• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I Don’t Know What I’m Doings

I’m writing this here because I don’t know where else to go. I’m currently in my last year of University and I don’t know what I’m going to do next. I feel like I’m in a constant state of anxiety over what I should be doing next in regard to my career. I’ve had a bit of trouble looking for a job, the whole prospect is just so daunting that I have trouble knowing where to begin, and even when I do search through sights like LinkedIn all of the jobs and internships are either not in my field, overseas, or requiring more experience than I have.

I was made aware of this careers event at my University last week which is on tomorrow. I was gonna go to it assuming it was just a helpful event, but I didn’t realise until today that apparently you I needed to be fully prepared to know what these companies were offering and couldn’t just ask at the event.

I just don’t know what to do. Granted, I’m lucky enough to only have one subject this semester, but everything in my life has been so hectic lately that it all just blends together and I can’t concentrate due to things like work, commitments, and family issues. It all just kind of slipped my mind. Worst of all is that a few weeks ago, a close family member passed away and the aftermath has just been so much for all of us. My parents have been busy sorting out affairs related to the funeral, on top of being busy with their jobs, and while I’ve talked a little bit about my problems with them, I feel like I can’t fully talk to them because I don’t want to add more stress to their lives.

I just don’t know what to do right now, I’m just so lost.

Please read my post here. It describes how the hiring process works at a lot of companies, and gives step-by-step on how to game that to your advantage.

Outdated's advice on the same thread is good from the small business / local employment angle as well.

And I would not worry too much about not being an exact fit. But you should tailor your resume to each position.

Internal referrals trump a lot. and often there are "internal" roles that never get out publicly.

And remember, there is a financial incentive to the referrer, so you'd be surprised at how much they'll push for you to get hired behind the scenes.

There's also a lot of good advice in the video below, it's Tim Minchin's acceptance speech from when he graduated university - at age 37, so he had the advantage of having been in the outside world for quite a while. Tim is also autistic.

Be careful of "building a rod for your own back", setting goals for yourself that simply are not practical. What works for everyone else might not be appropriate for you.

Last edited:
Also (if you have a school psychologist), talk to them about searching for a job as an autistic.

Last edited:
There's also a lot of good advice in the video below, it's Tim Minchin's acceptance speech from when he graduated university - at age 37, so he had the advantage of having been in the outside world for quite a while. Tim is also autistic.
Well worth the watch.

I’m currently in my last year of University and I don’t know what I’m going to do next. I feel like I’m in a constant state of anxiety over what I should be doing next in regard to my career.

Many of us have been there. That scary point in time when your linear approach to life is about to abruptly end. While you may have attained the higher education you sought on a relatively smooth and linear path of personal growth, you're about to enter a whole new ballgame with unparalleled uncertainty. - More commonly referred to as the "job market".

For what it's worth, my own father passed away just a few months after I graduated. So I understand the degree of added stress involved in this scenario.

A process which is far likely to move in a non-linear fashion no matter what you do. So sit back, take a deep breath, and begin to accept that little is likely to come to you on your terms for the foreseeable future. To be prepared at times to feel disappointment over what is actually out there, and who is actually willing to hire you. To prepare yourself for the adult world. One which often "takes no prisoners". Where it's a waste of time to worry about being an "exact fit" compared to just getting your foot in the door to start with at an entry level position.

Having that fancy education is one thing. Making it work for you on the job may be quite another. Think about being able to do the job first, before you can enjoy lofty goals often associated with a career. You may in fact have many jobs before you actually find that "career".

Move "forward", but don't think too much about your ultimate destination, wherever it may take you.

Does your school / program have a co-op option?

If so, and it's not too late, I would suggest trying to get in.

Yes, you'll graduate later, but having some work experience and connections can be helpful in getting a better sense of what jobs/fields you may wish to pursue (or not).

A good plan of action is to plan to volunteer for something once a week. It could be at a library, soup kitchen, or maybe even a few conventions that occur once in awhile. Do something where you're doing some kind of work and this will give you some kind of experience. Potential employers like to see this. Many jobs look for x number of years of experience because they don't want to be sued and also because corporations can tend to be greedy too. Apply to some positions that you may appear to be "underqualified" for and some that seem to or may seem to fit you more, but always try to sell yourself as if you have the capability and need to be given the opportunity.

New Threads

Top Bottom