• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Have You Ever Been Followed Wherever You Go Due To Your Autism Traits?

I never had a problem with most police, I found most of them pretty easy to get along with. As teenagers whenever we got in to trouble it was always me that ended up talking to the police and we'd get let off with a warning. I got away with so much more than most people were able to and I'm not really sure why. For some reason they just seemed to like me.

Last edited:
I also have never had problems with police. I was told very young to always be respectful to police. I have been astonished at reading all the negative reactions autistic people have to police.

Common as dirt, IMO.

I'd think one who appears outside of "perceived norms" from a perspective of law enforcement is quite likely to draw suspicion with them. Not necessarily to draw any specific conclusions in real time, but simply that you are on their "radar".

I never forget the reality that most police officers are trained observers, and likely have inherently higher powers of observation than the average person. And to never mistaken their friendly demeanor as meaning you are "off the hook" with them.

Quite illuminating to be able to interact with persons in insurance investigation who had prior law enforcement backgrounds. And how skilled some are at casually interrogating people much to their own detriment.

So I took my parents very seriously when they firmly told me as a child that I must learn to make eye contact with people, especially the police. Or be presumed to be dishonest. Not to mention having members of my own family in federal law enforcement. :oops:

Last edited:
Yes, my traits have caused suspicion on a few occasions. The eye contact issue, or lack there of, makes authorities assume dishonesty in conversation/ interrogation. Body language and facial expressions can be misinterpreted also.
I was always polite to police when pulled over or while interacting, most times I got let go or a minor ticket.
On the most important occasion in my life of police interaction, they assumed I was being dishonest and things went REALLY bad. An overzealous officer bucking for promotion fabricated a web of lies in effort to make himself look good. It took too long for the other officers to recognize my honesty. It left a permanent distrust and contempt for detectives and deputies.
Their belief that everyone is a crook is a dangerous unhealthy bias. I shudder to think how things would have gone if I was a person of color (not white looking).

(F you VCGTF and Slomenski, karma comes around)

Various athorities often see the unusual traits some autistic people have and assume they are a threat. I was wondering how common this is?
Very.

A trained observer is to do exactly that. However, do also consider, (1) they don't know you and (2) they may not be trained in all the various physical and mental conditions that might account for any sort of "aberrant" behavior. In other words, they are specifically trained in identifying "different" or "suspicious" behaviors, but not all the reasons why it might present. Unfortunately, some do let their cognitive biases get the better of them and come to false assumptions and conclusions, then find themselves interacting with people in wrong ways before having all their facts.

Unfortunately, some do let their cognitive biases get the better of them and come to false assumptions and conclusions, then find themselves interacting with people in wrong ways before having all their facts.

And that's where you don't want to challenge them personally in real-time. Even when it's patently obvious they are in the wrong. When those cognitive biases get the best of them and they might "thump you" in the process.

So the safest thing to do is to keep your cool and let the system play it all out and make the most of your legal representation. Above all, not to flee or resist arrest if it happens.

How do you get the eye contact part right though. If you avoid eye contact you appear dishonest. If you make eye contact your considered creepy and potentially dangerous. If you alternate you have a shifty gaze and are apparently looking dishonest again. That is referring to people's reactions in general.

It was a little confusing at the store where I used to work. When cops would come in, I looked at them and smiled as I continued walking. They would then get uneasy acting. One even put his hand on his holster once. So I starting avoiding looking at them, so I would not make them feel nervous or whatever. I well learned at home to avoid eye contact with my dad most of the time so he can be partially appeased at feeling like the unquestioned alpha. I have no idea how the cops responded to this because I was not looking at them. Later, a bad incident happened in the store and I was down on the ground laughing hysterically. Afterwards cops seemed to always make a point of speaking and being friendly to me.😳

How do you get the eye contact part right though. If you avoid eye contact you appear dishonest. If you make eye contact your considered creepy and potentially dangerous. If you alternate you have a shifty gaze and are apparently looking dishonest again. That is referring to people's reactions in general.
Sadly that strikes me as the ultimate question. One most likely asked by anyone on the spectrum. I can only answer by pointing out that you should not avoid eye contact as it can immediately get you into trouble with law enforcement. Keeping in mind that in real-time you may seem like all is well, but it all comes down to what a police officer may be thinking, with the assumption that they are not about to project their suspicions to you.

The real issue is one's individual traits and behaviors, particularly under stress. And whether or not they have the ability to subdue them, which seems unlikely in many cases of those of us on the spectrum. As innocent and innocuous as they are to us, they are not likely to be perceived as such by law enforcement. Unless perhaps like is the case of my local police department being trained to some degree in dealing with autistic citizens. Those who might mitigate their instincts of suspicion.

The main thing is to forget "peoples' reactions" and understand that with interactions with law enforcement that you are likely dealing with a trained observer.

And for those of you who find this impossible to do, you might consider getting some kind of medical card that substantiates your autism relative to whatever traits and behaviors that might compromise any potential interaction with law enforcement.

Otherwise look them in the eye (no matter how uncomfortable) and hope for the best.

Stare them down, directly in the eyes. I say who cares if it seems creepy or how they feel about your gaze. They already assume you are dangerous. The shifting gaze sets off their internal alarms.

Stare them down, directly in the eyes. I say who cares if it seems creepy or how they feel about your gaze. They already assume you are dangerous. The shifting gaze sets off their internal alarms.

Indeed. Depending on the circumstances, the only thing one has to lose is their own life.

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: These four items hold for me.

1. By definition of my autism, I have diminished capability to accurately judge what others think of me.
2. By definition of my autism, I have an inward focus and over-index on what happens to me directly.
3. By definition of being ND, there will always be something "off" about me which I do not have the capability to identify (and likely the NT does not either).
4. Caring what others think of me results in a lot of wasted energy.

Life is just way easier not caring how others perceive me. In the USA, businesses can't detain me unless they actually witness me putting an item and walking out without paying for it. Which isn't going to happen. So. 🤷‍♂️

"Followed wherever you go" is a strong response from police.

ASD alone doesn't make people stick out that much. in comparison, people with no social boundaries at all are more obvious and much more disruptive.

Police would need to observe something that required them to act, or receive an unusual complaint (a vague "acting suspiciously" complain might require them to engage, but you'd expect them to talk to the person immediately rather than follow them.

Has this actually happened to you? Was it real police, or e.g. store security?

New Threads

Top Bottom