• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Fire smoke

DaisyRose

V.I.P Member
Is anyone getting affected by the fire today? I’ve noticed the smoke is making my allergies run crazy. I bend over and my nose is dripping. I also noticed I feel tired than normal. It was it off day for me.

My daughter and I both have sensitive lungs. The air has been a little chewy lately. Like trying to breathe helium.

Stay indoors and run a.c. if you can. I've found that running the shower with cold water and putting a big box fan in the bathroom doorway seems to freshen the air.

At one time, I had an ionic air purifier. It was lovely to keep the air cool and breathable.

Some people across the ravine like to burn their trash outside. On those days, I have to wear an N95 mask and keep my inhaler handy.

I avoid exercise if I can't see certain distant features. The orange sunshine also warns me. However, I'm not getting any serious health effects. I'm lucky to have a backyard berry patch that is finally producing all I care to eat these days.

It's an inevitable problem every summer. Frequently involving forest fires in California that blow from west to east into Nevada. One happening right now in the Quincy area, though the smoke doesn't seem to be getting here just yet.

When such fires and smoke are really bad, it inevitably intrudes indoors. :(

Today could be precarious locally given a 50% chance of thundershowers. Dry lightning strikes can cause catastrophic fires given so much dry brush here. Hoping the rain comes first, then the lightning.

Last edited:
You might look into the do-it-yourself box fan filter. If you research on line there are multiple options and some companies make kits. Its basically a standing square box fan with different amounts of air filters attached.

Not sure how well it works but my wife and daughter who are more sensitive to smell felt it did. I think we used it during a period of wildfires in our area.

filter.jpg

If it's humid, it's difficult to breathe, l am sitting in humidity, and it's 92 degrees, but it feels like a 100.

You have my sympathies, it's not pleasant. We managed to get a bunch of air purifiers pretty cheap and have them stationed around the house. Normally the reading is something like 20 (ppm???), but when they do a hazard reduction burn nearby it can go up past 200 and they automatically power up to sound like aircraft taking off. Back in the 2019/20 fires, hearing those things ramp up was always a sign to open the fires app to see what was going on and tell the kids to get ready to leave. We were lucky the local park didn't go up in the end, but I still remember watching the ash falling outside and that smell of eucalyptus smoke in the air. When we went to the beach the sea and waterline were black with ash from further up the coast.

New Threads

Top Bottom