• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Guilt, Shame and Stress around Sensory Issues

Cutesie

V.I.P Member
My sensory sensitivities flare up and simmer down depending on my moods. Some can disappear for months. I talk here specifically about the times when I'm relatively stable emotionally.

Here is an example: I don't like touching metal door handles. They make me feel yucky. I'll often wait for someone else to open the door, or I'll use something other than my hands to do it myself. What happens if I do touch it with my hands? On bad days, it can get rough, spiking my anxiety and worsening other sensory triggers. On good days, I may feel like avoiding it, but nothing really happens if I do it. The negative thoughts in those times is probably a warning from the bad moments.

There are two issues that I have:

1) I don't often know what the proper balance should be when dealing with these issues. Should I put covers on the doors in my house? Only the ones that are mostly used by me, or also where everyone else hangs out? (Any recommendations for specific covers would be helpful; perhaps I'll ask in a separate thread.)

What should I do out in the world? Do I carry a small towel and look weird every time? (I carry a couple of other items for dealing with sensory stuff, such as sunglasses.) Do I use my clothing to avoid touch, like I usually do? These aren't questions that anyone can answer; there will always be more. It's not simply about door knobs. I'm pointing out the struggle that I, and I'm sure many, deal with in not knowing how much to fight and when to be kind to oneself by giving in.

2) Thinking about and living with making these decisions leads to guilt, self-reproach and self-loathing. Some of the questions that I ask are: Why am I like this? Why can't I understand that life has difficulties? If I am feeling well and the sensitivities aren't really there, why do I still try avoiding?

All of this applies equally to the OCD-type symptoms that I have. For reference, I am diagnosed with neither ASD nor with OCD. As is often the case, much of what I'm thinking is stuck between the lines here.

You might try carrying a glove with you. After covid, many people want to avoid germs, so it wouldn't look too strange to put on a glove to open a door.
I have touch sensitivity also. My main one is having aversion to fabric on my skin, but that one I just have to tough it out since people wouldn't like me being naked in public. I also hate being touched, so handshakes and hugs are horrible. I have a t shirt that says "Please don't touch me. I'm autistic "

I also hate being touched, so handshakes and hugs are horrible. I have a t shirt that says "Please don't touch me. I'm autistic "
Your touch sensitivity must be real bad to have you do that. I don't know how "autistic" you look, so I don't know how big of a step it is for you to announce it like that. While I often yearn to tell the whole world all of my problems, I'm not at that point. You've clearly decided that wearing that badge is necessary.

This is precisely what I'm trying to get at. The word "masking" is still fairly knew to me, but I obviously know well what it is. How autistic should I be willing to be? I stopped trying to not flap my hands and wring my fingers in public, but unless in very great distress, I do try not to clap. I'll risk exposure by keeping a paci in my pocket (it gives me comfort by just being there), but not enough to take it out. I felt proud of myself for leaving a social scene last week, when the "win" is usually to tough it out and stay. It's a constant battle of trying to make choices and not knowing they are the right ones. .

I often use my shirt tail to open knobs around the house and a paper towel to open the restroom door knobs in public restrooms. For me it is more about bacteria though (especially bathroom type bacteria). There is a family member who does not like to wash their hands that is why I don't like handling the knobs at home. Sometimes I will use a dry paper towel to turn on light switches and such. My dad likes to mock me about things like this, but if he would wash his hands after certain things I would not feel the need to do this. I end up cleaning knobs alot too.

New Threads

Top Bottom