• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hiding our feelings from platonic NTs

Is it best to keep care for friends feelings hidden from NT friends?

• Aspie - yes best to keep hidden

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Aspie - no best to share

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • NT - yes best to keep hidden

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NT - no best to share

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
Just lost a really close NT friend, and I know that I can not tell them how I feel as it will only cause them pain.

I care for people far more deeply than I should, it makes me both vunrable and/or upsets the NT too much.

At a young age I learnt to shutdown these feelings because that made me too vunrable and/or overstep the mark.

Years ago I saw a 60 year old male balding friend of my being bullied at work, I could not stand to see my friend being bullied so I reported it to management in the full knowledge that I would most likely be blacklist, because the welfare of my friend was more important to me than my own.

As is I lost my $160K p/a job and was unable to find work for over 18 months due to my former employer contacting multiple employment agencies.

Years later I got a second (lower paying job) and formed friends with a female NT.

Anyway, I lost my friend in part because our catchups were time boxed out into short/safe coffee meeting during working hours. During our last told me how she her manager/other had completely ruined her day and micro managed her, and things were getting worse. Then the coffee meeting was over and we returned to the office.

As is this had been building up for some time and I'd been asking for catch outside of work where I did not have to re-engage my mask and return to my desk, but anyway.

For me, given this had been building up over the past couple of months, the information sent me into a meltdown/implosion.

During the implosion I told her how much I cared for her(poorly worded), for her I had transgressed the platonic, but for me I knew it was irrelevant if she was female or a 60 year old balding male, and did not understand why I should care less for her than I did for my male friend years before.

I know I have caused her pain, and this causes more conflict and turmoil within me that I have hurt a friend.

But finally I know that it is nothing I can fix, and know it is best for her to think of me as uncaring jerk.

Anyway each time I have shared my feelings with a platonic NT female friend it has crashed and burnt (a number got offended when I declined their advances, females (unlike) males have less experience being declined by someone who cares deeply for them), and I have learnt my lesson for a few years or so.

As is this post is part an attempt to avoid fixing this issue, and part to ask have others found that they have cared too deeply for others, and found it best to keep this care hidden and instead expose a cold uncaring persona?

Last edited:
Honesty 1-1 is usually the best way to go, but it really depends on the context of the situation. Consider interactions (or lack thereof) as well.

As is I lost my $160K p/a job and was unable to find work for over 18 months due to my former employer contacting multiple employment agencies.

Isn't that illegal?

It will never do to be completely selfless. Let grown adults take care of themselves. I didn't quite catch what the problem with the female friend was, but it sounded like she was more of a jerk to you than you to her.

I do express to my platonic friends how much I care for them. It's a way for me to make sure that even if it's not always apparent, they do mean the world to me. Without the pantsfeelings. It's relatively new for me to do this (it's been a few years now) but it makes me feel better. I think it's good to know where you stand with your friends and vice versa.

New Threads

Top Bottom