• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Finding a safe place to live/Are there cohousing options?

lm8

I don't feel comfortable where I'm living since my parents died. Trying to maintain the place is a lot of work. It's an older building. It keeps having water leaks. I keep ending up having to spend a fortune in remediation and dealing with water damages. There's really no support or community there either. I've been reading about co-housing and some areas that try to set up neurodiverse housing options. Would love to hear about other options for where to live that may be friendlier and safer for people with autism. Any recommendations for how to find a safe place to live?

Probably the first thing I would do is look for nicer or newer neighborhoods, then look for either a newer condo or apartment, then depending upon the square footage, number of bedrooms, etc. decide if getting a roommate to share the rent/mortgage would be advantageous. Walking access to shopping, bus routes, etc. are another consideration.

Sometimes the total living expenses far exceed the rent in those "cheap housing" areas. Sometimes paying more in rent, but less in utilities (more efficient builds), less and better maintenance, better neighborhoods, grounds keeping, snow removal, etc. Sometimes it all comes out to be essentially the same.

It's sort like buying a cheap car that is an expensive headache, when you could have simply gotten a more expensive car for the same amount of total money.

New Threads

Top Bottom