• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Forensic question about surface-level parallels between Autism Spectrum Disorder and Antisocial Personality Disorder

Oz67

I am sorry that I asked, I was too shy to ask this question as it may trigger and offend some people with ASD, my motivation is to help both autistic people and the general public understand each other in a healthy way.

Is there a reason why some people posit surface-level parallels between Autism Spectrum Disorder and Antisocial Personality Disorder, like those with ASD unintentionally contravening rules, while those with ASPD do so with mens rea?

It is also a forensic science question, my bad

I am not saying they are the same, it is just how the laymen view them and based on media issues and ignorance.

I am not saying they are the same, it is just how the laymen view them and based on media issues and ignorance.

I agree. Reminiscent of those "laymen" who easily confuse narcissism with autism. Or those who claim we nebulously lack empathy.

I may be oversimplifying your question, but I'm inclined to think that the answer to your question is within the realm of human error and little else. Which can lead to a misunderstanding that we are somehow neurologically less than we actually are.

Last edited:
I agree. Reminiscent of those "laymen" who easily confuse narcissism with autism.

I may be oversimplifying your question, but I'm inclined to think that the answer to your question is within the realm of human error and little else. Which can lead to a misunderstanding that we are somehow neurologically less than we actually are.

I agree ;)

My best guess is that it's because they can be easy to confuse for those not familiar with them because a lot of conditions have similarities.

Both psychopathy are ASD are related to empathy (one cognitive and one emotional). Both people with ASD and psychopathy do a lot of masking to cover traits. Masking itself creates a sense of manipulation of others and a lack of identity, which is a hallmark of psychopathy.

Both have excetutive function problems and ADHD as a comorbid condition for both.

Alexithymia results in behavior and cognitive processess that resemble pyschopathy.

I read a lot about pyschopathy because I can see traits in myself. But I do feel fear, remorse, guilt, and plenty of emotional empathy. It's the alexythimia and masking that I share.

Anyhow, my 2 cents.

My best guess is that it's because they can be easy to confuse for those not familiar with them because a lot of conditions have similarities.

Both psychopathy are ASD are related to empathy (one cognitive and one emotional). Both people with ASD and psychopathy do a lot of masking to cover traits. Masking itself creates a sense of manipulation of others and a lack of identity, which is a hallmark of psychopathy.

Both have excetutive function problems and ADHD as a comorbid condition for both.

Alexithymia results in behavior and cognitive processess that resemble pyschopathy.

I read a lot about pyschopathy because I can see traits in myself. But I do feel fear, remorse, guilt, and plenty of emotional empathy. It's the alexythimia and masking that I share.

Anyhow, my 2 cents.

It is possible to have ASD and ASPD at the same time, although that is very rare.

Yep. It's also possible to be misdiagnosed :) The clinician needs to understand the thought process, and the person needs to be able to communicate the process. Behavior is not enough.

...while those with ASPD do so with mens rea?
And that is the fundamental difference. ASPD people appear to have a high acuity of the perceptions of others and a unique ability to manipulate perceptions of others. This is the complete opposite of the lack of "theory of mind" that autistic people possess. It's not so much of a difference of intention--but more of a difference in skill.

Another common though not universal feature is that many ASPD people are the "center of social attention," whereas perhaps most ASD people are ignored and left out of the social attention loop.

It should not be hard for a professional to discern the difference between people who have these characteristics. Unfortunately, to a lot of casual observers the behavior of the ASD person looks just the same as Ted Bundy.

Laymen view them backward. They'll fear the autistic person because they tend to blunder around social standards. That makes autistic people look "strange" and humans instinctively fear other people who behave "strangely." 😲

OTOH, some (not all) ASPD may well be a master of social behavior and fit in perfectly. They get an unreasonable level of trust because they are so cool. 😎

New Threads

Top Bottom