• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi from AspieSong.

AspieSong

The name is because I have always loved to sing in choirs. I am a bass and currently sing in 3 choirs. I have taken voice lessons the past 3 years.

I am almost 70 years old. My wife died in Dec. I am in therapy because of the stress of caring for her at home with the help of caregivers as her health deteriorated. Two years ago my therapist said I was high functioning Asperger's syndrome. My know-it-all sister said my younger brother was, too, as well as our father. So I spent some time playing mental movies of my past, with the insight that, yes, I was different -- my brain was wired differently. I have "passed" pretty well. I married an extrovert who was very explicit in explaining social conventions to me and I learned a lot from her. Even so, my affiliation needs were adequately met by singing next to a fellow bass in choir practice for a couple of hours. I don't have any real friends that I interact with regularly except for choir practice.

So right now I am adjusting to living alone (with two cats) and going through probate. My wife had three grown children when I met her and they have been very supportive. I am fortunate in having them, because my own siblings are difficult to deal with. I tend to limit social occasions because I feel mortified afterwards at my faux pas. This is probably too much information, so I'll stop.

Hi! :)

Don't worry. There's no such thing as "too much" or "too little" information on AspiesCentral, generally speaking. I hope you find some degree of comfort in knowing that you're not alone here.

Hi Aspiesong and welcome,
My condolences to you and your family. So glad you found us. This a great place to find answers and like minded people. And being Aspie Central, no such thing as a long post in here

Welcome to AC AspieSong.

I was a caregiver to my mother who died at 81 back in 2006. I know what a difficult and draining experience that can be. Yup, as Ereth says, there's never "too much" information you can post here. It's what we do! ;)

Welcome :)

That was a lovely introduction. I'm sorry for the loss of your wife, and the stress you've had to endure, but it is good to see you have some help to recover from it all.

Welcome, aspiesong, I am sorry to hear of your wife's passing. You have my condolences.

I think it's wonderful that you are in 3 choirs and have found some people that you talk with on occasion. I think that keeping somewhat busy helps to help heal your heart and brain when stressful things such as the passing of a loved one happens. You are in my thoughts and prayers. I'm glad you found us. I am brand new here, too. *gentle hugs*

New Threads

Top Bottom