• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I am Curious About Making Game Mods

Joshua the Writer

Very Nerdy Guy, Any Pronouns
V.I.P Member
Browing the Nexus mod list for Skyrim and seeing various quest mods has shown what people can accomplish with modding the game when it comes to adding new narratives and player choices. Heck, Enderal is a whole new game (to the point of having its own Steam page). I kind of want to make my own modded quests using Skyrim and I am wondering the best place to start when it comes to learning how to mod the game.

I don't have a copy yet, but you need to download the Bethesda Creation Kit from Steam's website.

There's forums where you should be able to find all the help you need. One thing I've noticed with Skyrim mods - any mod that adds NPCs interferes with in game scripts and there'll be quests you can't start or can't complete if you use them.

Youtube can be a good place to start with this. With a big game like Skyrim there should be tutorials to help you get started on it once you have the proper thing downloaded.

Just be prepared for some frustration and such. Making something like that aint easy, even with tutorials.

Also be sure to back up all of your saves & data and whatnot before doing anything at all.

I don't have a copy yet, but you need to download the Bethesda Creation Kit from Steam's website.

There's forums where you should be able to find all the help you need. One thing I've noticed with Skyrim mods - any mod that adds NPCs interferes with in game scripts and there'll be quests you can't start or can't complete if you use them.
I already got the creation kit installation ready.

I ventured into Falskaar last week some 12 years since I last tried that (one of the most famous Skyrim mods of user-created content), and it corrupted my whole Skyrim install. Arrgh.

Anyway, just glad to see another Dragonborn Aspie :) Good luck with the modding.

I ventured into Falskaar last week some 12 years since I last tried that (one of the most famous Skyrim mods of user-created content), and it corrupted my whole Skyrim install. Arrgh.

Anyway, just glad to see another Dragonborn Aspie :) Good luck with the modding.
Thank you. I decided that I should do different projects before trying to learn. I should first be familiar with how mods work first and I just download the mods and try to learn how their features work.

Yeah, this is the big problem that's likely to be run into with modding that game.

Like all Bethesda games, Skyrim is buggier than a pile of glitched-out roaches. Poke it the wrong way... or heck, poke it the RIGHT way... and it could just detonate.

Granted it's capable of doing that even without mods, but WITH mods? Much higher chance. Doesnt matter what mods they are, it could get corrupted.

General rule of game modding, whether you're making a mod or just downloading some: back up EVERYTHING that the game might conceivably touch before doing so. And make sure you know what files it's capable of touching. There are some games that can take other things with them, if dealt with wrong (though I dont think Skyrim can do that).

New Threads

Top Bottom