• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Harp saga, part 2

TBRS1

Transparent turnip
V.I.P Member
About a month and a half ago, I decided to buy a tiny harp to see if I could learn to play it. I love harp music.

The harp I got (knowing nothing about harps, at the time) has 12 strings, but it turns out that 12 strings will only get me up to lesson 3 in the Learn to Play a Harp book.

In lesson 4 I can't play all the notes, 'cause the strings aren't there. Turns out I need a harp with at least 22 strings (the huge harps you see in symphony orchestras have around 40 strings).

Also, the little 12 stringer is much to small to set on my lap. It's OK played one handed because the off hand can hold the harp up, but playing 2 handed is a no-go.

But what I was able to do was very fun, and actually sounded pretty.

So I immediately started looking for a cheap 22 string harp. Watched many YouTube reviews of cheap harps, and better harps, and harps recommended harp teachers, and more, and more.

After a week's worth of intense cost benefit analysis, I decided that my best option was to splurge on a hand made harp built by a well respected harp maker. This one has 29 strings, making it a large lap harp (lap harps are intended to be easily portable. The next size up is a small "floor harp" and they are awkward to transport - they may not fit easily into a small car).

This is a pic of the model I ordered:

sonnet_cl-3_640x640.jpg

I don't have it yet - still being made - won't be done 'till early December.

That's amazing, how hard is it to learn to play it for you, and how much time do you spend daily for one lesson?
I spend, maybe, an hour or two - a bit here, go do something, come back, play a bit... The way I used to fill bits of time with little games on my pad.

The thing that makes the harp especially fun is that even very simple tunes sound pretty, so you start feeling good about the noises you're making right away.

Easier than most string instruments because all you have to do is learn where your hand goes, and in what order you twitch your fingers. You don't have to fret anything, just watch that your nails don't touch a string & make it buzz.

New Threads

Top Bottom