• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Getting rid of Google

Billthecat

V.I.P Member
I need a phone like most of the world needs, but I'm completely upset about the continuous privacy invasion about that company.

There's a way of getting rid of the cookies and all the other baking products without buying a vegetable brand phone?

Is it just my opinion or is it something you consider?

I don't use internet on my phone and when I bought a new one I uninstalled and deleted everything, I only use it to call and send text messages. But I know that doesn't work for everyone. The phone screens and keyboards are also just way too small for me to use the internet.

Last edited:
I'm worse than you, @Forest Cat . My phone doesn't have a sim card in it.

I run a voip service over my internet service and the android phone is just a hand piece. What I love about that is it can't receive texts. It's just a phone.

I use DuckDuckGo instead of Google as a search engine on my phone and laptops. When it comes to cookies, my experience has been that sites need to give you a choice to see them if they aren't necessary due to EU regulations, so I almost always go to the settings and turn them off. I'm sure you can do way more, but I'm pretty tech illiterate.

I use DuckDuckGo instead of Google as a search engine on my phone and laptops. When it comes to cookies, my experience has been that sites need to give you a choice to see them if they aren't necessary due to EU regulations, so I almost always go to the settings and turn them off. I'm sure you can do way more, but I'm pretty tech illiterate.
DuckDuckGo is a little tainted now as they started to censor what comes up in searches.

I use the Brave browser now.

Built in adblocker, privacy, etc.
https://brave.com/

Yeah. But fear not only Google. There is another to be far more concerned about when it comes to robbing a user of their privacy. They're called "Microsoft". A publicly traded corporation that has shifted its marketing mentality to compete with Google in harvesting anyone and everyone's data. But unlike Google, Microsoft can observe virtually everything you do the moment you turn on your computer, assuming you are running any recent version of the "Windows" OS.

I've spent a few years methodically depriving Microsoft of such data through the use of a freeware application called "Glary Utilities 5.0". After each browser session, I routinely go into Glary's "privacy and security" section and choose their "tracks eraser". A function that allows you to be aware of and selectively pick what items Windows automatically sends to Microsoft through their telemetry function. Leaving Microsoft with very little to peruse in their quest to sell anyone our data. Though having the telemetry function perpetually on allows Microsoft to also tax your system resources at times when you may need them.

https://www.glarysoft.com/glary-utilities/downloadupdate.php
In the past I created a post about simply turning off the "telemetry" function within the Windows services. Something a number of privacy advocates support, though I found it problematic in that when I turned off this function as it seemed to sabotage their complex and convoluted update process. Though the worst aspect of telemetry with Microsoft remains how much of your computer's system resources may be used whenever they tap into your hard drive. Microsoft pretends to support this "Catch-22" option, but in my own case I felt penalized for doing so.

Which all left me to eventually ponder and accept the "nuclear option" of it all. You can bypass much of what Google does if you choose to avoid all their known applications. And I can curb Microsoft's data harvesting using Glary Utilities in Windows 10. Plus I use the Brave browser and their search engine as well. I still use Duck Duck Go-Go as well, though as it was pointed out they have started to exercise a certain degree of censorship. Likely due to legal pressures placed on the industry by government. A trend that is probably only going to get worse.

https://brave.com/
So......what is to be done to improve this present scenario ?

For the past year I have been learning to use a Linux distribution called "Mint 20.3 and 21.0 intended to completely replace the use of Microsoft Windows 10 and later abominations. And I'm at the point where I can stop using Windows entirely. I'm really beginning to love Linux, which doesn't do marketing telemetry for profit, and offers a superior OS that uses far less memory, is more secure and uses far less bloatware compared to Windows. And most of all, I can still run it all on a very fast, but older computer that isn't ready to be retired exclusively by Microsoft. Though I won't kid anyone about the work you may have to do to get a Linux distro up and running optimally.

Getting rid of Google? Get rid of Micro$oft Window$. While you're using third-party browsers and extensions to protect your privacy, your Windows OS is still reporting back to Microsoft most everything you do through their built-in telemetry service. Even routinely using Glary Utilities 5.0 and the Brave browser and search engine won't stop it all.

Though you also have to option of rationalizing that if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear. In my own case, it all boils down to the sanctity of my own right to privacy as a consumer. Where we all can be bombarded by those trying to sell you something you don't want, need or asked for. Government spying on you is likely the least of such concerns, compared to the profit motive of so many within the private sector of the economy.

Last edited:
Used to hate Google with a passion and that was because EVERYONE used it and that alone made me feel rebellious. But, now, sigh, have fallen for the "charms" of Google and you will often hear me say: oh, just google it!

I don't mind the privacy invasion, so to speak, because it helps me to find what I am looking for and goes with my preferences, which is handy.

Use Brave Browser or Tor Browser for privacy...use Duckduckgo for your searches, they don't store or track your searches...maybe look into a VPN service. You can add Privacy Badger in FireFox...there's all sorts of ways of getting google out of your life.

On that subject, delete your FaceBook account. That is one the worst apps that you can use...they track EVERYTHING! Even when you're not logged in...not sure if they were ordered to stop that prcatice or not, I know they did...along with tapping your microphone. Get rid of FaceBook as soon as you can.

These are all good advices.

But, I spend most of the day outside, and I can't even think about a pc or notebook with me, at home I've got my own Linux terminal.

I know Android is based on Linux kernel, but since some years has become a Google property, here you can't even find alternative app stores anymore, you are forced to made privacy concessions in order to make them work.

I also don't want to spend my money to buy something with a munched fruit on it, and it's fact they violate privacy too.

What can I do without resuming the BB10 outdated operating system?

Personally I wouldn't go near any OS operating on a mobile device. Seems they're just to susceptible to being compromised. If you're truly concerned about privacy, your best bet is to eschew the use of a mobile device, period.

The few exceptions might be those very few Linux operating systems one can install on a cellphone. Though I suspect you'd still be exposed to some degree of tracking with a browser and search engine. (Unless perhaps you can install a phone version of Brave.) Since you're a Linux user at home, you might make something like this work.

https://itsfoss.com/linux-phones/

New Threads

Top Bottom