• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello again

Fern_14

Hi, I made an account here several years ago when I first started questioning if I could be autistic. (In my first post I explain what my experience is like, if you want to read.)

https://www.autismforums.com/threads/hi-i-have-a-question.33892/
I tried asking a doctor I met once if I should get tested and she said no, that I wasn't autistic, because I was able to make eye contact. I was masking at the time, and did not feel comfortable with the eye contact. But I couldn't express this to her because I really struggle with expressing things to doctors effectively. I was feeling really upset, and I just cried for the rest of the appointment and left and never went back.

After this appointment I tried to live my life as neurotypical. But I was (and still am) constantly stressed from the overstimulation and overexertion and masking. It got a lot worse after starting college. I am revisiting the potential that I am autistic again, but I am nervous to go get tested because I am scared of being dismissed again.

I'm not sure how to end this post...but I am looking forward to talking with you all :)

Hello Fern, with a little green frog on a rose petal. So very lovely. Glad to have you back.

Women have a more difficult time getting and accurate diagnosis. This is well known, but not yet well remedied. Do you have a specific need for a positive diagnosis?

Hello Fern, with a little green frog on a rose petal. So very lovely. Glad to have you back.

Women have a more difficult time getting and accurate diagnosis. This is well known, but not yet well remedied. Do you have a specific need for a positive diagnosis?
Thank you, I am glad to be back!

My gender identity itself is not female but I was born female and have most people assume that I am. So yeah, I've really struggled with getting doctors to understand me and take me seriously.

It's not quite that I need a diagnosis, but I wish it could be "officially" confirmed. I feel like it's not okay for me to say I am autistic without a diagnosis. Even though I know it is technically okay, and I have no problems with other people doing it. I just hesitate to do it myself, in case I am wrong. Even though I relate so much to people here and autistic experiences in general, I worry I am somehow wrong and misleading myself.

I have accommodations at college for my other health conditions, so that part isn't an issue.

Thank you, I am glad to be back!

My gender identity itself is not female but I was born female and have most people assume that I am. So yeah, I've really struggled with getting doctors to understand me and take me seriously.

What gender and pronouns do you prefer?
It's not quite that I need a diagnosis, but I wish it could be "officially" confirmed. I feel like it's not okay for me to say I am autistic without a diagnosis. Even though I know it is technically okay, and I have no problems with other people doing it. I just hesitate to do it myself, in case I am wrong. Even though I relate so much to people here and autistic experiences in general, I worry I am somehow wrong and misleading myself.

I have accommodations at college for my other health conditions, so that part isn't an issue.
If you don’t need accommodations, it sounds like there isn’t an urgent practical need for a diagnosis. You might want to hang around here for a while and see how the label fits you. Then you might have more confidence when approaching a doctor.

At any rate, glad to have you hear.

Hey welcome back!
Thank you!

Alright, great to meet you. Welcome back.
Nice to meet you as well, thank you!

What gender and pronouns do you prefer?

If you don’t need accommodations, it sounds like there isn’t an urgent practical need for a diagnosis. You might want to hang around here for a while and see how the label fits you. Then you might have more confidence when approaching a doctor.

At any rate, glad to have you hear.
My gender is a little confusing, but I think I prefer he/him pronouns.
You are right. After reading your post I realized it's okay to take my time on this journey and approach a doctor if/when I feel ready to. Thank you for your help!

Thank you!

Nice to meet you as well, thank you!

My gender is a little confusing, but I think I prefer he/him pronouns.
You are right. After reading your post I realized it's okay to take my time on this journey and approach a doctor if/when I feel ready to. Thank you for your help!
He/him it is!

New Threads

Top Bottom