• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Feeling Hopeless

Dillon

So I recently got a job as a substitute teacher for a school district and this is something I should be excited about but unfortunately I am not given that this is a part time job and considered as a “when needed” schedule so I am luck if I get to work 2 days a week for what $12 an hour. I got this job without an interview as many substitute teaching positions don’t go through an interview portion at all.

This makes me think how I have graduated over a year ago in 2023 with a masters degree and yet the only jobs I can get are part time jobs where I’m using my skills on a high school level or being considered “under-employed”. I keep continuing on this frequent cycle of not being able to get a full time job because I don’t have experience and I just naturally suck at interviewing no matter how much I try. I had a interview last week for an environmental organization and just hearing the phrase “we decided to go with other candidates” just makes my blood boil. I’ve applied to 250-300 job had 8 interviews and no offers. I haven’t had a job in 3 months now and my finances are stretching thin (I am living off of a $6000 loan from my University). I don’t have any connections nor have a network that would make it easier to get a full time job that it makes it hard to understand how does someone actually get a job in the first place. This is making me realize am I even good at anything? I even tried to get involved in a few volunteer opportunities just to build my experience up but lately I get ghosted and blown off.

Also I’ve been seeing my therapist who I find hasn’t been helpful. I thought I was making a connection with another neurodivergent but instead it’s a individual who seems to know all about autism and how people with autism act. My therapist implied that based on the one one one conversation and how i interact I don’t show any signs of having autism…umm how are autistic people suppose to act then?? I’ve gotten nothing but gaslighting insinuating things have been my fault as to why I can’t get a job. I guess my therapist doesn’t understand that 85% of autistics are unemployed due to the the lack of understanding and resources to help put those obtain employment.

I truly do feel hopeless and I don’t know what to do anymore. No matter how much I put my best foot forward it’s just not good enough for anyone. To me it feels like grade school where I’ve never fit in with no one and that’s how it feels with applying and interviewing for a job I don’t fit in anywhere. I don’t even know how much longer I can live Independently at my own apartment with no job that I may more than likely have to move back in with my Mom and that’s just embarrassing to say the least for someone in their late 20s

Sorry to hear that you are still having trouble finding a job. You are in my prayers about this and also about the health issues you previously discussed on the forum. I have not been able to find another job yet either. It has been about a year since I last had a job. The last one I had only paid like $8 per hour.

Sorry to hear that you are still having trouble finding a job. You are in my prayers about this and also about the health issues you previously discussed on the forum. I have not been able to find another job yet either. It has been about a year since I last had a job. The last one I had only paid like $8 per hour.
It’s not so much of finding a job but it’s making myself standout in a interview that I truly am awful at. I’m tired of some people keep telling me “oh just keep applying” or “it’s the terrible job market”.
The reality is that as an ASD individual I will always have a much tougher time because I have social problems despite what the job market is.

In regards to my health issues I found out earlier this week or it was reaffirmed that I have what is known as “common variable immune deficiency” which is as immune disorder the doesn’t allow my body produce enough antibodies and makes me more prone to lung infections. I used to be sick a lot as a child with frequent bronchitis and a few bouts of bronchitis and a couple staph infections. I don’t get sick as much now but it’s something that doesn’t go away on its own.

I won't mince it.

It's a tough job market.

I have personally observed there's a bimodal distribution here. Emphasis on personally. I say this as someone who employs other people.

First peak is - you have a skillset nobody can replace. This is a rare category to fall in, but it favors autistics nonetheless - think like Albert Einstein.

Second peak is - you show up everyday, at the precise time, leave at the precise time, and do as you're told. Believe it or not, this is the golden path to earning well over $20/hr USD. The consistency matters. The problem is convincing the employer that you are that person.

There are several Amazon warehouse workers on this forum. Have you considered that?

Also, when it comes to the USA, government jobs/pay prove why skepticism thereof exists that simply doesn't exist in any other Westen nation.

One of my biggest rebellions against my parents, growing up, was that they made me think that I was no good for anything except a government job.

Government jobs have their place - but tend to be massively underpaid and, IMO, over-emphasize NT social traits.

@Outdated , IMO, has excellent advice about selling yourself to small businesses - and trust me, they'd pay for somone who simply shows up on time, does a semi-flexible acitvity, and leaves on time.

I won't mince it.

It's a tough job market.

I have personally observed there's a bimodal distribution here. Emphasis on personally. I say this as someone who employs other people.

First peak is - you have a skillset nobody can replace. This is a rare category to fall in, but it favors autistics nonetheless - think like Albert Einstein.

Second peak is - you show up everyday, at the precise time, leave at the precise time, and do as you're told. Believe it or not, this is the golden path to earning well over $20/hr USD. The consistency matters. The problem is convincing the employer that you are that person.

There are several Amazon warehouse workers on this forum. Have you considered that?
I tried applying to Amazon recently due to the fact I just need some kind of stable job at this point but I was even turned down by the in my area.
I may have to do like retail or grocery and see what I can do from there.

In that case, I'd recommend looking up @Outdated 's posts as to how he got his apprenticeship.

Small businesses are the beating heart of America, as much as the media and advertising industry make you want ot believe otherwise. But it does require stepping out of your comfort zone.

Subbing is stepping stone to a teaching position if your interested. I guess you know already you can sub in more then one school district.

New Threads

Top Bottom