• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Eating Salmon (vegan trigger warning)

WittyAspie

V.I.P Member
The pouch rips, the stench drifts
It is salmon I have opened
Little pink slivers of fish flesh
Ready to experience my gullet

A mound upon my fork
Approaching my mouth carefully
A bump, a slip
It falls onto my khakis

With my fingers I grip
This pile of pink fish flesh
Then shove it in my mouth
And gulp it down my neck

Oh what I wouldn’t give
For another pouch of heaven
Wait, look, there it is
And another rip

Ugggh! I have been trying to eat fish cuz it’s healthy, but omg, I got some whole fish recently, and had to gut and cut the head off. I have never deepen this, nor cooked a fish before (pan fried). I hated it. I have two more in the freezer. Not worth it. I did not like the taste either. I also bought a huge box of dried anchovies from the Asian market. You boil them to make soup stock. I don’t know if I can stomach it. All those little metallic faces with piercing black eyes all staring at me! I should just eat canned tuna, but it has gotten so expensive. Sardines....once in a while are doable. At least the faces are cut off before they are stuffed into the cans.

I go to the market and look at all those frozen fish: gasping, screaming, contorted in struggled death poses on ice, or packaged in Saran wrap, and always nearly cry. Every time. Fish are sentient beings with intelligence and feelings. I know from raising fancy goldfish over a long time. They recognize people, and they can learn ticks. They are very special creatures, and we are forcing them to go extinct, fishing them to extinction, destroying their habitats, etc.

I do like your poem though.

Last edited:
Ugggh! I have been trying to eat fish cuz it’s healthy, but omg, I got some whole fish recently, and had to gut and cut the head off. I have never deepen this, nor cooked a fish before (pan fried). I hated it. I have two more in the freezer. Not worth it. I did not like the taste either. I also bought a huge box of dried anchovies from the Asian market. You boil them to make soup stock. I don’t know if I can stomach it. All those little metallic faces with piercing black eyes all staring at me! I should just eat canned tuna, but it has gotten so expensive. Sardines....once in a while are doable. At least the faces are cut off before they are stuffed into the cans.

I go to the market and look at all those frozen fish: gasping, screaming, contorted in struggled death poses on ice, or packaged in Saran wrap, and always nearly cry. Every time. Fish are sentient beings with intelligence and feelings. I know from raising fancy goldfish over a long time. They recognize people, and they can learn ticks. They are very special creatures, and we are forcing them to go extinct, fishing them to extinction, destroying their habitats, etc.

I think I've read that you grocery shop at an Asian market. Asian food stores tend to package whole fish for sale rather than cleaned fish fillets which are sold in most "American" food stores. Try buying fillets so you don't have to clean them or look at the heads and eyes. I'm surprised your store is selling frozen uncleaned fish as I think that practice violates USDA and FDA rules because of the risk of salmonella, e-coli, and other diseases. The faster the guts are removed from the fish, then the safer the fish is to eat. Also, your Asian store fishmonger may be willing to clean whole fresh fish for you if you ask them.

Try oven roasting, grilling, or poaching the fillets in liquid instead of frying them. You can also cook them in the oven tightly wrapped in parchment paper. Add some oil or butter and some vegetables cut into small enough sizes so that the veggies cook in the same time as the fish. Talapia is a good kind of fish to start with because it has a very mild taste. You could also try making patties from canned tuna or salmon, coat them with Panko or dry bread crumbs, and saute them in a little oil or butter in a preheated heavy skillet.

Do you like shrimp? They are almost invariably sold with the heads removed, and you can get them already de-veined and shelled so all you have to do is thaw them and drop them into boiling, seasoned water for a few minutes till they turn pink and float to the top, or make something like shrimp scampi in a skillet.

Fish is so good for us, especially the "oily" fish like mackerel, herring, sardines and cod. I try to serve fish at least once a week for its health benefits and use sustainable fish, such as farm raised talapia or catfish. I do prefer ocean caught salmon to farm raised salmon because I think it tastes better. And I eat sardines for lunch pretty often which makes my husband almost gag. LOL.

My cardiologist told me that I should be eating fish twice a week. I like fish, but that is a bit to much. We eat fish more like 2 or 3 times a month. So I take fish pills twice a day. That keeps my wife and the doctor happy.

I think I've read that you grocery shop at an Asian market. Asian food stores tend to package whole fish for sale rather than cleaned fish fillets which are sold in most "American" food stores. Try buying fillets so you don't have to clean them or look at the heads and eyes. I'm surprised your store is selling frozen uncleaned fish as I think that practice violates USDA and FDA rules because of the risk of salmonella, e-coli, and other diseases. The faster the guts are removed from the fish, then the safer the fish is to eat. Also, your Asian store fishmonger may be willing to clean whole fresh fish for you if you ask them.

Try oven roasting, grilling, or poaching the fillets in liquid instead of frying them. You can also cook them in the oven tightly wrapped in parchment paper. Add some oil or butter and some vegetables cut into small enough sizes so that the veggies cook in the same time as the fish. Talapia is a good kind of fish to start with because it has a very mild taste. You could also try making patties from canned tuna or salmon, coat them with Panko or dry bread crumbs, and saute them in a little oil or butter in a preheated heavy skillet.

Do you like shrimp? They are almost invariably sold with the heads removed, and you can get them already de-veined and shelled so all you have to do is thaw them and drop them into boiling, seasoned water for a few minutes till they turn pink and float to the top, or make something like shrimp scampi in a skillet.

Fish is so good for us, especially the "oily" fish like mackerel, herring, sardines and cod. I try to serve fish at least once a week for its health benefits and use sustainable fish, such as farm raised talapia or catfish. I do prefer ocean caught salmon to farm raised salmon because I think it tastes better. And I eat sardines for lunch pretty often which makes my husband almost gag. LOL.

Mary, I so wish I had you for a neighbor, and could take cooking lessons from you. I have never grilled, don’t have a grill (or the proverbial hubby to do that job), and never use the oven. As for the fish, I believe this is common - As I see it everywhere...fresh fish are flown in that very day and put on ice or wrapped in Saran on styrofoam trays. They are fresh and eyes not cloudy. Even Costco has fish this way. It’s also more affordable to purchase in Asian markets.

I have deveined and shelled shrimp. No problem. But I am not that crazy about them to justify buying them.

Might the health benefits of the good stuff in fish be realized in another form? Anyone feel especially knowledgeable on the subject? Do options exist other than buying, preparing, and eating fish? Cool pome WittyAspie.

when I was a vegetarian I was very healthy ,the thing about eating meat is ,we need to eat vegetables so we can digest it !as it denudes the body of minerals if we eat it without vegetables .
if you want to move at speed you need animal protein or a huge !!!!!amount of vegetable protein .
in Genesis the Bible says eat of the green herb obviously because herbs are very potent -salmon for instance must eat a lot of seaweed and sea vegetables.

when I was a vegetarian I was very healthy ,the thing about eating meat is ,we need to eat vegetables so we can digest it !as it denudes the body of minerals if we eat it without vegetables .
if you want to move at speed you need animal protein or a huge !!!!!amount of vegetable protein .
in Genesis the Bible says eat of the green herb obviously because herbs are very potent -salmon for instance must eat a lot of seaweed and sea vegetables.

Arctic people do not eat vegetables. I think we all evolve according to where we live. But I get what you mean. I eat vegetables, and tons of seaweed too. Not all vegetarians are healthy either. Some eat a lot of junk and crap. Others have massive iron deficiencies. I think if we stay away from processed foods, empty calories, everything white flour, sugar, and watch our fats, we will all do much better. The key is eating the most micronutrient foods available, and ignoring the rest.

Mary, I so wish I had you for a neighbor, and could take cooking lessons from you. I have never grilled, don’t have a grill (or the proverbial hubby to do that job), and never use the oven. As for the fish, I believe this is common - As I see it everywhere...fresh fish are flown in that very day and put on ice or wrapped in Saran on styrofoam trays. They are fresh and eyes not cloudy. Even Costco has fish this way. It’s also more affordable to purchase in Asian markets.

I have deveined and shelled shrimp. No problem. But I am not that crazy about them to justify buying them.

I live less than 200 miles from the Gulf of Mexico so whole fresh fish is readily available but is gutted and often scaled before sold in stores. If the scales have not been removed, the store fishmonger should gladly do that for you for free and fillet it to remove the bones if you wish.

I sometimes take a big cooler of ice and drive down to the docks on the coast when the fishing boats come in early in the morning and buy whole red fish, snapper, Grouper, or whatever looks good. If I buy them straight off the boat then I gut and clean them ASAP and put them on ice. What concerned me about your earlier post was the prospect of your buying un-gutted fish which is not a good thing unless it is very fresh! I'm wary of Asian sourced fish because I don't know where it was caught or prepared or if it is properly labeled. A lot of counterfeit "catfish' has been smuggled into the US that is not catfish, was caught from filthy waters in Asia, and has been dubiously processed. There has been a lot of litigation over that issue here in the South where domestic catfish is farm raised and clean and where Asian sellers have sold falsely labeled the fish. Just be careful what you buy.

I'd love having you as my neighbor! I love to cook and share it with others. I always bring food to class for my students. Sometimes I think they show up just for the food rather than the history, math, literature, and other topics I teach for the GED program. (Just kidding, of course.)

Trust me, you don't need a husband or oven to cook or grill fish or really anything else! Get a cast iron, stove top grill pan with ridges on it and grill anything you want on top of the stove and get those pretty grill marks. If a recipe calls for doing something in the oven, you can usually use a Dutch oven (heavy, high sided cast iron pot with a heavy lid) on top of the stove to do the same thing as the oven. It's called a Dutch "oven" because it acts like an oven but on a smaller scale. My favorite cooking vessel is a heavy cast iron skillet for almost everything.

New Threads

Top Bottom