• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Emotional awakenings through music, and the Magic Sword

Rocco

Wandering Trainwreck
V.I.P Member
There are two songs in my life that caused an emotional awakening or extraordinary experiences. The first for me was Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen. The first time I heard it, as a kid, I had a profound reaction. I saw a flood of images in my head and a tidal wave of emotions. It was like viewing a cartoon or some wild movie in my mind.
The second song to trigger such a reaction was “In The Face Of Evil” by Magic Sword. I heard it first in late 2023. This most recent awakening was similar to Bohemian Rhapsody in that I experienced a flood of emotions and visual images.

Magic Sword is 99% instrumental in all of their music. Only a few songs across four albums have anything spoken. When I got more into their sound I discovered that each of their four physical albums comes with a special comic book (a different one for each record), intended to be read while listening to the companion album. They also recently released a digital only album that has no comic (Badlands).
Their music is designed as though it represents a quest for a hero, through hardships and adversity. Many songs induce emotional responses and stimulate the imagination. Each album takes the listener on a journey and gives feelings of excitement, triumph, adventure, and a song here and there might even give a little anxiety (I think the few songs there are that do this, are intended this way, similar to how a movie score would do in a tense scene. I sometimes skip these more anxious songs to enjoy a more enlightening experience)

My favorite albums are : Volume 1, Awakening, and Badlands

In the face of evil

In the pics left to right are;
Top row: Volume 1 (white, second pressing), Endless, Awakening, Legend (the next are not magic sword… Monsters by The Midnight)
Bottom row: volume 1 (original first pressing) and the Omnibis collection with all 4 albums and the complete 40 page graphic novel. The next albums are not magic sword in photo Gunship self titled album, Turbo Kid soundtrack by Le Matos, and the No Tomorrow single by Le Matos
IMG_1747.jpeg
IMG_1748.jpeg
IMG_1749.jpeg

Last edited:
Indeed, I have many similar experiences with many different music performances, including Queen, ELP, Alan parsons project - especially the Edgar Allan Poe album.

But the most profound occurred many years ago. I witnessed a symphony concert with a violin concerto staring Nadja Salerno-Sonnenberg. I do not remember the particular music piece performed, but I will never forget the effect of that performance. The piece started out with a calm, soothing and subtleness that slowly, but progressively grew into wild passion. As the music grew in intensity, Nadja’s movements grew wilder and wilder in obvious effort to make every note; her face drawn in extreme, tense determination. Her efforts to move her fingers and bow in exact step and time to make each note started to seem impossible, but it just kept getting more and more intense. I kept thinking the complexity and energy can’t get any more, but it just kept growing. It grew and grew until it became completely surreal; dream-like. I felt nervous in my seat and looked around trying to ensure reality… but the music just kept intensifying. Then I was struck – shuddering at the shocking realization that Nadja was no longer playing her violin; she was no longer playing the music. Instead the music was playing her. As if Nadja was caught in the works of a giant iron machine forcing her through every impossible movement, every impossible note with impossibly perfect timing. Every note was perfect because the music was playing itself and Nadja was just caught in the unyielding works of the music. That experience took place several decades ago, but that memory still affects me. I have never witnessed any performance to match. It is now a permanent part of me.

Last edited:
There is always something in music that drives each of us. It's definitely is a magical experience when you find something that drives your imagination and you soul on a journey.

I've found that, for me, more spiritual stuff, like Wardruna, drives that in me. It's not about understanding the words as much as the expression of the voices and the music. Emotional resonance is a powerful thing, when it connects with you. It creates this understanding that transcends language barriers and the differences that make us all what we are.

Music is a powerful artform in the right hands.

Thank you for the great post, Rocco. It's nice to read about people's passions even if I don't share those specific interests. I did add Magic Sword to my streaming favorites so I can check them out later.

New Threads

Top Bottom