• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does incense help with autism ?

Gary DuBois

I love incense and incense has been a part of my life since i was a kid maybe since i was born.

My question is will incense help me with my mild autism to feel relaxed and calm.

Can incense help my life in a healthy way.

It depends on how autism presents in you. I have a very sensitive nose and if you light up an incense stick near me I'll get up and leave. It's strange what smells affect me though, I'm used to hunting and gutting my own food and those smells don't bother me at all, but if a woman's wearing too much perfume of if a young bloke has sprayed half a can of Lynx over himself it makes me feel ill. It's the same for me if a large department store has all the ladies cosmetics on the ground floor next to the front of the store, or if some hippy shop has an oil burner going, I have to hold my breath and walk quickly to get past the stench of those places.

Recently,Recently, I walked into a convenience store/gas station (7-11), and on opening the door was hit by some intense smell that literally made me stagger as if from a physical blow. I have no idea what it was except maybe some industrial cleaner, but I had to leave quick. I don't know how the other customers and the cashiers could stay in there.

But I find some incense, like Lavender and white sage, to be calming

I love the authentic Indian sandalwoods, nag champas and the like. I can't stand the cheap imitations with the fake fragrances. Those fragrances are, actually toxic, they are endocrine disruptions and carcinogenic, so it's no wonder, many of us autists can't stand them.

There are smudges that have antianxiety properties.

One should use caution if burning it around children, as they are very sensitive to smudge smoke.

These are a few of your options. :

White Sage
Culinary Sage
Sweetgrass
Cedar
Bay Leaf
Mullein
Mugwort
Copal

Mugwort or Copal may leave the people in the room feeling mildly intoxicated. They are very heavy smudges, medicine for the deepest soul injuries. They should not be burned around children.

I think in a general sense whatever relaxes you is good for your mental and physical health. But I am completely ignorant of anything specific to incense such as aroma therapy, etc. I would however be wary of the long term or even short term effect of chemicals on the lungs.

Anything that lights up is a hit or miss proposition with my nose. Except perhaps pot.

If it's in the least bit acrid, then no I won't likely appreciate it. With cigarette smoke, I can't tolerate it at all. Too many caustic chemicals. And cheap womens' perfumes...gross.

Last edited:
It's strange what smells affect me though, I'm used to hunting and gutting my own food and those smells don't bother me at all, but if a woman's wearing too much perfume of if a young bloke has sprayed half a can of Lynx over himself it makes me feel ill.
Same, parfumes are the worst.

I like the smell of incense. I wouldn't overdo on smells though, it can lead to sensory overload. My dad who is also autistic can't stand incense and says he suffocates from the smoke and either has to leave where the smoke is or opens all windows wide. So it's a matter of personal preference.

New Threads

Top Bottom