• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I got convinced to drive a tanker

Mattymatt

Imperfectly Perfect
My recruiter for Schneider National (the trucking company) convinced me to go to the tanker division instead of driving the standard tractor trailer. She said my hiring area is getting all of the new trucks and that I would be in a 2017 or 2018 Freightliner Cascadia. They're great trucks and easy to drive although a tanker is harder because you have to deal with liquid surging forward, backward, and side to side. The pay rate at 48 cents per mile with an extra 25.00 per load and unload as well as detention pay at 25.00 an hour after 2 hours is really good. Average miles per week are 1700-2150. So I am going to learn how to pull a tanker; industry calls this a tanker yanker position ... LOL! I am kind of glad she called me and offered this because I will get weekly home time and the terminal is only 25 miles from home which makes it so much easier. The downside is that training is a week longer and I have to go to orientation and training in Corapolis, PA which is 350 miles from home.

Oh Matt but is it safe? Don't want to hear your tanker got hit and blew up!!!! Hoping you are transporting non-flammable and non- toxic liquids!!!

Oh Matt but is it safe? Don't want to hear your tanker got hit and blew up!!!! Hoping you are transporting non-flammable and non- toxic liquids!!!
Yeah, I don't really want to get blown to smithereens either. At least Schneider doesn't handle flammables but will handle bulk chemicals that can be hazardous or corrosive. Most of what Schneider does is food grade tanking though. The key is to be very careful and leave plenty of stopping distance between my truck and the vehicle in front of me. Another important key is to slow way down to prevent a roll over when entering a curve. I am going to get quite a bit of additional training to help me be safe.

Well, that's somewhat comforting to hear. Yeah, stay safe Matt!!! But very happy for you that you got what you wanted. :D

Great that they recognised your skills and potential for a more advanced type of driving, respect! Watch out for cyclists it could be me... except I m in a different country. But big lorries scare me but they clearly take big skill to drive. Well done!

Great that they recognised your skills and potential for a more advanced type of driving, respect! Watch out for cyclists it could be me... except I m in a different country. But big lorries scare me but they clearly take big skill to drive. Well done!
LOL! If it were only so. Actually it has very little to do with skill at all. I have a tanker endorsement on my license and all you have to do is pass a written exam in order to have that added. It's more like Schneider needs drivers in that division. I am just one more butt to fill a seat. LOL!

Yeah, I don't really want to get blown to smithereens either. At least Schneider doesn't handle flammables but will handle bulk chemicals that can be hazardous or corrosive. Most of what Schneider does is food grade tanking though. The key is to be very careful and leave plenty of stopping distance between my truck and the vehicle in front of me. Another important key is to slow way down to prevent a roll over when entering a curve. I am going to get quite a bit of additional training to help me be safe.

Congratulations!!! Sounds awesome! Will you be open highway traveling? In winter conditions?

Congratulations!!! Sounds awesome! Will you be open highway traveling? In winter conditions?
It's a northeast regional position so it will be a combination of highway and city driving. Yep, I will be driving in winter conditions but I can make a safety call if I feel that the weather is deteriorating. I am not afraid to make a command decision if conditions are unsafe.

Today Food Grade Corrosives... tommorrow Liquid Aliens to Area 51. Good luck to ya!

New Threads

Top Bottom