• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anyone here play a musical instrument? Does anyone want to learn to play one?

Douglas_MacNeill

That's two questions, to be sure. Having said that, here's my answer to get things started:

I don't play any musical instrument right now (since voice doesn't count as an instrument).
My crazy little obsession would be to try to learn to play the drum set. If I'm no good at it,
fine; at least I gave it a try. The danger starts if and when I do show some talent on the drums.

Re: Does anyone here play a musical instrument? Does anyone want to learn to play on

I play Classical Guitar. I played Acoustic guitar as a teen and switch to Classical Guitar later in my adult life.

Re: Does anyone here play a musical instrument? Does anyone want to learn to play on

I tend to disagree that the voice is not an instrument. It can take years to master. And I'm even stating that the "weirder" (for lack of a better word) vocal techniques are fine.. and by that I'm pointing at the metal genre in general with shrieks, grunts and screams. Cause even that can be done wrong (and mess up your throat) and requires take practice...

That being said; do I play instruments? Define play. If you'd give me sheetmusic I could not handle it on a piano or a guitar, but I'm not stating I do not know how a guitar works, nor how a piano works (or any synthesizer for that matter). So I do play electric guitar (because I don't have a acoustic, and it stil beats noise during night) and I work my way around with synthesizers (both hardware and software), but probably in my own way.

For anyone interested here's a timeline/story about how my experience and motivation of instruments came to be (but it has free samples/soundbytes)

My musical interest started when I was 16 or 17 or so, and I wanted to start a band... with no instruments and all, but I knew some guys and I was like "well, I can try to do vocals... doing some kind of death metal thing can't be THAT hard". That bandformation didn't go that well, but within a few months that guy phoned me telling me he found guys to form a band (the guy I knew before did drums), and they wanted a vocalist, so I dropped by a few times. Tried out some stuff and got into that game a bit. That went well enough to be included in the group and we did some live shows in the area.

At that time I also started to gain some interest in electronics, synthesizers, sampling, that entire deal, so I learned that by downloading a few programs, trying out a lot and getting a feel for it. Then I included such things with the band I was with... mostly intro's and weird loops in between songs for a transition.

After a while I left the band and started my own band (thinking I had enough experience as a vocalist to look for new people myself), that went fairly ok. It was a fair share different from my previous thing, cause I included way more electronics and beats, and was more of a studio concept actually. But yeah, wanting to include a lot of samples and synthesizers in your music does require someone who knows it. And I did have a lot of time, so I could learn a lot back then. So back then I did all the electronics programming, vocals and I started contributing to songwriting by just trying random stuff out @ rehearsals without having a guitar at home or anything... I just tried what I thought sounded good. Did one show (due to a variety of reasons) and I even had to train another person to handle synthesizers/sampling live because I felt weird to just stand behind a desk of sorts. I mean, it works for Kraftwerk, me.. not so much.

[MP3]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34585611/BarrelEyeContact.mp3[/MP3]
Evilution - BarrelEyeContact
Samples and vocals by me

That disbanded in 2005 (when I was 23), found new people at once, and did a similar thing like I did before, just a tad more technical, and just as well as before I did a bit of working on guitarriffs, cause I picked up an electric guitar back then, so did some at home.

[MP3]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34585611/legacydemo2005.mp3[/MP3]
[MP3]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34585611/The%20legacy%20-%20The%20inquisition.mp3[/MP3]
I'm not playing guitar on both, however, a decent share came from me during writing. Quite clunky though, as it's only a rehearsal room recording. We did those a lot, so I could work on lyrics and the electronics department at home

That band was a short adventure, and that kinda concluded my ventures with other people.

In a last effort; I tried out in another band back in 2007 as they needed a drummer and a keyboardplayer... so I offered to make some really badass beats instead of drums to make their sound more unique. Then.. they found a horrible drummer, and I left.

And after that, I just end up doing random bits here and there. Sometimes I fire up my programs and see if I can write something noteworthy for a metal-project later on somewhere. Also... I remember pulling all nighters with a friend at his place and while he was making breakfast for a quick 10 minutes I'd fire up some sequencers and create these short 1 minute loops or intermezzo's in a few minutes.

Recently I'm mostly working on other non-music stuff, but music should be there sometime for a project I'm working on (the one in my signature; which is where you can also find a try-out track I did for it half a year ago or so)
[MP3]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34585611/Final.mp3[/MP3]

What do I want to learn? Well, I'm still building my own theremin, so I should learn to master that when it's done. But yeah, that project is going really slow and just doing that whenever I feel I wanna do something with it.

Besides that I'm thinking about the violin... friend of mine still wants to sell his e-violin off for cheap, so I might look into that.

In general I think I can say that I can at least get basic understanding of the "physics" of an instrument... mastering it is a different deal, but having a phsyical feel and understanding of an instrument helps a lot to get better at it and enjoy playing it.

Some people know already that I play guitar and to be honest I think I suck at it.
In school I was singing in a choir a few times and teacher wanted me to go on tours, because according to him I had a good voice but my parents kept telling me at that time that I didn't have a voice.
I also wanted to go to musical school and to learn how to play piano but again, my parents didn't let me because they said I wouldn't be able to stay focused at school.
But...they didn't mind me to learn a few chords on guitar, which was handing on a wall doing nothing but I wasn't interested.
At 15 I started listening to Nirvana (who didn't :) ) and decided that I did wanted to learn. Long story short - parents suddenly changed their minds about my music abilities - got me a music teacher - started writing songs - organized a band - got respect from local bands because my technique was not bad at the time - performed a few times - recorded - my mental state became more unstable - didn't see the future - wanted to go to college and study music - composed a few classical compositions - couldn't go to college because of some stupid thing that I couldn't fix at that time - band fell apart
Continued writing songs but didn't practice as much anymore. Now it seems that I play as well as I played a few months after I took guitar in my hands for the 1st time.

So now, just to prove to myself that I have what it takes, including reading, writing and recording music,I want o start over. To be honest I don't know if I ever perform again, but it's still hard for me to let it go.

Last edited:

I've been playing the guitar for eight years, and got into the piano last year. Too bad my creative partner, David, is far more interested in Rebecca Black than actually teaching me! :O

You say Justin Bieber- I say Justin Ferstenfield!
You say Rebecca Black- I say Jack Black!
You say LMFAO- I say LED ZEPPELIN!
You say Adam Lambert- I say Freddie Mercury!!!!
You say techno- I scream ROOOOOOOOOOOOOCK!

Last edited:

I've been playing electric guitar for three years. Might be starting on some piano next year, and I've been considering singing lessons too. I'd also love to learn how to play the drums, and then really get into compsing my own music, for real.

New Threads

Top Bottom