• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How to process a new mental health diagnosis?

mysterionz

oh hamburgers!
V.I.P Member
move to a different category if not suited here. Chose here because the disorder i got diagnosed with is a common comorbidity with autism.

I got diagnosed with bipolar disorder after being discharged from therapy two and a half weeks ago. I’m still processing it because I thought my unstable behavior/mood were caused by trouble regulating my mood.

Right now, my episodes are of the euphoric kind, but I have to be careful as too much euphoria can be a bad thing. I get stuck in these episodes anywhere from about a few days to a week or two (currently) despite being on a mood stabilizer, which has virtually eliminated strong negative emotions like anger. Some days I get so happy that my confidence is abnormally high and I feel like im a celebrity. My PCP appt isn’t until late November and I have to wait until 9/12 for my appt with my other doctor.

How do I process this?

First and foremost, I would say take a deep breath and just let any new info settle in. Part of processing is giving yourself time to think of the thing from as many different angles as you need to. You can seek information, seek support, and seek things that may help you with this - all these things can help you understand what sort of real impact this may have.

Really, it doesn't change who you are or who you have been. I think a diagnosis is useful for understanding and can guide you toward useful supports, medications, and ways to adapt your life, but it does not change who you are.

Glad you are still here. My partner has bipolar, but he refuses meds. Sometimes he lies, but at least he admits that he can lie. It's a path we move thru together. He tried and succeeded in raising his daughter, we hit some dead-end streets, but later we were on a better path. My advice, only keep those around you who support you 100% everyday. You may wish to disclose bipolar to your close inner circle of friends only, if you feel they support you.

Well you are on a path to self discovery, take time to reflect how this makes you feel and bask in your achievements of discovery and explore your deepest fears.

"Some days I get so happy that my confidence is abnormally high and I feel like im a celebrity" - that's what music does to me but it has the complete opposite effect too and turns me into a mop and I can't uplift my deep sorrow. It's why I have avoided music and when I do listen I try not to put it to heart otherwise... It can alter my mood.

Congrats on the diagnosis, I'm not sure if anything else will follow in the autism sense, maybe someday and I'm sorry to hear about your severe hardships. I wish you good luck, health and mood stability.

Really, it doesn't change who you are or who you have been. I think a diagnosis is useful for understanding and can guide you toward useful supports, medications, and ways to adapt your life, but it does not change who you are.

Definitely this. I was going to say the same!

After getting something like 11+ mental health diagnoses in my life (some of which didn't make a whole lot of sense), it's helpful to recognize when you have symptoms of something and a label attached to it, since it's really just there to better serve you so that you can manage it better, relate to other people, etc.

I used to think they were more like demons, but now I see them as roadmaps. Having a diagnosis or even knowing yourself a little better can help a ton of things in your life, because it's like having a quick and easy term on hand instead of trying to explain your entire life to someone just to get the point across :).

Even though these labels can be extremely helpful, it's important to realize we're all unique humans first and foremost.

New Threads

Top Bottom