• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Filming in dangerous locations and playing it safe

Aspie_With_Attitude

V.I.P Member

One places that can be dangerous especially in Australia are ocean surf beaches. Me being alone, I had a success filming myself exploring razor sharp rocks, big waves crashing on the shore and in general, just whatever you'll see in this video.

One places that can be dangerous especially in Australia are ocean surf beaches.
That's a message we have trouble getting to tourists and new migrants. I was just looking at some statistics, we average 279 drownings a year.

It's different for those of us that grew up here, although there's also a divide amongst us there between different neighbouhoods and cultures. If people grew up without doing much swimming then they're unlikely to think it very important to teach to their kids either.

It was different for my family, my Mum's family were many generations living on the Murray River, then when she was a kid they moved to a beach side suburb. All of us were taught to swim literally before we had learnt to walk, chuck the baby in the river and watch him go.

As we got old enough to start swimming properly we were taught all the dangers to watch out for. It started from such a young age that it's just ingrained in us, we notice and avoid all these things without even realising that we're doing so, it's just habit. We can see the different currents and we know to search for obstacles under the water before jumping or diving.

As a teenager we were in to body surfing. If boogie boards had been invented then we would have all had them but you can also ride waves without a board. We were the laziest surfers in the world though and we deliberately looked for rip currents and used them to take us out to sea for the next wave instead of swimming all that way. Inexperienced swimmers see people like us out there having fun and they think they can do the same.

New Threads

Top Bottom