoke.jpg

When a wildfire threatens my land/cabin, I am seriously considering staying and letting the fire burn me to death. It's either that or being a permanent refugee in a decrepit motorhome, endlessly persecuted by police and kicked out of town after town. Maybe I'll get on social media and livestream it. The good news is that the valley my land is in is grassland, and the type of grassland where the grass lays flat on the ground instead of standing on end when dry like in Sacramento. I plan to spread concrete "clinker" around my cabin to create a firebreak. Failing that, it's death before dishonor.

When a wildfire threatens my land/cabin, I am seriously considering staying and letting the fire burn me to death. It's either that or being a permanent refugee in a decrepit motorhome, endlessly persecuted by police and kicked out of town after town. Maybe I'll get on social media and livestream it. The good news is that the valley my land is in is grassland, and the type of grassland where the grass lays flat on the ground instead of standing on end when dry like in Sacramento. I plan to spread concrete "clinker" around my cabin to create a firebreak. Failing that, it's death before dishonor.

Just buy insurance to replace your home if it burns. And get the heck out of Dodge if fire is heading your way.

To everyone in harms way, please stay safe. I can't imagine what it would be like to breath that contaminated air for weeks on end.

My old home town of Salt Lake City is having its own problems right now, too. One of the canyons is on fire - the canyon that leads from SLC to Park City. My cousins in Heber Valley are miserable and my old friend in Sandy, Utah is nervous as a cat on a hot tin roof. Everyone is packed and ready to flee if they have to.

Just stepped outside for a few seconds. Had to rush back inside...coughing. AQI: 194 :eek:

That looks like Houston’s daily pollution pre covid days.

Sorry it’s happening to you, hope it rains soon.

Thanks. Though rain here in the High Desert is a tricky proposition. Rainfall is more than welcome, but thunderstorms and dry lightning in particular can be a disaster with it being so dry for so long.

When we do have electrical storms, it can be calming with pronounced rainfall. Without it, it can be nerve-wracking at times hoping you don't witness any fires started by Mother Nature. :eek:

A surge of rain has arrived in western MT today. The smoke is gone for now. It’s 65° outside & sprinkling lightly. Incredibly grateful for this.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom