• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I can’t stop falling apart in class

Lucid

Okay so I just started high school and I have been falling apart in class way more than I did in previous years. By falling apart I mean getting angry, crying, going completely silent, shaking, freezing up, stuff like that.
Today in biology this happened to me. I was unable to do my work and sat at my desk, crying, covering my ears and shaking for 30 minutes. The teacher didn’t notice, or didn’t care, it doesn’t really matter either way. Once class was over my friend had to convince me to stand up. He took me to the attendance office and I went home because I was ‘sick’.
How do I stop this!?

The teacher didn’t notice, or didn’t care, it doesn’t really matter either way.
I'm sure that your teacher noticed if you were doing what was described. I'd bet that your teacher cares, too. Has your teacher seen you do something like this before? They may simply not know yet how to handle it, and may be seeking advice right now.
How do I stop this!?
I'm sorry not to have any answers. The way that I dealt with problems in school was just not to go; I promise you that this wasn't the right move.

Hi @Lucid,
Sorry to hear high school is off to a rough start.

You said it's worse now than before - can you think of things that made class more manageable before? Are What sort of things help you feel calm and comfortable?

Do you have any adult support, like a teacher who understands, a therapist, a parent you can talk to, or a good guidance counselor?

Are there any parts of high school that are going well for you? Any classes that you do like?

Hi @Lucid,
Sorry to hear high school is off to a rough start.

You said it's worse now than before - can you think of things that made class more manageable before? Are What sort of things help you feel calm and comfortable?

Do you have any adult support, like a teacher who understands, a therapist, a parent you can talk to, or a good guidance counselor?

Are there any parts of high school that are going well for you? Any classes that you do like?
I'm not sure whether the questions were rhetorical or not, but I do thank you for asking them because they're likely questions I'll hear later (I need time to think of answers, so I like having questions in advance). I don't want to make it seem like high school is all terrible. Band is really fun!

I'm not sure whether the questions were rhetorical or not, but I do thank you for asking them because they're likely questions I'll hear later (I need time to think of answers, so I like having questions in advance). I don't want to make it seem like high school is all terrible. Band is really fun!
The questions were not rhetorical, but also no pressure at all to answer. ☺️ I was trying to think of what might help, and I am often full of questions.

Sometimes, we can look at things in our life that are going well and see what we can learn about those situations. This can actually help us learn how to navigate more difficult situations and come up with some solutions.

Happy to hear you enjoy band. 🎶

Hi @Lucid,

You said it's worse now than before - can you think of things that made class more manageable before?
@Lucid, I'm going to try explaining a bit - as far as I can tell - why @Rodafina asked each question.

You just got to high school and your ability to handle class changed with it. There must be something that's different. It could simply be the change. You're in a different place, a new building with unfamiliar peers and adults. But there may be specific things that got harder, such as the level of study and/or homework. Figuring this out can help just by identifying it for yourself, but also because you can then see what can be done to make things easier.
What sort of things help you feel calm and comfortable?
You might be able to use some of these things to lessen the negative feelings. There may be tools that your school can help with, too.
If you already have support, great. It would definitely be a good idea to talk to them about what you are feeling. If not, the school might have a guidance counselor or a therapist that you don't know about. Besides for getting someone to speak to, they should be able to help get for you accommodations from the school. If it's hard to ask about a guidance counselor, maybe your friend can help find out. It's often easier to ask about such things as a friend than for the person who needs the help.
It's always good to recognize that not everything is going wrong, even when it feels that way. You can also see if there's something happening to make those better that you can apply to the other classes that are causing the trouble.

Last edited:
Some people get all types of symptons starting classes, maybe be tough as you can and with a bit of time you will get used to it and the stress will go away at least some.

You might try to think of going to class with "tunnel vision". To sit and focus only on one thing. - Your teacher and whatever lesson is being presented. And nothing and no one else.

Total focus on only one person at all times. It may help to release social tension in being otherwise surrounded by people.

New Threads

Top Bottom